Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood pressure at reception?

A little history and then my question;

I have the typical "white coat syndrome" when I have my blood pressure checked. I have been monitoring my BP at home for the last year based off a suggestion from my GP due to readings being borderline high while in for checkups. At home my readings are always great, typically around 115/70 with a resting pulse around 58.

I am 31 year old male that is healthy and fairly fit. I can run the 2 miles in under 15 minutes, for my age that is over 80 on the APFT.

Fast forward to MEPS....I was nervous of course but felt perfectly calm until it was time to place the BP cuff on my arm. They took my readings 3 times and they were all too high, around 150/95 with a pulse near 100. It is obvious I was just nervous/excited due to my elevated pulse. In any case I had a RN check my BP 3 consecutive days with all perfect readings and then gave the readings back to MEPS and they cleared me.

I have swore in and ship out to FT. Leonard Wood in April. My question is what happens at reception if they check my blood pressure readings and they are elevated? I have proven I wasn't able to calm down enough at MEPS to get it in an acceptable range so I am having doubts I'll get it in range while stressed out at reception.

Regards!

Re: Blood pressure at reception?

I would think that your issue is documented and will be included in your packet that goes with you to basic so they will see it at reception.

Comment

I had the exact same problem at MEPS, and I think Robinpugs is right, I remember seeing my BP readings paperwork I submitted in my medical packet when I went last week to MEPS to get my weight and height checked and to swear in. So I guess when we go to BCT they will see that we just get nervous for no reason when that cuff gets slapped on us . Also I leave April 22nd for Leonard Wood so I might see you there.
      Last edited by GodBlessUSA; January 18th, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Awesome, I actually ship to reception (43rd AG Bn) on April 15th. My paperwork indicates i start BCT on April 22 though, so I am willing to bet we will be at reception at the same time.

Comment

Its Possible. My paperwork says I will start BCT on the 29th. I cant see me Being in Reception for 7 days but I guess it could happen. what MOS did you choose?

Comment

35N, Signals Intel. I will be going to Goodfellow AFB for AIT after BCT.

Comment

haha I will be heading to GoodFellow too, but for the Fire Academy (12M). I will be there Mid July, So I'm sure it will be hot as hell lol

Comment

SierraBravo, I went to Goodfellow in '92 for the same school, I was an AF 35N (202, now 1N451). I don't know how much has changed but be prepared for small town, not much to do!

Incidentally I have the same BP issues and had to get a NGB waiver, on 2d try, so I'm glad you asked this question. I'm going to FLW for BCT in Oct.

Comment

Working...
                X