Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diifernce between basic training locations.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diifernce between basic training locations.

I was wondering what is the difference between the different places where basic training is held? I have heard and read people saying one place is better than another or worse than another. I would think that they should ALL be up to Army standards. I really want to go BCT then to OCS and on to BOLC for preferably CBRN And honestly I dont see a problem shipping to any of the locations as long as I am back in time to get to the accelerated OCS. I would think that success depends on the person not the location. Should I be more choosy?

Re: Diifernce between basic training locations.

While they are all to Army standards, the experience will be entirely dependent on things like your MOS, the behavior of you and your buddies, your drill sergeant staff and your chain of command. You do not choose where to go, but you can choose your MOS. There is only 1 place to go for infantry. But there are a few places you could go for other jobs. And sometimes your BCT/AIT locations will be the same, sometimes different (depending on MOS).

Comment

Ok that makes sense. So if you go the O9S route where would they send you?

Comment

Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
        Ok that makes sense. So if you go the O9S route where would they send you?
        Wherever there's space I believe. I'm also an 09S and I'm going to Fort Jackson, but I'm sure it has less to do with my MOS and more to do with available slots.

Comment

Good Luck to you. I wish your luck in your goal.

Comment

4 years ago when I was going through most of the support jobs went through Fort Jackson (Relaxin Jackson as it is called). Infantry went to one location and those in combat support jobs may go to Fort Leonord Wood or Ft Sill or Ft Knox. From what I have heard Ft Jackson is the easiest, but that isn't saying much. No matter what your going to get yelled at a lot, do a lot running, get little sleep and learn a lot in a very short period of time. I have heard that FT Benning is the toughest. I went through Jackson, and it was tough, but I have heard stories about Benning and we didn't have it nearly as tough as some of them.

As was stated, your MOS decides some of it (like infantry) but as 09S what probably decides your location more, is when you want to go to BCT. When I went to MEPS they asked when I wanted to go, I knew about the date and they gave me the locations around the time that had a BCT class starting around then. I just chose one. The guy next to me though was going 11B and they just gave him the dates that he could go. He just picked one.

Go in with the dates you want and then see what it is open around that time. That can make a world of difference as compared to the guy who goes in and just says whatever date and location is fine.

Comment

I went to 12 OSUT at Fort Leonard Wood many years ago. Now at Fort Leonard Wood, you have the Chemical and MP schools and their OSUTs. I even saw some about infantry over there at FLW. I do not know if there have infantry recruits that goes there as well and then heads to Benning afterwards. I would just think you send any 11x to Fort Benning.

Unlike the Marine Corps, the Army and other services have integrated training where men and women train together. I have never attended that type of training and do not know if that will make a difference in the level of "in your face" discipline and equal level training. But, just do you best and get the most out of it. Remember the training is just basic and will prep you from what it is to come. If you did not learn discipline and military bearing in the hardest of environments and graduated; then sadly, it will not help you later on.

Take it seriously, period.

Comment

If you do CBRN you will come to my neck of the woods aka Ft. LeonardWood aka Ft. Lost in the Woods. All i know about CBRN's is they say they have lots of fun in AIT and you will visit a chamber where the difference between sealed MOP gear and leaky MOP gear is Death so no joking there.
                Well it's hard to say anything but each experience is unique. I would say that Ft. Jackson is the easiest based upon some of the stories i've heard but no BCT is "easy" depending upon how you look at it. In the end you will miss BCT but would never want to do it again. I went through BCT and AIT at Ft. Leonardwood and it was alright. Half time spent on 50/50 fireguard, lots of smoke sessions in the pit, and a lot of Soldiers i wouldn't trust with a BB gun sadly. Gender intergration can vary but in my experience Females (no disrespect to fellow female soldiers) got us Males in trouble ALOT! Atleast once a week they came foward saying a male said such and such to them. Well we didn't expect much sleep on those nights. AIT was alright but lots of running in 10 F weather. One of the crappiest factors of TRADOC at MO is the weather; you might experience 100+ days in heat cat. 5 or only allowed silkies in close to 0 F. I was lucky enough to experience both lol. One benefit is i live in missouri and our Unit trains at FTL often so i know the whole damn base and alot of the cadre there! I actually did EIB training with two of my DS's.

Comment

Working...
                X