X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 and nervous about going in.

I'm 38 and going threw the process of trying to get in the guard.I served in the Navy for three years but got out on a hardship because my x left me for another sailer and left custody of my son too me.I have too friends that are in and keep telling me that i'm going to get alot of **** while i'm going threw basic because of my E-4.They are telling me that it is because i have been ount for 14 years and decided too go back in and they don't like that.I never planed on getting out and wanted to do my 20 years but it didn't work out that way.
    I guess I'm just looking for some insite on what to expect from basic,I know i'm going to be one of the older one's there but my son is 15 now and i'm stable too where I have a wife and two other son's that will be able to take care of things while i'm gone.If anyone could give me some insite on what to expect or too what i can do to make things a little less nervous for myself it would help out alot thanks again.

Re: 38 and nervous about going in.

You'll be fine. I went through at 37 years old and the only thing I got some ribbing about was my age (I was the oldest in the battery by 11 years)...I got called grandma alot but I graduated an Honor Graduate, so it didn't bother me what they said.....lol

There were quite a few E-4s in my battery and they weren't treated any different (all it usually meant is that they jsut might have a degree)...everyone was treated like a "Private". I was an 09S which was an officer candidate, so we were expected to have our stuff together a little more, but it made no difference with leadership positions, there was a frquent rotation of PG and APG and squad leaders, regardless of rank.

Being prior service, they may simply expect you to have more of an immediate military bearing rather than having to have it drilled into your head like the noobie Privates.

You'll do great! Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks Chris I think the biggest thing is going to be the running for me I still to this day use some of the things taught to me while i was in basic and on the ship.The big joke in our house is i do the ironing since i was a sh3 in the service and also have 10 years in the fire service i'm very use to a structured life style.I'm really looking forward to getting in better shape but the nerves are still there,heading out tomorroe to take the asvab so we will see how that goes it's been 20 years since i'v done some of the math i seen on the practice test lol.

Comment

I'm right there with you.... I hadn't done Algebra in 20 years. I had to 're-learn' it from some ASVAB practive books. You'll do fine at basic; the most challenging thing to deal, I found, besides missing my kids, was the unprecedented immaturity from the young soldiers, but they are just that and by the end, many had really come into their own.

Comment

ya i think my youngest and my wife will have the hardest time with me being gone.I was thinking that the younger ones would be the challenge also,but i'm going to look at it as it's only for a few months then it will be over and i will sent to school then will be able to be home.

Comment

John,

Do not be nervous; even though nervousness is normal and expected due to the unknown. I came back on active duty at the ripe young age of 38 (before the maximum age for enlistment was approved to 42) and even though I was prior service that completed both Army and Marine basic and boot camps; it was still nerved me somewhat since I was going back to Fort LeonardWood for MP reclass. But I did not look my age and was in great shape. I was an enlisted back then.

I been doing active-duty again for over 9 years already and my goal is to complete 20 years of active federal service and to retire. If I can still do this in my late 40s; you surely can. It has been a great ride and good luck.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: liquidified

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              I'm right there with you.... I hadn't done Algebra in 20 years. I had to 're-learn' it from some ASVAB practive books. You'll do fine at basic; the most challenging thing to deal, I found, besides missing my kids, was the unprecedented immaturity from the young soldiers, but they are just that and by the end, many had really come into their own.
              Nice AF MOS badge avatar. When I saw the AF uniforms and saw that everyone had a badge; I asked one of them and said what did the high-speed badge meant. He responded, "the badge means our job". I responded with "airpower".
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA74 View Post
                I'm 38 and going threw the process of trying to get in the guard.I served in the Navy for three years but got out on a hardship because my x left me for another sailer and left custody of my son too me.I have too friends that are in and keep telling me that i'm going to get alot of **** while i'm going threw basic because of my E-4.They are telling me that it is because i have been ount for 14 years and decided too go back in and they don't like that.I never planed on getting out and wanted to do my 20 years but it didn't work out that way.
                I guess I'm just looking for some insite on what to expect from basic,I know i'm going to be one of the older one's there but my son is 15 now and i'm stable too where I have a wife and two other son's that will be able to take care of things while i'm gone.If anyone could give me some insite on what to expect or too what i can do to make things a little less nervous for myself it would help out alot thanks again.
                Resident old man here at the tender age of 40. Went through basic training at Fort Benning when I was 39. I did cross training twice a day, three times a week before I shipped off. Helped tremendously. The biggest issue you may have to deal with is joint pain, shin splints, and tendon flare-ups. Even with being in good shape us old folks need more recovery time. Training everyday with no supplements and proper nutrition actually slowed me down over time. In AIT I had to ask a doctor at sick call to write me a permission slip, so I could buy fish oil capsules for my joints at the commissary. We ran so much on asphault that it was hard just to stand on my feet let alone march to and from class in company formations. You'll be fine, though if you drink a lot of chocolate milk and yogurt, provided you're not lactose intolerant.

Comment

Thanks i do need to get back in shape i'v been running and doing push ups but i have too hit it hard so i can keep up.

Comment

Thanks i do need to get back in shape i'v been running and doing push ups but i have too hit it hard so i can keep up.
                    Don't worry about 'keeping up' if you are in relatively good shape. Although there were some PT studs, many of the new recruits were introduced to the culture shock of having to put down their video games and cell phones and get off their couches..

There will also be helpful, caring Drill Sergeants to help motivate you if you feel your energy level waining as well..

Comment

Just pace yourself and do it in moderation. You will be fine.

Comment

that's what i'm going to try and do going for asvab tomorrow then hopefully pick my job and trying to leave no later then march.

Comment

you will be fine im sure , im Married 33 with 2 kids and im just now starting the process of Joining the Guard. i have to admit im worried about the physical aspect at basic myself , and i have no prior Service.
                          And i must add , THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRIOR SERVICE..... THANK YOU ALL IM HONORED TO BE GOING THRU THE PROCESS TO SERVE ALONG SIDE YOU ALL

Comment

that's what i'm going to try and do going for asvab tomorrow then hopefully pick my job and trying to leave no later then march.
                            When you're old the cadre will have a tendency to respect you a little more than the rest of the kids. Especially considering most of them are in their early to mid 20's. But don't be expecting it or looking for it. Let them find out on their own. And trust me they will. There's always that one Drill Sergeant that'll play the 'you're no better than the rest' game with you but it's brief. When they know you're old but still putting out a great effort, especially when you're performing better than kids half your age, they back off and in some cases encourage you more than others.
                            Last edited by VICEROY06; February 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                              When you're old the cadre will have a tendency to respect you a little more than the rest of the kids. Especially considering most of them are in their early to mid 20's. But don't be expecting it or looking for it. Let them find out on their own. And trust me they will. There's always that one Drill Sergeant that'll play the 'you're no better than the rest' game with you but it's brief. When they know you're old but still putting out a great effort, especially when you're performing better than kids half your age, they back off and in some cases encourage you more than others.
                              +1,000.000 - My experience exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X