X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting expert

I leave for BCT in June and I wanted to know if anybody had any tips on what would help to achieve an expert badge at basic. I am from Wisconsin and shoot guns regularly, does this help? Thanks!

Re: Shooting expert

Listen to your instructors at basic. Remember sight alignment, sight picture, breathing and trigger squeeze.

Comment

They'll teach you the four fundamentals of marksmanship:
      1. Steady Position. Make sure you're in a good stead position, elbows tucked in, buttstock held firmly into the "pit" of your shoulder. Make sure your non firing arm is also positioned properly and should move as minimally as possible.
      2. Proper sight picture. Not only should you align the rear sight aperture with the front sight post, make sure you are placing your cheek in the same position on the butt-stock every time. The "nose to charging handle" method is recommended if you can do it.
      3. Breathing. Squeeze the trigger between the exhale and the inhale. Furthermore the weapon will be aimed at its highest point on the exhale.
      4. Trigger squeeze. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull it, in a way that the weapon is pulled directly backward into the shoulder instead of jerking to the side.
      5. (The unofficial one) Follow through. After squeezing the trigger hold the trigger back for a second or two before releasing.

You'll do fine though, you should everyday during BRM (save Sundays) so you'll get plenty of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Listen to your instructors at basic. Remember sight alignment, sight picture, breathing and trigger squeeze.
        And a stable platform.

Comment

There are a lot of factors involved in shooting expert. The advice to listen to your Drill Sergeants is the best advice here. Every civilian who has shot before wonders the same thing you are wondering. Honestly, it would be a good idea to break your shooting habits and try doing exactly what your drill sergeants tell you to do. Even if it sounds weird, they are true professionals and have experience to back up what they are saying.

Other factors include the targets you will be shooting at as well as the weather on qualification day, and even your mood. (If you're nervous, etc) I went to basic in the summer, and the range we were on had many trees. The targets sometimes blended in to the landscape which also made it harder. But, if you have an open mind, a good attitude, and determination, I think you'll do a good job. You're in control of how you react to what you learn and what you experience. Do your best and work hard, and it'll pay off.

And maybe, just maybe, you'll shoot expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
            I leave for BCT in June and I wanted to know if anybody had any tips on what would help to achieve an expert badge at basic. I am from Wisconsin and shoot guns regularly, does this help? Thanks!
            Step 1. Forget everything you have ever thought you learned about how to shoot.

Step 2. Do what they say.

The best shooters are frequently those who have never touched a firearm. They have no bad habit they have to unlearn.

Comment

Run a Google search for TRADOC Pamphlet 600-4. Read through Chapter 5. It is what the DS will teach you at BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
                Unfortunately this doesn't help that much. Shooting regularly doesn't tell us your skill level.

Doing what your DS says is a good start, but it's not the end all be all of marksmanship. Marksmanship during BCT is geared towards efficiency of instructing a large group of people with limited time.

Resources permitting try taking a tactical carbine course from a reputable instructor. I wrote a short review on a carbine course that I took in the past: MDTS Combative Carbine Course 1 + 2 It was an eye-opener in terms of how to integrate current competitive marksmanship into military marksmanship.

Comment

Working...
                X