Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Material at Reception.

Dear Ladies and Gents,

Allowing for the purported copious amounts of downtime at Reception, would it be acceptable for me to bring my Bible and another source of reading material ?

V/R
    Chris Bryant.
    Last edited by CSBryant; January 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM.

Re: Reading Material at Reception.

Originally posted by CSBryant View Post
    Dear Ladies and Gents,

Allowing for the purported copious amounts of downtime at Reception, would it be acceptable for me to bring my Bible and another source of reading material ?

V/R
    Chris Bryant.
    A bible and perhaps some military themed novels. I bought Sun Tzu's Art of War. Depending on where you go you may not have time to do much reading. The Cadre may keep your bay busy detailing the latrines or area beautification (yard work) or psuedo smoke sessions. But definitely no magazines or fluff allowed.
    Last edited by VICEROY06; January 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

When I went through reception the chaplains handed out small Bibles that fit in an ACU pocket and was camo colored. I had another book that was of a religious nature (The Shack) and it was not allowed. In our company only Bibles were allowed, no other reading material military or otherwise was allowed.

Comment

Thank you for the insight.

I have memorized my Gen Orders, Creed, and Army Song (first few standard verses), I can tell you what LDRSHIP stands for, but the complete definition assigned to each letter is fuzzy, do I need to know that or just that L stands for Loyalty, D for Duty, et al. If not, then I've got the memorization down.

I will bring my Bible and a copy of About Face, an auto-biography of a famous Infantry Officer. If they yell at me I will put it away.

Hope there will be time for self PT, at least calesthenics, close to maxing my APFT and want to stay solid.

Comment

You're a leg up if you've already memorized those things. Good front end effort.

You'll probably get a little while to read your bible while in the barracks at Reception, but when you're waiting in those endless lines it's more likely your DSs are going to want (or demand) to see your nose in that Blue Book. Just forewarning.

It really depends on how long you're there, but the typical stay is about 5-6 days. You're not going to get a lot of self PT time, or any self time for that matter. While there is "some" downtime at reception, it only comes later in the week right before you're handed off to your training unit after all the administrative items and supply issue is completed. Be prepared to feel like a zombie for the first 48-72 hours where you stand in line after line and get little to no sleep.

Comment

It depends upon you're drill sgt. You will have a personal bag which will contain civis and the stuff you wore to reception but usually you won't get anything out of it except a phone charger or shoes (my ds let us wear our civi shoes if they helped us run). They won't deny you're bible but make sure it's conservative. Our training bay had a book shelf with a lot of TM's and stuff but it had a few military books that our DS let us read. You will have downtime but most of it is used up with writing letters, the 3 S's, and doing laundry. You will also have the option to go to church on sunday and all major services are covered.

Comment

Reception is the worst part of BCT. Reading material for us was our blue book, and that was it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee, S. View Post
                Reception is the worst part of BCT. Reading material for us was our blue book, and that was it.
                Where did you go to basic?
                Also whats a blue book?

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
                  Where did you go to basic?
                  Also whats a blue book?
                  Blue Book

I went to Ft. Jackson. This blue book is standard at all BCT sites though. You can also download it as an app on Apple or Google Play.
                  Last edited by eqmcclure; January 9th, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X