Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSUT question with college?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OSUT question with college?

    Hello there everybody, I am going to start my senior year of high school in about two weeks. I have been enlisted for almost two months and love the National Guard so far!! I leave for BCT and AIT June 26 of next year. My projected day back is October 11ish. I was wondering what will I do if I miss some college because classes start late August??

  • #2
    Re: OSUT question with college?

    You will miss it. Happened to me when I was a split-op in 84. Got inserted a little longer than expected and when I returned; the term had already started. Que sera sera.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OSUT question with college?

      You need to ask those questions to your school.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OSUT question with college?

        Are there earlier ship dates available?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OSUT question with college?

          Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post
          Are there earlier ship dates available?
          I don't think so sir, I'll be in high school until around June 2. My ship date is June 26. Maybe I could get a earlier date?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: OSUT question with college?

            try to get one in mid may. you will get to school a few weeks late, but if you work hard you can get caught up. I had a buddy get back 4 weeks into school from being at airborne, and he finally got caught up. I was 2 weeks late and had no problem getting all caught up

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: OSUT question with college?

              What is your MOS? Trying to get a ship date change can mean you having to take a different MOS in return if there is nothing sooner for your current one.

              I am going to take a guess and say you enlisted either 11B, 19D or 31B?
              Last edited by SteveLord; August 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: OSUT question with college?

                Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                What is your MOS? Trying to get a ship date change can mean you having to take a different MOS in return if there is nothing sooner for your current one.

                I am going to take a guess and say you enlisted either 11B, 19D or 31B?
                I enlisted as a 12B Combat Engineer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: OSUT question with college?

                  I can't imagine that you could get caught up after missing 6 weeks and if you did what your grades would look like. Why not take the first semester off or see if they have a few study at your own pace classess you can take that first semester.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: OSUT question with college?

                    My advice is to NOT worry about missing the fall semester. Who really cares?
                    This whole social construct that makes it a "law," stating that you must go to college right after high school and graduate in 4 years, is a bunch of bologna.

                    However if you are seriously in need to graduate in that four year period (4 years after HS) You'd only need to tack on one extra class for 4-5 semesters. Not to mention you can take a summer class, here and there, making your fall and spring semesters unaffected.

                    Bottom line, missing a semester is nothing, it's not worth a nanosecond of worry in my opinion.
                    Last edited by AWeisenberger; August 20th, 2012, 11:07 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: OSUT question with college?

                      Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                      try to get one in mid may. you will get to school a few weeks late, but if you work hard you can get caught up. I had a buddy get back 4 weeks into school from being at airborne, and he finally got caught up. I was 2 weeks late and had no problem getting all caught up
                      It can actually depend on the individual professor. I went to a big 10 school and was told with nearly all of my classes that missing more than a week (2 if I was lucky) was an automatic Failure.

                      As mentioned above OP, talk to your school and see what their policy is. You might be able to do a couple of accelerated 8 week courses. Again, this depends on what kind of college you're going to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: OSUT question with college?

                        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        It can actually depend on the individual professor. I went to a big 10 school and was told with nearly all of my classes that missing more than a week (2 if I was lucky) was an automatic Failure.

                        As mentioned above OP, talk to your school and see what their policy is. You might be able to do a couple of accelerated 8 week courses. Again, this depends on what kind of college you're going to.
                        we had the same rule, if you miss 3 classes, you drop a letter grade, and then it very quickly moves to an F after that. However, my school was a very conservative Christian school, so the general view of the military was very high, and a very high percentage of the students do serve. so, they are a lot more lenient on those types of things. but to say more to the OP, anymore, most students dont finish college in 4 years since the economy is so bad. their families need them to take some time off to earn more money in order to afford it, so don't think you will be the only one. college works way different than high school with the age association

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X