X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Shoes - BCT

My daughter will start BCT in June, I have read several posts that say recruits will have to purchase running shoes once on base. Is this true? Or should she purchase a good pair before she leaves. Any suggestions to a brand/type that holds up well and is comfortable?

Re: Running Shoes - BCT

Originally posted by ambrosegrlz View Post
    My daughter will start BCT in June, I have read several posts that say recruits will have to purchase running shoes once on base. Is this true? Or should she purchase a good pair before she leaves. Any suggestions to a brand/type that holds up well and is comfortable?
    It might be unit dependent. However, I brought my Asic Gel-Nimbus to BCT and I did not have to buy running shoes there.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      It might be unit dependent. However, I brought my Asic Gel-Nimbus to BCT and I did not have to buy running shoes there.
      Check. I brought a brand-new pair with me, but they made us buy new ones at Reception Battalion at Ft. Jackson. All depends on where they go really.

Comment

She will be able to purchase a good pair of running shoes there that fit well and will serve her for a while. They will be cheaper on post and tax free. There is no sense in buying them for her now. There is also the chance they will make her buy new running shoes anyway.
        Last edited by TxIntel 1978; May 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. She is going to Ft. Sill, I'm not sure what there policy is.

Comment

Originally posted by ambrosegrlz View Post
            Thanks for the information. She is going to Ft. Sill, I'm not sure what there policy is.
            They have a PX where she can buy shoes. Send her with an old pair of sneakers. She will be able to buy them on day 1 or 2 of reception. It will cost her about $80 for a good pair of running shoes in the PX. ($80 is what i spent in 2010). She won't need cash for them either. She will be given an advance in pay on a debit card for the PX the first day she gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
              They have a PX where she can buy shoes. Send her with an old pair of sneakers. She will be able to buy them on day 1 or 2 of reception. It will cost her about $80 for a good pair of running shoes in the PX. ($80 is what i spent in 2010). She won't need cash for them either. She will be given an advance in pay on a debit card for the PX the first day she gets there.
              Send her in COMFORTABLE shoes. She will be standing in various lines (trying not to fall asleep) for about 20 hours a day for the first couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                Send her in COMFORTABLE shoes. She will be standing in various lines (trying not to fall asleep) for about 20 hours a day for the first couple days.
                Isn't that the truth. Right when you stop feeling like a Zombie and emerging from that haze is when they ship you out of Reception and off to your training unit.

Comment

Some suggests:Asics,nike free run,New banlence

Comment

interesting article today

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...-made-footwear

Comment

Interesting, when I went to BCT (2011) there was no "voucher" for shoes, nor was I given any choice other than size and one of three support options that the DS earlier told us which we were.

Comment

Older thread but I was wondering- I did BCT once before (long story) and went to Ft. Leonardwood. They made us buy new shoes in the PX and then during week 6 a DS heard a PVT complaining about it and asked what was up. When we explained the situation he said it was total BS and had been wondering why we all bought new shoes. Said he figured we just came unprepared (talk about the DS thinking we were all Jacked up from the beginning. Which, we kind of were lol) but that we WERE allowed to have the shoes we brought with us if we wanted and that the Reception Battalion were idiots. They got our civie bags out and let us swap our shoes!

My question though, is I'm looking at enlisting as a 45A and from what I've seen they typically got to Ft. Jackson for both BCT and AIT (I know I could possibly go ANYWHERE for BCT but it seems to be the trend from what I've seen) so does anyone know what Ft. Jackson's policies are on shoes? I have this K.A pair that I got for $30 and they're the BEST most comfortable shoes I've ever owned athletic wear wise and would really like to be able to take them with!

Comment

So do you have to repeat BCT?

Nonetheless, it is pretty much training unit specific. Every Battaltion and Company are different, just depends on how that particular group of cadre feel about shoes. At Ft. Jackson Reception BN though, they're going to make you buy shoes regardless and they're going to tell you those will be the ones you have to wear.

If you bring somes shoes that are within the standard, your cadre (once you're handed off to your training CO) may or may not allow you to keep and wear what you brought. Otherwise, your shoes you bring will just be stored with your other personal items. My unit did not allow us to keep our shoes, we had to wear what was bought at RCBN.

Comment

How do you post a question on the site?

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
                              I can attest to this, we got about $250 I believe back in 2008. I spent $100 on shoes, the rest on junkfood before we got to the Training Unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X