Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First payment & Internet access - please help!

Hi all,

I have two questions which I'd like to clarify very much. I leave for my basic on September 10 and my wife leaves next Monday (August 27). We're both in the NG, only she's going to be a 92a and I - 91b. Her BCT is in Virginia, and mine is in Oklahoma. The questions are:

1) Our recruiter and my Drill Sergeant at the RSP contradict each other regarding the payment. The recruiter says that as she's going on August 27, she should probably receive her first paycheck on September 15. However, the Drill Sergeant said that we cannot count on that and that it could take up to 30 days to process the first paycheck. It's a very important question for me, as I myself am going on September 10 and doubt that I'll receive anything in September (except advance pay, but it's issued as a special debit card, not as a payment to your account), and I have to set up an automated payment. Could you please let me know your thoughts? Does it really take 30 days to receive your first payment?

2) I always thought (and my recruiter did not tell me otherwise until yesterday) that I would have access to Internet at BCT, not every day, but at least once a week, and so I would be able to control my bill payments. However, yesterday, in our recruiter's final conversation with my wife before the BCT, he said that most probably I won't and so all my payments must be set up as automatic. This came as a formidable blow to me. The problem is that we're a bit short on money now, and I know that in America a returned payment or check is a terrible thing which spoils your history forever, so I am afraid to set up automatic payments!

Of course, I did not count on my BCT money only. I rent out an apartment in my native country, and they sent me payments on my VISA card issued there. But the problem is that in September this card expires and I cannot make a new one because I am not physically there! So I had to set up another transfer method, directly to my American card, but we'll do it for the first time next month and I cannot be sure there won't be ANY delays etc., until we actually do it. So, again, I am very much afraid to set up an automated payment.

Please let me know what you think about this, I really need help and advice.

Re: First payment & Internet access - please help!

Originally posted by RKasp View Post
    2) I always thought (and my recruiter did not tell me otherwise until yesterday) that I would have access to Internet at BCT, not every day, but at least once a week, and so I would be able to control my bill payments. However, yesterday, in our recruiter's final conversation with my wife before the BCT, he said that most probably I won't and so all my payments must be set up as automatic. This came as a formidable blow to me. The problem is that we're a bit short on money now, and I know that in America a returned payment or check is a terrible thing which spoils your history forever, so I am afraid to set up automatic payments! ...

Please let me know what you think about this, I really need help and advice.
    Is it possible to have your wife make these payments?

Comment

You could look into requesting deferments for your big items like car payments and mortgage. They would essentially put those payments at the end of the loan, so it would be extended for up to a few months without any repercussions. Typically approved in hardship situations.

Use your online banking to schedule payments to occur on paydays. If you overdraft (take out more money than is in your account) you will be hit with a fee. But I am pretty sure your credit will not be affected.

Originally posted by National poG View Post
      I was assuming they were both going to be gone at the same time. Otherwise, this is of course the obvious question.

Comment

Does it really take 30 days to receive your first payment?

-----They tell you this as a worst case scenario. I am relativly sure you will both receive a check in september. The first one will probably be a prorated pay, and then the next one will fall on schedule.

I know that in America a returned payment or check is a terrible thing which spoils your history forever, so I am afraid to set up automatic payments!

-----What in the world are you talking about? If you bounce a check, you pay a fee and pay the check...the FBI doesn't come after you.

Comment

Originally posted by National poG View Post
          Hello, welcome to Earth.

(I leave for my basic on September 10 and my wife leaves next Monday (August 27). We're both in the NG, only she's going to be a 92a and I - 91b. Her BCT is in Virginia, and mine is in Oklahoma.)

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            Hello, welcome to Earth.

(I leave for my basic on September 10 and my wife leaves next Monday (August 27). We're both in the NG, only she's going to be a 92a and I - 91b. Her BCT is in Virginia, and mine is in Oklahoma.)
            Yeah, I feel a little dumb for not putting two and two together. D:

Comment

I will call up your billing companies and explain the situation. If you have a checking account; you can send them post-dated checks to have them ahead of time. Yes, it should take about a month but if you are already receive your pay from RSP; the only thing happening is that you are moving to a different DFAS center. You may or may not but I think both of you should receive end-of-month pay for September but I wont bet on it.

Also, I heard cell phones are allowed so if you have a smart phone with a good wireless plan, you can pay your bills over an app on the phone or simply using the internet on it.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                I will call up your billing companies and explain the situation. If you have a checking account; you can send them post-dated checks to have them ahead of time. Yes, it should take about a month but if you are already receive your pay from RSP; the only thing happening is that you are moving to a different DFAS center. You may or may not but I think both of you should receive end-of-month pay for September but I wont bet on it.

Also, I heard cell phones are allowed so if you have a smart phone with a good wireless plan, you can pay your bills over an app on the phone or simply using the internet on it.
                It depends on where and how fast they improcess him. His mypay is already setup, but they have to input his active duty orders in the system.....

Still, I bet their pay kicks in almost right on time. Probably even a mid month check for the wifey.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. So, generally, you think that there's a good chance that my wife receives her first payment earlier than 30 days from her BCT beginning. It would be fine. I will make sure about cell phones, I've heard that we can be allowed to use them. I did not think about accessing the Internet from my smartphone at BCT. Maybe that's a good idea too.

Both our MyPay accounts are set up, as my wife was enlisted in April and I joined in the end of May. We have both already received our payments directly into our account, not as checks.

Comment

Yes, that is called direct deposit.

Comment

Keep in mind that you will both be short, (what is it about $350?) that you will get as an 'advance' on your eagle card to buy supplies at the PX etc when you get to BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                        Keep in mind that you will both be short, (what is it about $350?) that you will get as an 'advance' on your eagle card to buy supplies at the PX etc when you get to BCT.
                        Thank you. I know it. I am more worried about the first payment generally, if it will be with a deduction, it still should be fine. By the way, what's YOUR opinion, should we take our cell phones, or we will get yelled at by sergeants and get our phones thrown out? I understood that we can, and we can be allowed to use them from time to time.

Comment

My direct deposit is already set up so will i be able to expect that i will receive pay at the same rate i have been able to receive pay for my RSP drills... like same time wait and such?

Comment

Originally posted by WeltonBree2012 View Post
                            My direct deposit is already set up so will i be able to expect that i will receive pay at the same rate i have been able to receive pay for my RSP drills... like same time wait and such?
                            Your rate will change in the fact that you will now be on Active Duty status. Here's what I mean.

I believe the general wait time for your first deposit is approximately 3 weeks. It's been a while so I'm sure others can chime in on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X