X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IV Training during BCT?

Shipping off to BCT soon and i have been some research lately. Recently came across several sources stating that there is IV training conducted during BCT and would like for someone who has been to BCT in recent years to give me a definite answer wether they still do this. I know for a fact that is was done for a period of time but from what i hear is was stopped. I would just appreciate a confirmation. thank you

Re: IV Training during BCT?

I believe if I'm not mistaken they did away with doing IV training in basic. Don't hold me to it though because I have not been to basic yet but someone on this forum will know for sure.

Comment

They did away with it. Probably because the risk assessment for dumb privates performing an invasive procedure on other dumb privates is really really high. It seems like at a logical standpoint a really bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
        They did away with it. Probably because the risk assessment for dumb privates performing an invasive procedure on other dumb privates is really really high. It seems like at a logical standpoint a really bad idea.
        Thank god because i was just thinking the exact same thing. I am not a big fan of getting my blood drawn let alone by some kid straight out of HS.

Comment

Any clue when they ended the iv training program? Just viewed a Video from ft Leonard Wood BCT and showed privates sticking each other. There was an absurd amount of blood and all seemed unsafe, unsanitary and ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
            Sometimes in the Combat Lifesaver Course...it's still a bad idea.

Comment

IVs were done away with because a study found it wasn't needed in the field. As far as dumb privates sticking you, you're probably going to run into them if you go to sick call. Mention to them they are dumb privates when they are giving you that shot.

Comment

You don't need all that blood anyway, get over it.

But no, you don't do it during Basic. Now, we do it for our CLS class and actually go from start to finish (hooking up the saline bag). I did it a couple times, failed most of them. If you don't do it correctly, there can be a lot of blood but like I said, it's not going to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post

But no, you don't do it during Basic. Now, we do it for our CLS class and actually go from start to finish (hooking up the saline bag). I did it a couple times, failed most of them. If you don't do it correctly, there can be a lot of blood but like I said, it's not going to kill you.
                  In my state they've done away with it even in Combat Lifesaver's course.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    In my state they've done away with it even in Combat Lifesaver's course.
                    That's bad. Medics have better things to do than to give IVs. I teach the basics of what the Army requires me to teach and then beyond.

You only want me to teach Soldiers by powerpoint how to conduct Hand to Hand fighting? We're going outside and doing it too.

You only want one kneeling position for range qual? No, there are plenty of better positions and I'm not going to teach my Soldiers the crappiest way.

Soldiers need to know more than the basics of survival and IVs are part of that. Hell, our medic taught us how to use a Coconut as a source for an IV.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      IVs were done away with because a study found it wasn't needed in the field. As far as dumb privates sticking you, you're probably going to run into them if you go to sick call. Mention to them they are dumb privates when they are giving you that shot.

+9000. True Story.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        The video I watched on YouTube was from FLW BCT 2010, so was it taken out of the program very recently or is FLW for some reason still performing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post

I'm not familiar with CLS, is it something all soldiers go through?

Ok did additional research and from what I have collected I understood it is something all soldiers go through during week 2 or so of bct. I am just gonna confess.. I have something equivalent to a phobia for getting blood drawn. Blood in general and shots don't bother me at all but something about my blood being drawn really gets to me. This is something that's runs in my family and may very well be hereditary. I manned up for it during meps but that was with a trained professional doing it in a sterile environment. I am shipping to FLW soon and this is really getting to me.

Found this on Army Times...

IV training suspended from lifesaver course
                          By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
                          Posted : Wednesday Sep 2, 2009 18:21:04 EDT
                          Intravenous training, which comprises 70 percent of the Combat Lifesaver Course required for all soldiers, was suspended effective Tuesday.

Medical evidence and operational lessons learned suggest that instead of the heavy emphasis on intravenous skills, soldiers should be learning how to control hemorrhage and tactical casualty movement, the Army Training and Doctrine Command announced in a news release.

The Army began training combat lifesavers — front-line soldiers with a secondary mission to restore breathing, stop bleeding and start intravenous, or IV, treatment for wounded troops — in 1986.

A fragmentary order to suspend IV training in the CLS course effective Sept. 1 was handed down Aug. 25.

On Aug. 6, the Defense Health Board published a memorandum recommending additional emphasis in training on hemorrhage control, the release said.

TRADOC will assess the medical evidence and operational lessons and revise the CLS curriculum, the release said. The Army anticipates that the revised curriculum will be in effect in January 2010.

Only thing that I find odd is that according to the video of bct at FLW which was dated 2010, there was indeed IV traing, yet that decree was published in 2009.
                          Last edited by national; November 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Intravenous insertion has been removed from the combat life saver course. It should NOT be being either taught in initial nor re-certification courses...Any schoolhouse should be fully aware of this. Interestingly, the more invasive procedure of needle chest decompression was added, although this is not being attempted in any significant numbers on the battlefield. Frankly, getting rid of the IV portion of the class was an improvement. IVs do not decrease morbidity or mortality statistics in trauma pre-hospitally, particularly with administration by otherwise untrained laymen. Traditional fluid challenge therapy has gone the way of the dodo quite awhile ago. The Army still messes with colloids more than anyone else, primarily because blood products are not readily avalible in austere environments. Honestly, I can make a pretty decent argument about getting IVs out of the hands of 10 level 68Ws, but that's a discussion for a different forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                              Interestingly, the more invasive procedure of needle chest decompression was added, although this is not being attempted in any significant numbers on the battlefield. Frankly, getting rid of the IV portion of the class was an improvement.

That's a huge relief, gonna guess they aren't practicing needle chest decompression on each other though LoL

Comment

Working...
                              X