Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STO (Split Training Option) Question

Hello,

I plan on joining the guard and my intention is to join as a 68W, but the 25 weeks training is posing a problem. The reason that this a problem is because I am in graduate school and I can't miss a semester for my AIT. The STO seems like the perfect choice for me, but according to my recruiter that I talked to there is a problem. With the STO they cant guarantee that my AIT would be in the summer, because apparently there are training deployment dates in January. What this would mean is that even if I do the STO option I might be forced to do my AIT in January or around there, rather than in the summer following my Basic.

I was wondering what are the chances with STO that I would get the summer training dates for my AIT. And if there is something I can do to guarantee it? Thanks guys.

Some information to help:
    MOS: 68W
    Education: 3 bachelors, and in my masters program (1st yr)
    State: MT
    Last edited by Williams; September 14th, 2012, 12:01 AM.

Re: STO (Split Training Option) Question

Based on my knowledge and I would be corrected if I am wrong; split-training is available primarily for MOSes that fall under OSUT. For example, Infantry, MP, Chemical, Combat Engineer. I don know know if that is the case with 68W.

Comment

My company in AIT (68W) had about a dozen split-ops, including myself. It is possible and they can work it out. The problem with getting an AIT date though it there are many variables and you only get so many months off from college and you may get stuck at AIT a few more weks that you were planning to. Your best bet is to either take a semester off, or go to BCT one summer then go AIT after you finish your degree the following year.

The 16 weeks for AIT could be as long at 20+ weeks if you get stuck in reception. We had 2 dozen people get stuck there for a month because they plane from BCT was late and they missed the start of their training by 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
        The 16 weeks for AIT could be as long at 20+ weeks if you get stuck in reception. We had 2 dozen people get stuck there for a month because they plane from BCT was late and they missed the start of their training by 45 minutes.
        In other words, the class filled up so they got bumped to the next one. There is no way that this was based on them having to "make up" 45 minutes of training. That would be an obvious IG complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Based on my knowledge and I would be corrected if I am wrong; split-training is available primarily for MOSes that fall under OSUT. For example, Infantry, MP, Chemical, Combat Engineer. I don know know if that is the case with 68W.
          To add to this, STO is often reserved primarily for High School Students and THEN some college students, if there are slots available.

I don't think it's "impossible", but I would discuss your situation with your recruiter as soon as you can. If it comes down to it, can you finish your degree first or put your training off for a semester?

Comment

STO is avalible for any MOS, however Cass is right that your school dates may simply end up conflicting due to length of training and the dates you HAVE to be back in school. You CAN delay shipping even to BCT (and simply perform RSP drills) until next summer, and then do a shorter OSUT MOS in the summer that will combine BCT and AIT in a managable period. The question you have to ask yourself is WHY are you joining? Is it for educational incentives, or the MOS? If it's for incentives, I'd simply pick a shorter MOS and call it good.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
              In other words, the class filled up so they got bumped to the next one. There is no way that this was based on them having to "make up" 45 minutes of training. That would be an obvious IG complaint.
              That is most likely the case. The cadre in reception were telling us its because they were late. I doubted it the whole time. The company before us had 350 soldiers in it. We only had 250 in ours.

Comment

with three bachelors degree have you thought of going Officer? just a though, also why cant you miss a semester of school?

Comment

Working...
                X