X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCT

I enlisted a month ago and I started running the day after I enlisted, I run 3mi every other day. Earlier this week my knees were really sore and swollen. A buddy of mine said it was fluid build up and told me to ice my knees and rest for a few days. I did and my knees feel better but still a little swollen. I ship out next week.What can I do if this happens during basic? Has this happened to anyone? What did you do to treat it? Im a little worried because I never had to deal with this before.

Re: BCT

Not sure how much you can do at this point. If you go to the doctor before you ship in a couple days, chances are that they're going to tell you to rest. Personally, I haven't had any experience with this, but I would probably just rest, and try to stretch a lot. If you can speak with a doctor, you may want to ask what you can do to help during basic training if you have problems. Best of luck!

Comment

I agree. Go talk to your doctor and then tell your recruiter about the results. If it's something that will hold you back from training, it's much better to postpone your ship date than have to wait and heal in reception.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        it's much better to postpone your ship date than have to wait and heal in reception.
        SERIOUSLY. I'm sure you want to go ahead and get all hooah at BCT, but trust everyone that's ever been there. You would rather stay here for a little extra than be stuck with the broke "gentlemen" at Reception... That god-forsaken hell on earth.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Another problem is I don't have health insurance, one of my reasons for enlisting. I tried running today but I had a lot of pain right from the start, I did a 1/4 mi and had to stop. I'm going to call my recruiter in the morning to let him know my situation. Hopefully I'll be ok, Ive been looking forward to shipping out next week.

Comment

Don't rush it. If you need to push ot your ship date, then do so. You want to get it right the first time around with BCT and AIT. If you go in not fully functional and end up hurting yourself more, you could get held back and prolong your stay there for much longer than you'd like. It will be so much easier if you're not in pain from an injury the whole time.

What did your recruiter say when you called them?

Comment

Originally posted by TradyMagrady View Post
              Don't rush it. If you need to push ot your ship date, then do so. You want to get it right the first time around with BCT and AIT. If you go in not fully functional and end up hurting yourself more, you could get held back and prolong your stay there for much longer than you'd like. It will be so much easier if you're not in pain from an injury the whole time.

What did your recruiter say when you called them?
              Thanks again for the advice I called my recruiter and he said to get it checked out at BCT. But my dad has a friend who is a physical therapist he had me rest my knee and gave me some anti inflamitory meds and told me to stop running on concrete to see if that was the problem. On Wednesday I ran on the treadmill at work and after running through the pain the first 1/4 mi I got back into my rhythm and felt great I was able to finish 2 mi without stopping. Today I ran at an indoor track and had the same results I have to run through the pain at first, but I don't have anymore swelling and I feel fine afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by nram2086 View Post
                Thanks for the advice. Another problem is I don't have health insurance, one of my reasons for enlisting. I tried running today but I had a lot of pain right from the start, I did a 1/4 mi and had to stop. I'm going to call my recruiter in the morning to let him know my situation. Hopefully I'll be ok, Ive been looking forward to shipping out next week.
                After you sign with the National Guard you are immediately elligible to Tricare Reserve Select. It is $54 a month for an indiviadual You should sign up for it ASAP just in case something happens to you before you ship.

Comment

Working...
                X