Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you opt-out of vaccines that are given to you in the Army?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you opt-out of vaccines that are given to you in the Army?

I'm, too, curious why you would refuse shots. If he is a big conspiracy nut, then he can be shown the door, please.

But either way, I'm surprised why you are sad that you can be kicked out for not keeping your vaccines up to date. You can easily get sick if you don't take your flu vaccine (which I assume your...friend... will not take either) which will then cost the Army $$$ to nurse you back to health.

Imagine if you refuse your anthrax vaccine and you come in contact with antrax. Sure, the one shot (without follow ups) won't protect you 100% but it's better than nothing.

If you're red in MEDPROS you are a liability.

Comment

For those of us who have deployed more then once we have quite the plethora of vaccinations in our shot books. Even though I've become a pin cushion for the Army its certainly better then the scary alternative of catching malaria during deployment. Going to an armpit of the world like Afghanistan brings on a lot of risks that we would otherwise never be exposed to in the USA. Sure Anthrax is pretty much non existent these days save for the stuff the US and Russia keeps locked in a secured facility (we can only hope its really secure in Russia's case) but that doesn't mean there isnt a possibility of catching it in some remote **** hole in a war torn country. Considering the nasty conditions the Afghans create and tolerate in their country I'm happy to receive the Army's cocktail of vaccines!

Comment

For malaria, I dreaded taking those doxycycline pills on a daily basis. Some medics recommend doubling the dosage since your body builds a resistance to it. Also, when you get back, you have to take the other pills for a month to kill the malaria virus (if it gets into your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          For malaria, I dreaded taking those doxycycline pills on a daily basis. Some medics recommend doubling the dosage since your body builds a resistance to it. Also, when you get back, you have to take the other pills for a month to kill the malaria virus (if it gets into your system.
          Uhg... I hated doxycycline... Makes me feel like I'm gonna puke all day, and the primaquine they make you take when you get back makes me feel the same. I always went to the doc and traded it in for mefloquine so I could enjoy the crazy dreams it gives you.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
            Uhg... I hated doxycycline... Makes me feel like I'm gonna puke all day, and the primaquine they make you take when you get back makes me feel the same. I always went to the doc and traded it in for mefloquine so I could enjoy the crazy dreams it gives you.
            Primaquine. That is what it is called. Yes, I stopped taking it before the month was over.

Comment

Can you say your allergic to penicillin to get out of that shot even if never mentioned it to MEPS or will they check?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders904 View Post
                Can you say your allergic to penicillin to get out of that shot even if never mentioned it to MEPS or will they check?
                They're not going to give you a shot if you claim to be allergic to it. They may however make a big deal out of the fact that you didn't mention it earlier.

Comment

Pennicillin is an antibiotic, not a vaccine. There are other antibiotics that they can give that don't spark the allergic reaction.

Comment

Why is everybody trying to get out of shots??? Is this the "newer, softer Army" I've been hearing about?

Comment

I'm in no way trying to get out of shots, I am APPARENTLY allergic to penicillin I just never told MEPS because I had no clue until my Mom said something about a few days ago about how I broke out in a rash from it when I was like 5 yrs old. I ship out soon so I was trying to figure it out, I will take the shot if I have too I'm not even sure if I'm still allergic.

Comment

I'm in no way trying to get out of shots, I am APPARENTLY allergic to penicillin I just never told MEPS because I had no clue until my Mom said something about a few days ago about how I broke out in a rash from it when I was like 5 yrs old. I ship out soon so I was trying to figure it out, I will take the shot if I have too I'm not even sure if I'm still allergic.
                        I'm in pretty much the same situation.

Comment

That is kind of important. Potentially life and death. Might want to verify.

Comment

That's seriously not something you should play around with. You need to get some ink on some paperwork ASAP. If you fool around and just 'take the shot like a man' any number of things could happen to you at your current age. Your entire body could swell up, your throat could swell, you could get respiratory problems. You don't want anything within your ability to prevent to cause you to have your training delayed, be recycled or discharged. Contact your recruiter and let him/her know what the deal is.

Comment

Do they Always give the Penicillin shot at BCT?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                                That is kind of important. Potentially life and death. Might want to verify.
                                Verification through trial and error is the best way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X