Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you opt-out of vaccines that are given to you in the Army?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you opt-out of vaccines that are given to you in the Army?

How would you opt-out of getting the vaccines they give you in basic training, AIT, and other times they would give you them? Thank you

Re: How do you opt-out of vaccines that are given to you in the Army?

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
    How would you opt-out of getting the vaccines they give you in basic training, AIT, and other times they would give you them? Thank you
    "No, thanks" has always worked for me with regard to the anthrax vaccine.

An O-5 or O-6 will usually lock you up and "order" you to undergo vaccination, but just stand your ground respectfully and make it clear that you are not going to submit and that you are willing to accept the (most likely nonexistent) consequences of your actions. They'll threaten to involve your chain of command (scarrrry). Your chain of command will likely threaten you with some sort of UCMJ action. I'm no UCMJ scholar but I'm not aware, off the top of my head, of any provisions for punishing a vaccine refusal. My chain of command got all peeved about it but next thing I knew I was de-mobing at Fort Dix and laughing as I slipped out the main gate in my POV and lived happily ever after.

The End

Comment

There is no opting out of vaccines other than for very rare religious exceptions. See AR 40-562 Chapter 2. Even religious exceptions are based on the needs of the Army, and an exception can be revoked based on circumstance and operational necessity. Soldiers who listen to Jenny McCarthy tapes on vaccines causing autisim or having heavy metals in them and then decide that they don't want them will likely find themselves discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        very rare religious exceptions.
        Can you give me an example of that?

Comment

Can you give me an example of that?
          You may be able to get out of being vaccinated if you elect Jehovah's witness as your religious preference. Not saying its a sure shot but you can try it. Which reminds me--There was this guy when I was at AIT. He wrote down "Jedi Knight" as his religious preference in his paperwork. So, when he got his ID tags they printed JEDI KNIGHT on the back. Here's the funny part, though: If he's ever deployed and gets killed (Heaven forbid) the ARNG or I guess the 'big Army' would have to locate someone that practices Jedi or whatever and do his funeral service.

Comment

Is there technically a punishment....not really, polo is pretty right there. Unless you do something stupid in refusing, like disrespect.....

BUT, what can happen and usually will over time is you can be administratively separated. Once your medpros is in the red, aren't up to date on shots, can't deploy, and are on everyones hot list...you will be shown the door. I have personally typed the sep packets that will get you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
              Is there technically a punishment....not really, polo is pretty right there..
              Who? I know those silver bars all look the same, but...

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                Who? I know those silver bars all look the same, but...
                True statement...I take it back, and give you the credit.

Comment

True statement...I take it back, and give you the credit.
                  Thanks, I need all the notches I can get.

Comment

Once your medpros is in the red, aren't up to date on shots, can't deploy, and are on everyones hot list...you will be shown the door. I have personally typed the sep packets that will get you there.
                    All because you just don't want to take a vaccine?

Well since what I am getting from all this is that you will be kicked out I guess it is safe to say that you won't be getting an honorable discharge but are we talking OTH here?

Comment

I'm interested in your motivation to ask this question. Will you also opt out of the fluoridated water and sugarless gum?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                        I'm interested in your motivation to ask this question. Will you also opt out of the fluoridated water and sugarless gum?
                        Sir I was asking this because I was speaking to my friend who is on Active Duty about this and it sparked my own curiosity about it. I'm not a gum chewer myself and I would usually just give it away to a friend who wanted it.

Comment

Sir I was asking this because I was speaking to my friend who is on Active Duty about this and it sparked my own curiosity about it. I'm not a gum chewer myself and I would usually just give it away to a friend who wanted it.
                          I had my blood drawn yesterday and PPD as well. Also, I have SRP tomorrow. I have taken my anthrax shots and remember getting like 7 shots in one day. Take it like a man. Even though I like watching the grunts pass out from needles lol.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                            HA HA HAH A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA....

*gaaaaaasp*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Comment

All because you just don't want to take a vaccine?

Well since what I am getting from all this is that you will be kicked out I guess it is safe to say that you won't be getting an honorable discharge but are we talking OTH here?
                              There isnt a chapter they could use that would authorize an OTH. Guard units rarely give that anyway even when they could because it involves a significant amount of work. This scenario you describe is nothing more than a comparable medical disqualification, in other words...honorable.

Although highly stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X