Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens after I'm done basic training?

What happens after I'm done basic training, would I go back home and do my selected job I choose?

Question:2

Would I ever be deployed out of the USA, I assumed the NG I would serve my state which is in NJ?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: What happens after I'm done basic training?

Yes. You return home and will eventually get introduced to your new unit. Might have to do a final RSP drill before that. Expect to do much of your training at Fort Dix.

You certainly can be. Jersey units have done tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba and Egypt to name a few over the last decade. I honestly don't know where you would get the idea that you would be exempt from that.

Comment

So I would do my basic training there?

Comment

Your Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training will be outside of Jersey. Location largely depends on what job/MOS you enlist with.

Comment

You assumed wrong. You'll more than like be deployed to a combat zone. If that's seen as anything less than an honorable opportunity to serve your country then go Air National Guard. My unit was mobilized for deployment 2 weeks after I completed IET. This is the Army. Our sole purpose is to defeat threats foreign and domestic. Anyone who tells you otherwise sees you as a number.

Comment

Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
            You assumed wrong. You'll more than like be deployed to a combat zone. If that's seen as anything less than an honorable opportunity to serve your country then go Air National Guard. My unit was mobilized for deployment 2 weeks after I completed IET. This is the Army. Our sole purpose is to defeat threats foreign and domestic. Anyone who tells you otherwise sees you as a number.
            Word!

Comment

IET can be a big time commitment away from home. Maybe as much as 6 months depending on your job. After you graduate, you will be back home living the life you are now if you choose. You will be training 2-4 days per month and doing an AT once per year. You will train with your unit and wait for your unit's number to come up. When it does you will deploy.

You could also be deployed for other things like natural disasaters or riot control. There are all kinds of deployments. Any deployment can possibly take you away from home for extended amounts of time. If that concerns you.

Many people do not know what we do as NG soldiers. We do anything and everything.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X