X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prepare financially for basic?

I tried looking for different areas to post this thread but not sure where to post it, so here goes.

I am currently working with a recruiter to join the TXARNG but I really want to go AD, the problem is that I have "deep roots" in the civilian world; I have a full time job (which I am willing to quit should I go AD), I have a wife, car notes, bills and student loans. The main thing making me want to go AD is that I will soon be divorced (not happy to say it, but that's life), I won't go AD because there's nothing else to do, it's actually what I've always wanted to do.

To sum it up, my question is; what financial and general steps should be taken prior to enlisting AD?

Re: How to prepare financially for basic?

The best thing I can tell you is make sure you're all current on any bills. In the meantime setup auto billpay & have a "comfortable" 6 months or so of funds to cover bills/expenses at your disposal. You may need more depending on how long your AIT may last. Of course don't forget the possibility of being a holdover and having to spend more time away than you initially planned.

That's my .02Ę worth.

Comment

A budget. I took a 35k paycut from NG to active. I had to radically cut expenses. If you have kids; expect an allotment for child support.

Comment

You should tell your recruiter, that you'd like to go AD. And then find a recruiter for AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          You should tell your recruiter, that you'd like to go AD. And then find a recruiter for AD.
          Did that today, we're going to sit down and talk about the pros, cons and look for the best option.

@fmcityslicker, we don't have kids, so that shouldn't become an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Pereira84 View Post
            Did that today, we're going to sit down and talk about the pros, cons and look for the best option.

@fmcityslicker, we don't have kids, so that shouldn't become an issue.
            Your NG recruiter has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose if you go AD. His "best option" is to completely ignore your "best option" and get you into an NG contract. If you want to go AD you need to give your current recruiter the respect of telling him so and pursuing an AD recruiter.

Be highly suspicious of any promises of active duty within the NG; it is almost definitely not going to happen.

Comment

Might be less likely since you're married, but you can also attempt to defer payments for big items like car and mortgage. Obviously a flawless payment history will give you some leverage. Doesn't cost you anything to at least inquire about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                Might be less likely since you're married, but you can also attempt to defer payments for big items like car and mortgage. Obviously a flawless payment history will give you some leverage. Doesn't cost you anything to at least inquire about it.
                That's what I'm thinking, after mulling it over, I feel that NG would probably be my best choice at this time because I definitely cannot come up with 6 months worth of bills. That's all that's holding me down right now. I've only come to that conclusion on my own, but that's why I'm here, to hear the opinions and advice from those who've already been through this.

Comment

Working...
                X