Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail bone protection at BCT? Is it allowed?

Hello guys,

I am waiting to ship to my BCT at Fort Sill, OK this June. I just got back from my first drill last weekend. I have a tail bone (coccyx), and after the drill, my tail bone is hurt badly and even bleeding. The reasons are doing too many sit-ups and other exercises that use that body area on hard floor (cement).

Usually, the tail bone doesn't cause me any trouble when I work out or running at all. It only causes trouble when I do sit-up on a hard floor. I talked to my Sergeant if I can use tail bone protection (for sports) during my drill, and he said yes. However, he doesn't know whether they allow it at BCT.

I really worry about this because without this protection, I can't perform normally when I take my PT test or other activities that may hurt the coccyx. I don't seek for extra comfort or special treatment. My body structure was born that way, and I really can't change it.

Does anyone know anything about this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tail bone protection at BCT? Is it allowed?

Every APFT we took at Fort Sill we performed the sit ups on thick pads....not on the cement floor. Other smokings (push ups, V-ups, etc...but never sit ups)

Comment

Cement? You guys really are HOOAH HOOAH! Usually mats are used or out in the grass.

You can expect a lot of rolling around in the grass doing all sorts of exercises at BCT: the rower, the situp, the v-up....dropping from the position of attention onto your rear....getting up off the ground from the seated position, this is a very physical business.

Pain is momentary....once those cheeks get acclimated to the Army lifestyle you'll be goo to go. Most of your PT at BCT will be in the grass, rolling around at 0600.....

Comment

If your gonna be at Sill you're going to be doing a lot of exercise on the cement drill pad. Lots of exercise! You probably won't get your back protector but you can go to sick call and see if they can do anything for you.

Comment

At Sill I found it was WAAAY harder on my tailbone sitting on the cement drill pad, cleaning our weapons....for HOURS. Sit ups, as the Chaplain said, are momentary..

Comment

Im not sure if I'm reading it correctly or the rest of you are, but the way I understand it, it's not just that OP is delicate with his bony butt on the cement but that there is physically more bone that is actually there than normal a "tail bone" so that there is a lot of extra pressure and grinding on it, in which case there should be some type of pad he can wear over that part of his body.

Comment

Possibly; he needs to discuss it with his Drill Dergeants when he gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                At Sill I found it was WAAAY harder on my tailbone sitting on the cement drill pad, cleaning our weapons....for HOURS. Sit ups, as the Chaplain said, are momentary..
                +1. Talking about tail bone, everyone needs to see the movie "Jack The Giant Slayer". It was a very good movie. Two thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  +1. Talking about tail bone, everyone needs to see the movie "Jack The Giant Slayer". It was a very good movie. Two thumbs up.
                  I heard that from a few other people; they said it was very watchable for adults (instead of suffering through some of the krap for kids out there)

Comment

I like the opening line. "I have a tail bone." Don't we all have a tail bone, or do you have some kind of vestigial tail that primates don't usually have?

Comment

LOL.....yep I did a double take too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                        I like the opening line. "I have a tail bone." Don't we all have a tail bone, or do you have some kind of vestigial tail that primates don't usually have?
                        Sir, from my knowledge, everyone does have a tail bone. However, in my case, my tail bone is longer and not normal. Therefore, whenever I do sit-up, the coccyx contacts the hard floor and all the body pressure press directly on it. It is really painful if I don't have any protection (normal protective gears from any sport store) or doing it on grass or thick mats.

I really hope that the drill sergeant at Fort Sill will be understanding for my case. It doesn't mean I am weak or asking for any excuse. It is just because my coccyx is different and need extra protection.

Comment

Roger! I'm glad you cleared that up! I'm glad they didn't make it an issue at MEPS. Hopefully you can always use a mat when doing situps! Ouch!!

Comment

Maybe they will let you do an alternative, like riding your motorcycle.....or picking cherry's.

Comment

We did all PT on mats or in the grass..on mats.. You'll be fine. I used to get rubbed raw as well, the nickname for that raw spot is called an a$sberry...like raspberry but on your...tail.

If it does get bad thoug just go to sick call, they'll give you something for it, be it antibiotic ointment, bandages, and/or a profile.

Comment

Working...
                              X