X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phones in BCT/AIT

Ok so whats the actual rule for cell phone use in training. Some people are saying absolutely no. Others are saying you can get cell phone privileges. How can you gain the privilege if you didn't bring it? Can someone shed some light on this?

Re: Cell Phones in BCT/AIT

I have not yet been to BCT but I have read multiple times it all depends on your Drill Sergeant if you are allowed to use your cell phone at BCT.

Comment

I kept mine throu reception but they took it in basic. We got it ~ 4-5 times in the course of basic. Night before Family day we got it back for good. Bring it, bring it, bring it. If not you'll be stuck borrowing one or using a pay phone...don't be that guy.

Comment

I had no choice but to use the pay phone in basic.

Comment

Ok so when they do the "paraphernalia and contraband check" i wont get smoked right? They'll just take it, and give it back accordingly?

Comment

Originally posted by SoldiersCreed View Post
            Ok so when they do the "paraphernalia and contraband check" i wont get smoked right? They'll just take it, and give it back accordingly?
            That's up to your DS whether you get smoked or not. More than likely, no.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks soldiers

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                I had no choice but to use the pay phone in basic.
                You and me both, for what about 5 seconds?

Comment

Generally if you are going through a non-combat arms BCT you'll pretty much have luxuries like this. It also depends on company SOP. We didnt get our cell phones back until family day.

Comment

I was at FT Jackson a few years ago for BCT. We got ours on Sundays for a few hours (very family oriented commander). The company next to mine never got them even once.

During reception they may ask if you have it and you will show it at a shakedown. They more than likely will let you keep it because they don't want to be responsible for it while there (since it is only a few days). However, when you get to your actual training unit they will do another shakedown and will have a basket or something for you to put your cell phone it. Take a plastic bag (like a sandwich bag) with your name on it in permanent marker and put your cell phone in it. That way when you put it in the basket then you know which one is yours immediately if you get to use it. Don't try and keep it. That is a whole world of trouble that you don't want if your caught with it.

One sunday the company next to ours had a formation after lunch. While they were eating they did a shakedown of the bay. They found a phone that had been stashed (an iPhone). They asked who's it was and nobody confessed. So they played soccer with it and kicked it around and basically ended up smashing it to pieces. Then the whole company got smoked. We watched this while doing our laundry and stuff. It didn't look like fun and I was glad that wasn't our company.

So just be honest about it, put it up when told to put it up and use it only when told. Life is easier if you follow the rules in BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
                      Generally if you are going through a non-combat arms BCT you'll pretty much have luxuries like this. It also depends on company SOP. We didnt get our cell phones back until family day.
                      What did you mean "non-combat BCT"? I though Basic COMBAT training was the same for everyone?? Did you mean non-combat AIT? Im confused now...

Comment

Originally posted by SoldiersCreed View Post
                        What did you mean "non-combat BCT"? I though Basic COMBAT training was the same for everyone?? Did you mean non-combat AIT? Im confused now...
                        What Orelladanza is talking about is BCT location. The curriculum is the same, but the environments are totally different if you end up at say Ft. Benning as opposed to Ft. Jackson.

I will say this, I was at Ft. Jackson just a little over a year ago and we did not get to use our cell phones once after we left Reception BN. It greatly varied by Platoon, by Company, and BN though. I had my handy dandy calling card and max got maybe 5 minutes at a time, and probably only 3 times during the course of training.

AIT is a crap-shoot. Some liken AIT more to a college like environment where you are treated more like an adult, but some AITs depending on the MOS still have you on lock down and you have to earn priveleges (if you get any at all).

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                          I will say this, I was at Ft. Jackson just a little over a year ago and we did not get to use our cell phones once after we left Reception BN. It greatly varied by Platoon, by Company, and BN though. I had my handy dandy calling card and max got maybe 5 minutes at a time, and probably only 3 times during the course of training.
                          The whole "relaxin' Jackson" thing is pretty far off, from what I can gather. I went to Benning, and it was definitely terrible. But I know guys that are twice as tough as me that said they had a hard time at Jackson. So I haven't believed/propagated any of that hype for a while.

Comment

At Fort Sill (down range)everyone put their phones into a ziploc bag with our name on it and they went into a padlocked drawer in the DS's office. When we were allowed them (only maybe 3 Sundays out of 10, if I remember correctly) for about 15 minutes each time...near the end of White Phase and during Blue Phase. We had them at reception to use when we headed back to the bay in the evening.

When they would carry out the file cabinet and say 'go get your chargers'...you never saw soldiers move so fast in their lives! DO NOT be 'that guy' that stays on even a second past when they say to end your call, even if you have to cut someone off; it cost us a whole Sunday and had to wait until the next week because some a**bag couldn't get his girlfriend to shut up on the other end and didn't want to just 'hang up on her'.

Comment

I was at Ft. Sill in the spring of 2010. We had ours locked in a metal foot locker in Ziploc bags with our names on it. The foot locker was kept in the DS office and had 2 locks on it. The DS had one key and our PG had the other key. They did this so no one could accuse the DS of going in the box. We got our phone every Sunday for at least an hour. (my platoon was VERY lenient with the phones). For pretty much the last half of BCT we would get them from just after lunch chow to before Dinner chow. They just werenít allowed to leave the barracks.

My platoon was the exception. One platoon in my battery only got them for 10 min on Sunday, some got them for about an hour. My Battery required us to get them for at least 10 min every Sunday to call home and take care of personal business.

This worked for me because I discovered some fraudulent transactions on my bank account while i was in BCT and needed about 2-3 hours to fix it for 2 weekends.

Cell phones were also used as an incentive. If you scored 300 on your APFT you were allowed to use your phone that evening for an hour. It was also used as an award for the person who shot high BRM.

There were a few people who didnít have cell phones. They would borrow the rest of ours for a few min to call home.

Bring your cell phone. You wonít get smoked for it unless you try to keep it when you arenít allowed to have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X