X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail During BCT

I know written letters is the primary way i will be able to communicate with my friends and family so id just like a few things clarify if possible. I understand we receive some sort of post card which we send out so they person has your mailing address, is this true? also, do you only get one or a few of these cards or is it unlimited the amount of persons whom you can send these cards? Being away from the outside world i feel will be one of the toughest challenges for me mentally and would appreciate some reassurance. Thank you.

Re: Mail During BCT

Postcards may be a base specific thing. You can always just write a short letter yourself you know.

I just quickly wrote up some "I am here, I am okay, here's my address, please write me" letters.

Comment

It's just Basic Training, don't over think the experience. You will have plenty of time to write.

Comment

oh so they just tell you the address sometime during reception im guessing?

Comment

I (and likely most) didn't get the address until after reception. Like AIRBORNE said, don't over think it. It will make your time there miserable worrying about such things.

Comment

You'll have an address during reception, but I wouldn't bother sending it out. You won't be there long enough to get any mail. Once you get to your company, you'll get your address and they'll send out a packet for you to your folks (or whoever's address you give them) with a bunch of information. That's how it was for me at Benning, anyway. You'll also have your address, so like AIRBORNE said, you'll be able to send out letters to whoever you want with your address. I usually had a little time every night to write a little bit.

Also, like both AIRBORNE and SteveLord said, don't overthink it. BCT, while it can be tough and miserable at times, will also be one of the best experiences of your life if you allow it to be. You get paid to learn how to be a soldier, and to shoot guns and throw grenades!

Comment

Originally posted by knelson View Post
              You'll have an address during reception, but I wouldn't bother sending it out. You won't be there long enough to get any mail. Once you get to your company, you'll get your address and they'll send out a packet for you to your folks (or whoever's address you give them) with a bunch of information. That's how it was for me at Benning, anyway. You'll also have your address, so like AIRBORNE said, you'll be able to send out letters to whoever you want with your address. I usually had a little time every night to write a little bit.

Also, like both AIRBORNE and SteveLord said, don't overthink it. BCT, while it can be tough and miserable at times, will also be one of the best experiences of your life if you allow it to be. You get paid to learn how to be a soldier, and to shoot guns and throw grenades!
              Thanks for the reply. I know your right and i probably am over thinking it, its just that my friends and especially my gf are nervous about me leaving more than i am myself lol. Is there so limit to how many letters you can send/recieve? and are you only allowed letters or packages as well?

Comment

Originally posted by national View Post
                Thanks for the reply. I know your right and i probably am over thinking it, its just that my friends and especially my gf are nervous about me leaving more than i am myself lol. Is there so limit to how many letters you can send/recieve? and are you only allowed letters or packages as well?
                You can receive packages, but the Drill Sergeants will make you open it in front of them, so it can be examined for any non-allowed items.

Comment

Originally posted by national View Post
                  Yeah it sounds like you're over thinking it too much. What basic training station are you going to?

There is no limit to the number of letters you can send and receive. your drill sergeants cannot keep you from writing letters and they cannot hold your mail on purpose. At ft. Benning Harmony Church we were ordered to mail out an official letter home stating the rules regarding what type of mail we can receive. Any packages sent to you will end up getting stuck at battalion's mail room and won't be sent out to your barracks. You can still get them if you're lucky, but you'll catch alot of bad attention from your drill sergeants. I would stick to traditional letters and vanilla packets. try not to be "that guy" in your platoon that gets 20 letters every other week.

Comment

You can send as many letters as you have time to write as well as pay for. There isn't much free time, maybe an hour of "personal" time before lights out.

It varies so just don't have high expectations.

My .02Ę

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
                      You can receive packages, but the Drill Sergeants will make you open it in front of them, so it can be examined for any non-allowed items.
                      Any excuse to smoke the platoon, not that they need any reason whatsoever. The fact that you're in BCT is enough...

Comment

Buy stamps before and bring them with you. Maybe even pre-addressed envelopes.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          Buy stamps before and bring them with you. Maybe even pre-addressed envelopes.
                          +1...I sent a preprinted & stamped envelope to my friend so all that was needed would be a return address along with the letter of course. The more convenient and easier the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                            Yeah it sounds like you're over thinking it too much. What basic training station are you going to?

There is no limit to the number of letters you can send and receive. your drill sergeants cannot keep you from writing letters and they cannot hold your mail on purpose. At ft. Benning Harmony Church we were ordered to mail out an official letter home stating the rules regarding what type of mail we can receive. Any packages sent to you will end up getting stuck at battalion's mail room and won't be sent out to your barracks. You can still get them if you're lucky, but you'll catch alot of bad attention from your drill sergeants. I would stick to traditional letters and vanilla packets. try not to be "that guy" in your platoon that gets 20 letters every other week.
                            Thank you everyone for all the comments and tips and I'm headed to FLW. I will definitely bring pre print envelopes; good idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X