Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you be "stuck" in PTRP if injured during BCT?

Hello folks,

I've all but decided to enlist, but am continuing my 'due diligence' research...

Being at BCT/AIT (and away from my civilian job) will have a significant negative impact on our family income (have gone over the pay situation with my recruiter, and that takes into account BAH, tax advantages, etc -- and even considering reduced household expenses with me being away).

We can afford the income loss for the amount of time I'd be away for training for my intended MOS (and even somewhat longer) without undue burden, but the financial losses could become troublesome after some extended period of time.

I'm confident that I wouldn't have any problems making it through BCT/AIT, but "freak injury" can happen to anybody...

With that in mind, if you are injured during training and are sent to PTRP (or other medical/rehab type assignment vs. being sent home on convalescence leave or discharged), is there some "limit" on how long you can be "stuck" there if the injury is such that it requires a lengthy recovery? What's the realistic worst case scenario in terms of how long your BCT/AIT time could be extended by some nasty injury?

Thanks!

Re: How long can you be "stuck" in PTRP if injured during BCT?

We had a female in my BCT company who was injured and sent to FTU for rehab. In all it took her 9 months to graduate from basic. Now while this is a possibility you need to realize that this was an extreme and rare case. There were about 10 others in my BCT company who went home on con-leave for 30 days and a couple more who did not graduate with us due to being on profile and missing some major training events. Those who missed training events were rolled back to the next graduating company in our battalion so they could complete what they missed and graduate. The ones who were on con-leave would basically pick up with another company around the same week of training they left off on. My BCT company was fairly small. We started with 158 trainees and graduated 126. The majority of individuals who didn't graduate with us were from doing stupid things that either got them UCMJ'd or NSO (New Start Over) back to week 1 day 1. With all that being said, the odds are in your favor for graduating on time without and serious issues.

Comment

How would you financially handle a deployment when you are gone for 18 mos?

Comment

Originally posted by SierraBravo View Post
        We had a female in my BCT company who was injured and sent to FTU for rehab. In all it took her 9 months to graduate from basic. Now while this is a possibility you need to realize that this was an extreme and rare case. There were about 10 others in my BCT company who went home on con-leave for 30 days and a couple more who did not graduate with us due to being on profile and missing some major training events. Those who missed training events were rolled back to the next graduating company in our battalion so they could complete what they missed and graduate. The ones who were on con-leave would basically pick up with another company around the same week of training they left off on. My BCT company was fairly small. We started with 158 trainees and graduated 126. The majority of individuals who didn't graduate with us were from doing stupid things that either got them UCMJ'd or NSO (New Start Over) back to week 1 day 1. With all that being said, the odds are in your favor for graduating on time without and serious issues.
        Thanks, I appreciate the reply & perspective, very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          How would you financially handle a deployment when you are gone for 18 mos?
          I actually considered/researched that first... that scenario is actually much more 'affordable' from a financial standpoint than an extended stay at training (in part due to some civilian-side resources that become available to me in the case of an actual deployment).

Comment

Curious. Reason being, when deployed or sent to school, you are activated on federal orders. My former employer treated each instance as the same and I received the same benefits regardless.

If we knew what resources you are referring to, we may be able to assist.

Comment

Working...
            X