Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split-op: What do you do between BCT and AIT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split-op: What do you do between BCT and AIT?

I want to join the Guard as a 13B or 13F. I like the split option because I want to make it to my freshman year of college on time and be squared away academically, and from my understanding both of these MOS's AITs can fit into a summer.

But say I attend BCT and go to college after, what do I do Guard-wise in that year where I'm not MOS qualified as a 13B? I'm assuming I'll still have to drill with my unit, but will I get time to do fire missions or learn anything about the MOS? I don't want to be stuck just doing PT and learning basic Army stuff while the other Red Legs get to shoot.

Also, are you deployable if you're a soldier (graduated BCT) but not yet MOS qualified?

Re: Split-op: What do you do between BCT and AIT?

After BCT, you'll be drilling with your RSP and not your actual unit. The things you learn will depend on them and YES, expect PT.

No, you are not deployable.

Comment

If you don't get to drill with your unit until AIT, instead of seeing it as being 'stuck' doing PT (which, by the way, is an important part of your time/career in the Army) and basic 'Army stuff', but take it as an OPPORTUNITY to hone your leadership skills.

After BCT I had many months to wait until my next training and my RSP cadre (all are different though) allowed me to HELP during RSP with the new recruits. I was given the opportunity to take small groups and teach D&C, help with practicing with rifles & PT, etc...

Albeit limited, you WILL come back with knowledge that the noobs don't have, use it as an opportunity to help your fellow soldiers get a leg up for when their time comes at BCT instead of whining about what you're 'stuck' with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        If you don't get to drill with your unit until AIT, instead of seeing it as being 'stuck' doing PT (which, by the way, is an important part of your time/career in the Army) and basic 'Army stuff', but take it as an OPPORTUNITY to hone your leadership skills.

After BCT I had many months to wait until my next training and my RSP cadre (all are different though) allowed me to HELP during RSP with the new recruits. I was given the opportunity to take small groups and teach D&C, help with practicing with rifles & PT, etc...

Albeit limited, you WILL come back with knowledge that the noobs don't have, use it as an opportunity to help your fellow soldiers get a leg up for when their time comes at BCT instead of whining about what you're 'stuck' with.
        +1!

Comment

Working...
        X