X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pt/ outdoor activities in the rain/snow/cold

I ship Jan 7 to FLW. My only concern, since I'm from the south, is how much outdoor PT and drill do they make you do if it's snowing or freezing an raining. I'm not scared of having to, but my curiosity is starting to get to me.

Re: Pt/ outdoor activities in the rain/snow/cold

You do what the Army tells you to do.

Seriously though, you're going to be out there in the cold, rain, and snow. That's why we are issued cold weather gear. Get used to the phrase "enjoy the suck."

I remember it was about 15-20 degrees when we began one of our APFTs also. When you start exercising your body warms up though, and you'll adjust. Don't let your imagination get the best of you. Just get out there and execute.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerboy08 View Post
      I ship Jan 7 to FLW. My only concern, since I'm from the south, is how much outdoor PT and drill do they make you do if it's snowing or freezing an raining. I'm not scared of having to, but my curiosity is starting to get to me.
      Bikerboy,

I am currently home on Holiday Block Leave from FLW. I shipped 20121113, and after reception and all that fun stuff I am about 4 weeks deep in basic. (Thank god red phase is over). I am from Maine, so I am used to the cold and snow and what not. However, I will tell you that the outdoor PT, which is 6 days a week, sucks. Wakeup is 0430 and you are outside by 0450. You stand in formation in your PT's until about 0500, then your DS's will come out and you will all march to wherever your PT will be conducted and spend about an hour, maybe a little more, doing PT. It sucks for the most part because it is pretty cold. However, once you get moving around a little bit you warm up. So far, there hasn't been much for rain or snow there, but just know you will be cold. It's all part of the experience tho. The thing that gets you thru it is seeing all your battle buddies going thru the same crap. It's all over before ya know it. Embrace the suck. Have fun. Don't sweat the little stuff. You are gonna meet some great people and do some cool stuff. I am stoked to get back to work. You will not regret your decision to enlist! I will probably see you down there. What is your MOS?

Comment

You will have cold weather gear that helps a little bit. In the military we do what is called a risk analysis, we look at what risks will be present (that we can predict) and how to mitigate them. Sometimes the risk is too much and plans will be changed, altered, delayed or cancelled. In events like blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc you can bet PT will be cancelled lol. If soldiers don't have the proper gear to deal with the weather then PT can be altered and changed. Something to keep in mind, adverse and uncomfortable weather doesn't stop combat operations so why would it stop your physical training? For me remembering that helps me deal with the suck.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I have a driving force of two boys that expect their dad to be a soldier. @ Scott, my MOS is 91L. I'm beyond excited to go and experience. But as I stayed before, being from south Mississippi, I am not accustomed to the cold! I wouldn't regret my decision to enlist! I consider it an honor to serve my country!

Comment

I was at FLW August-December and we did PT no matter the temperature. In fact in BCT we prided the fact that we did PT in short's in the 40's while others had full winter's on . Yeah it sucked but it was a point of pride and it made me stronger (probably sicker too lol). We did PT when the pit was FILLED with water, and even if there was lightning. I remember my last PT test on FLW and it was about 10 degree's out no joke! Word of advice they will usually give you an option of wearing winter pt gear on the PT test, and I wouldn't wear it. It will be insanely cold in January-February so be prepared to hate life, and the old barracks I had that are still used I believe have crappy heat lol. In Missouri the weather also changes insanely fast so it could be 30 one day and the next 70 no joke!
            On them FTX's bring all your snivel gear, TP, ibuprofen, etc. If you get Alpha 3-10 Tell em I said hi lol. Don't be scared because BCT is all mental and you won't ever be made to do anything that no other person couldn't do; it's insanely easy. I had fun in BCT and missed it when I left. Getting paid to shoot stuff and blow it up what more could you ask for?

Comment

I'm currently home on leave from Fort Jackson and while it may be more south than Fort Leonard Wood, it still stinks having to do PT outside in the upper 20's to 30's every morning! The only time we don't do PT out at the PT field is when it's raining. I don't mean a light sprinkle, I mean rain. Even then we still do PT, but we just do it downstairs in our formation area where it's covered. Each morning at 04:30 the Drill Sergeants give us a wake up call (we're usually all up at least 15-30 minutes prior anyways) and tell us the uniform for the morning. Most mornings it is full winter pt with hats and gloves, but if the temp is a little warmer (like towards the 50s) then we do PT in shorts and long sleeve shirt. The one thing I like about my company is that whatever the uniform is for the trainee, that is the uniform that is worn by the Drill Sergeants, Cadre, 1st SGT, and Company Commander. If we have to be in shorts and long sleeves, so do they and I respect that. If the ground is wet, be prepared to lay down in it. They won't make you lay down in puddles, we can open holes in PT formation to go around those, but soggy grass isn't something they care about. Just be prepared for it to suck and remember that the ARMY wants you trained and fit, not seriously sick or dead. There are certain rules the military follows when it comes to what to wear and what to do in bad weather and they are in place for your safety. Trust in that and you'll be ok, you can survive way more than you think you can.

Comment

What's snivel gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerboy08 View Post
                  What's snivel gear?
                  Basically it's your winter gear. Snivel gear is a sort of sarcastic term of endearment that the military uses to describe it. You'll be issued a light weight top and bottom set (we call our ours "silks"), a heavier thermal type top and bottom, wool glove inserts with leather glove outer shells, wool pt cap, and a fleece jacket. At least that is what we were issued at Jackson.

Comment

Cold weather gear. You will be issued a set of polypro aka silky's which are like under armor. A set of waffles which is a pretty thick shirt and long john underwear. A fleece jacket, a gortex which I never wear and only wore twice in iet, a neck gaitor, gloves, and a fleece cap. On my last ftx in bct they said don't pack any cold weather gear since it was suppose to be warm. I packed mine lol because I know how missouri is and of course it dropped to freezing with sleet etc. Honestly the FTX's were the best because we got some extra sleep lol. I had so much fun on the last ftx I wish I could do it again.

Comment

Yeah... embrace the suck. Just keep telling yourself you're getting paid for this, and push on.

Comment

For the PT test I suggest wearing your winter PT's and long sleeve shirt. When you are testing on an event take it all off but at least have it with you so you can stay somewhat warm between events. As uncomfortable as the long sleeve shirt may be its actually a decent shirt while running when its really cold outside. Definately take the winter pants off while running, even if its cold and raining.

Basic training sucks, thats all there really is to it. But obviously for the military it is a right of passage and serves an incredibly important purpose. I was at FLW this past summer for 3 weeks and while I was there a drill instructor came over to me and asked to trade jobs lol! No thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X