Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What do you think a Non-English speaking expect at Basic Training? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think a Non-English speaking expect at Basic Training?

Hi guys... I'm leaving the 17th of July, to basic training at Fort Jackson, and my little problem is that i don't know too much English, and sometimes i don't understand some words, I can write in English like i'm doing write now, is not perfect but atleast i'm trying.. I can talk English, but sometimes i'm afraid, if somebody hear me talking and laugh because maybe i said something wrong..

What do i should expect at basic? Do you think will be really bad for me? Share some story if while you has been in basic, there was people like me, and how the DS treat them..

THANKS!!!

Re: What do you think a Non-English speaking expect at Basic Training?

Well, while your writing isn't perfect it's better than much of what we see on this forum.

No matter what you do, Basic is designed to be stressful, so accept that you'll find yourself in situations of difficulty no matter what. That's part of the training, that's part of the experience. Maintain your focus, and do your best. If people laugh at your accent, just realize that everyone laughs at everyone for something, and don't let it bother you. That's their problem, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by luis05110 View Post
      Hi guys... I'm leaving the 17th of July, to basic training at Fort Jackson, and my little problem is that i don't know too much English, and sometimes i don't understand some words, I can write in English like i'm doing write now, is not perfect but atleast i'm trying.. I can talk English, but sometimes i'm afraid, if somebody hear me talking and laugh because maybe i said something wrong..

What do i should expect at basic? Do you think will be really bad for me? Share some story if while you has been in basic, there was people like me, and how the DS treat them..

THANKS!!!
      At my BCT experience, it varied depending on what your MOS was. If you were an 09L, we never saw you because you were off with the platoon sponsor doing who knows what. They seemed to have a different BCT experience than everyone else.

If you were not an 09L, then you were in with us and we gave you a funny nickname.... just like everyone else. Don't sweat it. It's going to be difficult no matter what, that's the point of BCT.

Comment

We had a Nepalese guy who spoke ZERO English. He didn't do that hot. The Drill Sergeants don't speak every language. We had a few Puerto Ricans, one of them spoke English very well, the other two understood it, but couldn't speak that clearly. As long as you understand what your Drill Sergeant is telling you, that's all that matters. In fact, the less ANYONE talks at Basic, the easier their life will be. Start working on the Soldier's Creed, now, so you can say it more easily when you need to. Other than that, you shouldn't have to talk too much.

Comment

Thank you very muchh

Comment

lol @ the LTC about what we see with grammar on this forum from native speakers. Luis, I have been to basic with non-speakers and served with my Soldiers that joined from Puerto Rico. Its challenging but you basically have to listen and do what you are told. Pair up with a battle buddy for assistance. One time, one recruit could not understand commands so bad, I was tasked to translate with my broken Spanish lol. It was an experience.

Comment

We had a Korean woman in my BCT platoon. She barely understood English, couldn't speak it fluently, couldn't shoot her weapon, and only passed the absolutely final APFT. She somehow graduated.

I wouldn't worry. Just do what everyone else around you does and you'll be fine.

Comment

Before and during BCT, practice, practice and practice your english. We had several at BCT that came in with minimal english skills. Some took the time to learn and try to improve on their english, others didn't try. Those that tried came out of Basic with a better understanding of english and had less difficult time during AIT. But those that didn't take the time to learn during BCT had a much more diffucult time at AIT because now they weren't with their Battle Buddies who did all of the translating before.

You get all types, and the only ones that were harrassed during my BCT were those that didn't try and didn't want to try. If a person put in honest effort to learning english, we all were willing to help out.

Comment

Yessss Yesss I will try my best.. I'm leaving this Wednesday the 17th.. Thank you all for your comments!!!!!

Comment

I know this is late and OP is gone.. but I had a similar story.

In Marine basic, we had a Chinese guy that never said anything but Yes Sir, No Sir, and Aye Sir the entire 3 months. He kept out of trouble and on the few times that we did try to talk to him, it was painfully obvious he didn't understand hardly any English. Amazing how these guys graduate but he passed everything, including tests.

I wonder where that little guy is now...

Comment

Working...
                    X