X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Questions about Reception

Hey guys. I finished MEPS and passed everything and secured my spot for 68W. I want to know if they do a height and weight test at reception? What's reception like, what do they test? What's "fat camp", how does it work? If I had to go to "fat camp" (which I highly doubt) would I go back to basic like nothing happened and my AIT spot would still be there when i'm done or what? Thanks for all your time.

Re: Few Questions about Reception

"Fat camp" usually happens after BCT if the soldier can't pass the final APFT. They are helf back to get in better shape and tested againa very couple of weeks. If you go to BCT in decent shape you will have no problem. If you have a weight/APFT problem concentrate on your PT and do extra during you free time in the evening. Also watch what you eat in the DFAC.

Your height and weight will be tested again at MEPS before you ship. If you need to loose weight, start now. Start running 4-5 days a week, knock out 25-40 push ups every hour or 2 duting the day and mix some situps on there. Cut out all soda, juice, coffee, etc. Drink lots of water.

Comment

"Fat Camp" as you call it is remedial PT. If you make it to your line company at BCT and start failing the PT test, they will pull you out of your company and take you back to Reception BN where you will be put in a special Company that does basically nothing but PT all day, every day. You would re-enter BCT "if" you could then make tape and pass the PT test at whatever point you left off, so you'd end up in a different Company or possibly even a different BN depending on where they are in the training cycle. This means you will be on station at BCT longer and your AIT slot is going to get jacked up. You might even lose it depending on timing.

AIRBORNE hit the nail on the head, don't go there expecting BCT to get you in shape. You should be able to pass the PT test as a first time go, otherwise you're just asking to get labeled by your DSs for the rest of the cycle.

Comment

Thanks guys. I know I can pass the PT test (1 mile 8:30, 17 SU 13 PU or something like that) I just think I weigh more than I should is all. First time i've heard of FTU, that's why I wanted to learn more about it. I got 3 months to drop weight so i'm good.

Comment

you should be aiming for the 2 mile, 2 min PU 2 min SU standards. Also, an 8:30 1 miles is only 17:00 2 mile and the second mile is always the slower one. And unless you are over 27 that is not a passing time. Once you get to BCT there is no more 1-1-1. Do you mind telling us what your height, weight, age and gender?

If you have a smart phone download the army APFT app and use it to test yourself weekly.

Comment

Male 18 yoa, 72 in, 200 lbs. I don't have to pass this test until later during basic though right? Not at reception? No smart phone at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu-shalbak View Post
              Male 18 yoa, 72 in, 200 lbs. I don't have to pass this test until later during basic though right? Not at reception? No smart phone at the moment.
              Here's what you need to pass APFT for your age group:

42 - 71 pushups in 2 min
              53 - 78 sit-ups in 2 min
              13:00 - 15:54 for 2 mile run

max weight of 190#'s & 20% body fat

You will be assessed during reception for the 1-1-1. After that you will have to pass the first APFT with a minimum of 60 in each event in order to continue to the next phase and eventually graduate.

Hope this helps. Others will chime in to correct me if needed.
              Last edited by bai78; June 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

A 60? How do they score you? I take it the counts above are minimum to maximum for my age group?

Comment

What is missing there is a % sign. You have to score a minimum of 60% in each event. For the above numbers 42 pushups is the 60% mark with 71 pushups being 100%. The Situps is the same, but the run is different. 13:00 minutes is 100% and 15:54 is 60% (shorter time = better run). So right now with your 1 mile at 8:30 then your 2 mile is probably around 17 min, maybe more. That gives you an idea of what it is that you have to work at.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu-shalbak View Post
                    A 60? How do they score you? I take it the counts above are minimum to maximum for my age group?
                    Yup, your minimum passing would be below. As you guessed, anything over and above will give you a higher score.

60 pts = 42 pushups in 2 minutes
                    60 pts = 53 sit-ups in 2 minutes
                    60 pts = 15:54 for 2 mile run

Are you attending this month's RSP drill?

Comment

Your height and weight is where it needs to be. The maximum weight for your height is 200 lbs. If you get under that, which you will after BCT, you won't need to tape.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
                        Your height and weight is where it needs to be. The maximum weight for your height is 200 lbs. If you get under that, which you will after BCT, you won't need to tape.
                        "Where it needs to be" is relative. I would argue that he "needs to be" considerably below the maximum end of allowable weight. His current weight is acceptable, like a 180 APFT score is acceptable. It's a pass, but not where a soldier "needs to be."

Comment

Yes i'm going to RSP this weekend. I'm only going to three total before BCT. During that time I will be working out and eating healthy. I'll make the minimum cut for sure. I train high (run 3 miles, not 2) but aim for acceptable. I'm hoping at basic they'll straighten me out past acceptable standards. But right now I just want to pass.

Comment

Working...
                          X