X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IV Training during BCT?

Not yet at least! You know back when manubrial interosseous infusions were all the rage 2002-2007ish, they'd have infantry privates volunteer to have it done to them to allow clinicians to practice. I'm pretty sure they gave them cookies or pizza as the "thanks for getting your sternum pierced" prize. Honestly. Kids will DO anything for a cookie.

Comment

Wow that is actually very disturbing. Anyways, I just hope FLW isn't still performing IV training for some reason. If anyone has been there since 2010, I would appreciate a confirmation as to wether or not it is an ongoing practice.

Comment

Na. You're all set. BCT is a breeze.

Comment

All they are going to teach you in Basic is dressings, CPR, and non-invasive care.

What I experience is different. I find it offensive that the Army wants to get rid of IV training for Soldiers (by their units). We had a lot of heat casualties in Iraq the first couple months and we DID save time and effort by giving them IVs and reacting as we should.

Damn goin' soft these days. Soon, we'll have contractors giving us IVs.

Comment

The heat casualty issue is a good point. In all honesty, the trouble is IV therapy had been, to some extent, treated by the Army much like a fancy soldier skill...but the truth is it's vastly more complicated than that and whilst you can "get away" with doing an afternoon training session on angiocath insertion (which, in my experiance having taught several dozen CLS courses creates an approximately 35% IV success rate), the fairly significant unintended consequences of trained, but uneducated laymen starting fluid therapy is high. Fairly treatable unintended phelbitis or thrombophelbitis is one thing, but solid and air emboli, extravascular or interarterial injection are much more serious....Fluid overload is perhaps the most serious complication outside of an acute embolus and would not be recognized by a lay provider....worse, it is virtually UNTREATABLE by lay soldiers, or company level medical personnel.

As far as a heat casualty, I would say that any soldier whose thermoregulatory ability was so severely compromised that crystaloid fluid replacement was neccessary also MUST be seen and treated by a clinician. (ie Doctor). If units had gotten into the habit of starting IVs and bolusing soldiers who they thought were heat casualties, and then waiting until they ostensibly recovered...well...that's....unfortunate. (I'm sure it happens). Skin turgor, mucosal membranes, elevated BUN, creatinine, serum chloride levels and urine specific gravity...not to mention RECTAL CORE TEMP...all are a part of the differential diagnosis... I guess what I'm ultimately saying is, it was always too significant of an intervention that those outside the AMEDD community got desensitized to, but in reality was much more dangerous than we apparently believe.

Comment

I concur with the uneducated soldiers providing treatment. Actually, I concur with your entire statement. I understand that the Army "doesn't have time" to teach Soldiers how to give IVs and you can't spend a day practicing with IVs because everyone will have bloody and bruised arms. But, what you don't practice, you don't learn.

I gotta go to this holiday "meal" so I'll be back.

Comment

We got to get poked at BCT when I went through in OCT 09. Not fun. People b*tched, blood flowed freely. All in all, total disaster and made more than one little hooah go to sick call for various complications....

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                  We got to get poked at BCT when I went through in OCT 09. Not fun. People b*tched, blood flowed freely. All in all, total disaster and made more than one little hooah go to sick call for various complications....
                  Yeah, that reallt really sucks. If that was me.. i probably would just break down haha sad..

I was just thinking, do you get your blood drawn while at reception? I know you get all those vaccines though.

Comment

Yes, you get a few vials of blood drawn to test for various icky stuff and to put your DNA on file...

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                      Yes, you get a few vials of blood drawn to test for various icky stuff and to put your DNA on file...
                      Fml.. Can't they just use the same dam vial from meps?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                        All they are going to teach you in Basic is dressings, CPR, and non-invasive care.

What I experience is different. I find it offensive that the Army wants to get rid of IV training for Soldiers (by their units). We had a lot of heat casualties in Iraq the first couple months and we DID save time and effort by giving them IVs and reacting as we should.

Damn goin' soft these days. Soon, we'll have contractors giving us IVs.
                        Oh that made me laugh. I have a HUGE opinion about this one. Not about Contractors giving IVs but them doing everything else. They were just in this armoy a few weeks ago hanging our flag on the drill floor wall. I'll zip it now, this isnt a political forum. lol It started overseas when they were basically the QRF and then to see it at the armory.... grrrr!

I have three Medical Readiness Admins in my office for the BDE and that is exactly what one was saying last week. No more IVs because its not needed in 'real' life.

Comment

Working...
                        X