X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about basic packing list

I have a few questions about the packing list that gets linked often for basic training.

About do bring part:
    -Why do I need my rental contract?
    -Athletic supporter-is that a nut cup like they use in hockey?

Do not bring part:
    -Cell phones-are we really not expected to call anyone while at basic the whole time?
    -Why only D batteries are allowed?
    -No electronic devices at all?
    -No books of any kind?

I understand that we shouldn't be bringing tons of "entertainment" with us, but is it really that we can't have anything whatsoever with us? Even a small book for reading on the trip down or something?

Re: Questions about basic packing list

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
    I have a few questions about the packing list that gets linked often for basic training.

About do bring part:
    -Why do I need my rental contract?
    -Athletic supporter-is that a nut cup like they use in hockey?

Do not bring part:
    -Cell phones-are we really not expected to call anyone while at basic the whole time?
    -Why only D batteries are allowed?
    -No electronic devices at all?
    -No books of any kind?

I understand that we shouldn't be bringing tons of "entertainment" with us, but is it really that we can't have anything whatsoever with us? Even a small book for reading on the trip down or something?
    The rental contract is for verifying your eligibility for BAH, if you don't qualify you don't get the money
    I did not bring, or use during BCT, an athletic supporter. But yes, that is what one is.

They will take your cell phone from you on day 1 of BCT, and you may or may not get to use it again before you leave
    D batteries are for the flashlight you are required to purchase, no other electronic devices are allowed, so no other batteries are needed
    If you bring a book or something down, it will also be taken and secured with your civilian clothes and cell phone on day 1, and you will not have it until the end. The exception being a bible or religious text.

Comment

You're not going to summer camp. This is military training. So no, you won't have access to any "entertainment material". You'll be so busy that you wouldn't have time for it anyway. Most people do bring their cell phones despite what the packing list says. If you take it, you should be able to use it when the DS's allow you, usually once each phase. If you don't bring it, you'll have to purchase calling cards to call home.

Comment

If you rent from someone other than living at your parents house giving them rent money, you need the contract to receive additional money while away at training.

Some of the training while there will require the athletic supporter, you do some combatives (grappling like stuff).

We literally got three, 3-5 minute phone calls while there and it had to be from a pay phone with a phone card we werent allowed to get the cell phones out of where they stored them until the day before graduation. Its a shock to be away from all those items we are so used to. Six years ago I wasnt too into my cell phone so it wasnt too bad and I was 30+ years old but I can understand it from a very young adults view point. YIKES! You get used to it though and there isnt too much time to even think about it. I was a pack a day smoker for 15+ years when I went and I didnt even have much time to miss them.

You get an advance on your pay once you get there and they take you to a little mini store that pretty much only sells items you are allowed to have during training. THen they require you to purchase a few specific items with that money, one being a flashlight that requires the D batteries. I'd get two of them if I was you. Some last for a very long time, some just never work exactly right from the start. I still use them in the field. I like to take them to the latrine in the middle of the night. The things are heavy and would work good over someones head if need be. lol

Even if you dont consider yourself much of a religious person, bringing religious reading material comes in handy sometimes. You get all sorts of mixed feelings that go up and down while you are there and its nice to have on hand. Church becomes your friend on Sundays with many people.

Your days are filled for you from the time you get up until it is time to sleep. You will see that you didnt really have time for the electronics. During your specific job training in initial training some allow the phones and electronics. You can purchase some items at the PX (bigger store) while there if they allow them.

Remember paper/stamps/addresses/phone numbers/access to your bank account/Identification! And enough personal hygiene items for a couple days before you get to the little store with your advance on your pay.

Comment

So is the only way for us to contact people through mail?
          What if we need to check our bank accounts for bills and such?

Comment

So is the only way for us to contact people through mail?
            What if we need to check our bank accounts for bills and such?
            You get it all set up before you leave for training. You can add a trusted person to your account to take care of things and leave them details on what to do or you set up automatic bill pay with your bank and businesses you use. You arent the first person to go to training without being able to contact back home. Its doable with a little advance planning on your end. There are forms at the bank to route money to another account at any bank that I found helpful. I just routed the money on a specific day each month or week to that account and then my trusted person took care of it for me. It is actually required from your leadership to have your finacials set up before you leave, it isnt an option, you must.

This is only for a few months. It is in your best interest to start thinking of ways to take care of your personal life if gone for nine+ months at a time.
            Last edited by WIBecky74; October 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah I can understand all of that. The only thing im worried about is that I will set up automatic payments and what happens if my direct deposit doesnt go through before the bills do. When do we get paid at basic(I know its direct deposit)?

Comment

You get paid the 1st and 15th of every month. Have someone designated (GF/Spouse/Family member) that you trust to take care of your bills while you're gone. It may take awhile before the direct deposit gets flowing into your bank account, so keep that in mind. In terms of spending money, you will not spend a lot at BCT except when you are allowed to get hygiene/other needed items from the troop store (about once a month) as well as haircuts that you will pay for. Keep in mind though, when you go to the troop store and when you have the opportunity to buy t-shirts before your graduate, don't lose your mind. It's easy to drop well over $200.

Comment

I'm going to have a few drills before I go to basic so I will have direct deposit set up for that, i'm assuming I won't have to do another different form for basic?

Comment

I'm going to have a few drills before I go to basic so I will have direct deposit set up for that, i'm assuming I won't have to do another different form for basic?
                    I dont recall doing another form for direct deposit. Just to be on the safe side, doesnt hurt to bring all those type of account numbers and such with you. Organize addresses, phone numbers, and dates and whatever else you find useful on a piece of paper and pack that along with you. It varies how soon you see your first deposit and depends on the day of the week you start and how close it is to the next pay date... Once you get there, and one pay date passes, i'd personally expect it not the next pay date but the following one. Then its just a nice happy surprise to get it two weeks earlier if it does happen. Get the auto bill pay or whatever system you are going to use set up well in advance to leaving so it has time to process.

I'm seriously not trying to be mean or anything of the like, but I do get concerned with young males leaving town for one of their first times. Please dont take this the wrong way, but do you have a parent or someone simular that you can sit down with and go over getting everything set up before you leave? Two heads are almost always better than one. He or she might think of something you forgot about. I did the same thing and I was already into my 30s. Never hurts to double check anything.

Comment

My parents havent spoken to me since I enlisted but I have a good head on my shoulders and I will be prepared before I ship out. That's why if you haven't noticed iv'e been asking a lot of questions trying to become knowledgeable about what basic will be like, what to bring, how to handle certain things.

Comment

My parents havent spoken to me since I enlisted
                        That's too bad, hopefully they'll come around. Fight the Good Fight!

Comment

My parents havent spoken to me since I enlisted but I have a good head on my shoulders and I will be prepared before I ship out. That's why if you haven't noticed iv'e been asking a lot of questions trying to become knowledgeable about what basic will be like, what to bring, how to handle certain things.
                          Your recruiter and RSP cadre are good tools to use, as well, to help you double check everything before you leave. It sounds like you're on the right track, asking questions and learning everything you can about your commitment. It's hard doing it on your own, but you are right; you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Keep it up!

Comment

bring your documents and the clothes on your back if you are going to benning. They are going to make you rebuy everything. If anything bring a disposable razor and a tiny thing of shaving cream travel toothbrush and toothpaste. Don't go buy new running shoes or anything like that. The lighter you travel the better. I promise you that doing so will make the shark attack go SMOOTHER...not easier...but smoother.

Comment

I brought the documents my recruiter gave me, a tooth brush, tooth paste, a razor and shaving cream and my cell phone....

Comment

Working...
                              X