Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split Option Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Split Option Question

    I am probably planning on doing the split option between BCT and AIT because I am in college currently and do not want to miss a semester. After BCT in the summer, would the one weekend every month training begin after BCT or the following summer after AIT? What does that one weekend every month training include while training at the armory? Your specific MOS?

  • #2
    Re: Split Option Question

    You'll attend RSP drills once a month before you go to BCT and inbetween BCT and AIT. You won't start drilling with your unit until after AIT. RSP drills gives you a taste of what being in the ARNG is like and gives you a little preperation for BCT. What you do at your unit drills I'm sure can vary from month to month and would depend on your unit and MOS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Split Option Question

      I am looking at trying to attend BCT shortly after classes end in May 2013. How early could I be able to start RSP days? Do you get paid for RSP?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Split Option Question

        Originally posted by Justin Castleman View Post
        I am looking at trying to attend BCT shortly after classes end in May 2013. How early could I be able to start RSP days? Do you get paid for RSP?
        You will start RSP right away and you are paid any time that you are serving (Drills, Training, etc) http://bit.ly/Lb8SNZ

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Split Option Question

          Originally posted by Justin Castleman View Post
          I am looking at trying to attend BCT shortly after classes end in May 2013. How early could I be able to start RSP days? Do you get paid for RSP?
          Just to make sure we're on the same page:

          1. Have you found a recruiter?
          2. Have you been processed through MEPS?

          If you answer NO to either question, then you're not ready to move forward. If you've answered YES to both questions, then your recruiter should have informed you on when and where your first RSP drill is. Yes, you will be paid for each RSP drill you attend before you ship to BCT, and when you return from BCT. You will continue to go to RSP drills until your ship date for AIT.

          You will attend one more RSP drill after you complete AIT, then you'll report to your designated unit the following month. However, if your unit drills shortly after RSP in the same month you may also be required to attend drill at your unit the same month or your unit may request that you forego your final RSP drill and go to your unit. You'll find all that out later. For now just worry about going to RSP drills.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Split Option Question

            Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            Just to make sure we're on the same page:

            1. Have you found a recruiter?
            2. Have you been processed through MEPS?

            If you answer NO to either question, then you're not ready to move forward. If you've answered YES to both questions, then your recruiter should have informed you on when and where your first RSP drill is. Yes, you will be paid for each RSP drill you attend before you ship to BCT, and when you return from BCT. You will continue to go to RSP drills until your ship date for AIT.

            You will attend one more RSP drill after you complete AIT, then you'll report to your designated unit the following month. However, if your unit drills shortly after RSP in the same month you may also be required to attend drill at your unit the same month or your unit may request that you forego your final RSP drill and go to your unit. You'll find all that out later. For now just worry about going to RSP drills.
            No is the answer for both. I am just trying to get some general information on the timeline of things so I know what to expect. Just wondering how soon I would be able to get the process going from the beginning if I don't plan on attending BCT until summer of 2013. I will find a recruiter to help me through this process, obviously.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Split Option Question

              Originally posted by Justin Castleman View Post
              No is the answer for both. I am just trying to get some general information on the timeline of things so I know what to expect. Just wondering how soon I would be able to get the process going from the beginning if I don't plan on attending BCT until summer of 2013. I will find a recruiter to help me through this process, obviously.
              Yes. Obviously.


              Something you're going to have to consider: Depending on what MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) you select or possible scheduling issues, injury while in training etc. you may miss a month or two near the end of the spring semester into the summer or miss the first month or two into the beginning of the fall semester if you pick an MOS with a long BCT/AIT (11B OSUT) or a long AIT (68W). With the right MOS (92G) it's possible to get trained and miss little or no college time at all.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Split Option Question

                I was able to goto 11B OSUT during a summer and not miss any school. We had others go 12B* and 88M during the summer without missing school too.

                If you are thinking about going through any of these MOS, I would just knock it all out.



                *fixed..
                Last edited by j.stetzer; August 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Split Option Question

                  Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post
                  I was able to goto 11B OSUT during a summer and not miss any school. We had others go 21B and 88M during the summer without missing school too.

                  If you are thinking about going through any of these MOS, I would just knock it all out.
                  Depends on scheduling, sir.

                  For whatever craziness that was going on downrange they had to schedule me to leave two months before the end of the semester. Guess they pulled that stunt on me because I'm a teacher not a student.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Split Option Question

                    Okay thanks. I am looking to be a 31B so I will probably take the fall semester off. It looks like 17 weeks of OSUT if I am getting the correct information.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Split Option Question

                      Agreed, especially if you enlist now and have to RSP drill until summer of next year. Just get it all out of the way, even if you have to take one semester off. RSP is great for a few months of training before you ship to BCT, but it will get old after a while, trust me. I'm going into my 6th month of it and have one more to go before I ship. If you do split op you will have to be stuck in RSP for the next year, and the folks in my Company that are on that cycle are burned out. Get it done, start drilling with your unit, and focus on college.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Split Option Question

                        Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                        Agreed, especially if you enlist now and have to RSP drill until summer of next year. Just get it all out of the way, even if you have to take one semester off. RSP is great for a few months of training before you ship to BCT, but it will get old after a while, trust me. I'm going into my 6th month of it and have one more to go before I ship. If you do split op you will have to be stuck in RSP for the next year, and the folks in my Company that are on that cycle are burned out. Get it done, start drilling with your unit, and focus on college.
                        If I enlist now, do they give me the option of when I will attend BCT. For instance, could I say I don't want to attend BCT until I am done with Spring semester and be involved with RSP for 8 months until BCT?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Split Option Question

                          You generally get to choose from a handful of available BCT dates.

                          Let your recruiter know your intentions about leaving after Spring.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Split Option Question

                            All great advice! When you're ready to connect with a recruiter, you can do so through the Pre-Qualification form online. Here's the link: Pre-Qual Form

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X