X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassed about self

I am 31 and am really interested in joining the Guard but am embarrassed about all my body hair. I know it sounds stupid but it bothers me but will anyone pay attention in Basic Training?

Re: Embarrassed about self

Tyl,

We have soldiers from all walks of life in the National Guard, body hair should not be an issue. Please talk to one of our online operators about any issues you are apprehensive about.

Comment

Originally posted by tyl View Post
      I am 31 and am really interested in joining the Guard but am embarrassed about all my body hair. I know it sounds stupid but it bothers me but will anyone pay attention in Basic Training?
      I wouldn't worry about body hair, you'll have plenty more to worry about in BCT and so will the others. You'll probably be a BOSS though, because you'll be there with a bunch of tweens. They will look up to you because of your age and you might even get leaned upon by your DS because of it. Someone has to keep the kids in line in the barracks, and that was my job.

Comment

We had a guy that looked like this when I was in basic. Trainee Sheets. With the over 100 degree weather in the summer at Fort LeonardWood, I use to smell this guy right after breakfast formation. And I was in the fourth squad in the back corner and he was in the front near the squad leader. Everybody use to say "whew" at formation. What is that term called for guys that pedicures and their chest hair shaved. A man scape or metrose xual something.

Comment

Originally posted by tyl View Post
          Okay, Chaplain4me. This is not funny. April fools was yesterday.

Okay, seriously.

There are all kinds of monsters, witches, and warlocks in all branches of the Armed Forces. I shipped with this one guy that ended up having to carry a Bic on his person at all times because literally within two or three hours of shaving he had a five o'clock shadow. I would have paid money to see the look on the Drill Sergeant's face again when he realized the guy was telling the truth about being hairy.

Comment

You'll get teased about it no doubt, but you'll be fine if you can prove your worth at the end of the day. Your drill sergeants may also play a role in this as well.

Comment

No matter who you are or what you look like, you'll get teased about something at Basic. At least you know in advance what it will be. I guarantee that your platoon will have someone with a far more freakish deformity to draw attention away from you. My recommendation is that you take control of your own victimization, and start the jokes yourself.

Comment

Body hair will be the last thing you think about when going to Basic Training.......sleep, food, and letters from home are whats important. Expect to be called grandpa or dad though!

Comment

It's basic training not a fashion shoot for GQ. Don't worry about it. You'll be naked in a room full of men everyday for a couple months. Any insecurities you should learn to do with.

Comment

I pluck my eyebrows but just the uni-brow part because I figure 2 eyebrows are better than 1. Is that going to be a problem when I go to basic?

Comment

Originally posted by skorp18 View Post
                      I pluck my eyebrows but just the uni-brow part because I figure 2 eyebrows are better than 1. Is that going to be a problem when I go to basic?
                      You really, really, REALLY aren't going to have enough time to pluck your eyebrows especially for the first couple weeks. By then it won't even matter. the Drill Sergeants may have a field day and call you an Ewok or a caveman or something. But it's nothing to spill a glass of milk over.

Comment

[QUOTE=skorp18;182110]I pluck my eyebrows but just the uni-brow part because I figure 2 eyebrows are better than 1. Is that going to be a problem when I go to basic?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure about the guys, but in '06 the females were not allowed to keep tweasers. It was a treat the day before graduation day to get them back and what we thought would be time to use them. Unfortunatly sorting the rocks all night by color kept us away from actually being able to use them. lol

Comment

We had guys given counseling statements for vandalizing government property upon lining up their hair with a straight razor. Appearances are important only as far as the uniform and demeanor is concerned.

Comment

If you own it, you might get less flak for it. I was hairless until 20 and then it starting growing and never stopped. Really proud of my Tricep hair!

Comment

Just get ready to be asked if your sweater comes in a V-neck, or similar questions when you're shirtless. What the LTC was absolutely right. Dont get butthurt about it and you'll be fine. Then you can move to making fun of someone else. Humor is a coping mechanism and helps pass the time when you have a few free seconds. Enjoy it. You're probably gonna have some of the best laughs of your life when you're in uniform.

Comment

Working...
                              X