X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honor graduate?

Is it pretty difficult to become an honor graduate? What do you have to show in order to become one? What do you get for being one? I think it would be pretty cool to be one, that's what all the questions are for. Thanks anyone for answering!: )

Re: Honor graduate?

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
    Is it pretty difficult to become an honor graduate? What do you have to show in order to become one? What do you get for being one? I think it would be pretty cool to be one, that's what all the questions are for. Thanks anyone for answering!: )
    If you are talking Honor Graduate from AIT, then at least in my MOS (92F) it was the top 2 soldiers (by grade average) in class that were honor graduates (#1 was Distinguished). What I received was a nice certificate (currently sitting in my "I Love Me" drawer) and was announced as such at graduation. When I got back to my RSP for final drill my RSP unit put me in for a medal, which I did receive. My RSP also told me that I was going to get an ipod, which I did not receive. Of course since I didn't know any of that before I went to AIT, I was just glad to make top average.

Comment

man you didn't get the ipod........I guess the medal was worth it. jk.....congrats.

To be honor graduate you need to be a leader.....

Comment

Unless times have changed, this didn't mean squat when you got back home and were assigned to your unit. But I suppose any kind of treat while you're at BT/AIT is still good to have.

(I know someone who was recently honor grad, came home, drilled a few times, panicked at the first warning of a deployment and is now in the doghouse with his CoC regarding exaggeration and/or lying about an injury.)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Unless times have changed, this didn't mean squat when you got back home and were assigned to your unit. But I suppose any kind of treat while you're at BT/AIT is still good to have.

(I know someone who was recently honor grad, came home, drilled a few times, panicked at the first warning of a deployment and is now in the doghouse with his CoC regarding exaggeration and/or lying about an injury.)
          +1. Plus some win by a popularity contest or by how pretty their bat their eyes at the DS. cough cough wink

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            Unless times have changed, this didn't mean squat when you got back home and were assigned to your unit.
            I think you get 5 promotion points out of it, sometimes an BC's coin, and letters of commedation from the SGM and BC. At leas that what the honor grads got when I was in BCT and what I got for high BRM. I have no idea what you get for AIT, except the ability to "graduate" first in line. The distinguished honor grad from AIT got an AAM.

Comment

When I went through AIT in 2003 the honor grad didn't get ****, and it didn't mean **** either back at the unit. I wasn't the honor grad but I did have the highest PT score and was given a certificate of achievement, which is supposed to be worth 5 points if I were active duty. In the NG the certificate of achievement means ****, so no points awarded. If you get an AAM out of being honor grad then it will give you points down the road. Study on your off time, do well on your PT test (start training yesterday) and don't shy away from leadership opportunities.

Comment

Being honor graduate is easy as long as everybody is more $&!@ed up than you are.

Just go a little bit harder than everybody else and show that you really want to stand out and, for better or for worse, And the drill sergeants will notice that and it may pay off for you in the end. My drill sergeant told me I was distinguished honor grad at like week six. I was nowhere near the highest PT score but I was platoon guide from day two until the end and knew what I was doing.

I didn't get anything for it though. Other than a little certificate from basic training signed by the battalion commander that was pretty much it.

Comment

Also curious about this...

So based on what you've all said, is it a decent summary to say you get Honor Grad if your in the top (how much?), and Distinguished Honor Grad if you're #1. Honor Grad is based on academic performance and performance in the field, not PT score? Does PT score count towards being an (Distinguished) Honor Grad, granted your not a total screw up with PT, but are about average?

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
                    Also curious about this...

So based on what you've all said, is it a decent summary to say you get Honor Grad if your in the top (how much?), and Distinguished Honor Grad if you're #1. Honor Grad is based on academic performance and performance in the field, not PT score? Does PT score count towards being an (Distinguished) Honor Grad, granted your not a total screw up with PT, but are about average?
                    It is a decent summary to realize that being honor grad means nothing in the real army.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      It is a decent summary to realize that being honor grad means nothing in the real army.
                      Agreed, all it was good for was making my wife proud of me.

OP: For my AIT as long as we passed the PT test, we were good to go, Honor Grad was purely based on test scores.

Comment

I was no where near the highest PT and I was Distinguished Honor Grad.

I think Honor Grad was top 5 or 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
                          Alright, I just finished my Basic, in order to become HG, you need to make sure you pass all 3 PT tests, you have to have 0 counsel statements. You also have to show that you pushed yourself as hard as you could. Trust me by the end there are very few people to choose from for Honor Graduate. there were barely 7 out of my platoon that qualified. Just try your best. If you have any questions about what is needed or anything like that please feel free to message me and I will help you out.

Comment

At my CH-BOLC they gave it to people going on active duty....one dude really deserved it, the other I had my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                              At my CH-BOLC they gave it to people going on active duty....one dude really deserved it, the other I had my doubts.
                              A sub-standard Chaplain?

Comment

Working...
                              X