X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a house while in BCT & AIT

So, my wife and I made the decision to start construction on our new house during the time that I'll be gone for BCT & AIT. Our plan is to have the house finished around the same time I come home so we can move in to the house together. Her and my daughter will be living with her parents during construction and while I'm gone.

My question is, our mortgage company says they may need to get in touch with me while I'm in training for any number or reasons, and asked if I would be available to get emails or receive phone calls. I told them that for the first 10 weeks I would have virtually no contact with the outside world, and that I wasn't going to waste my preciouse phone time on the mortgage dude. I realize that these restrictions will probably lighten up once I make it to AIT, but is there any way for them to reach me while at BCT if they do in fact need me for something important? I would hate for something to go wrong with the mortgage or the construction process and my wife not be able to handle it on her own.

Re: Building a house while in BCT & AIT

You hit the nail on the head (pun intended ); you really won't be available to the outside world during BCT. For AIT, it really depends on what MOS you're going for and the Drill Sergeants you get. Some are more lenient and allow cell phones at certain times. Others only give you access to technology on the weekends. Of course, there's always postal mail, but there can be delays with that, too.

Overall, if you're serious about moving forward with your house building plans, it's probably wise to prepare your wife to take care of the correspondence portion while you're gone. Otherwise, it just might be worth the inconvenience of waiting until you've completed your training.

Hope this helps!

Comment

+1 to Mr. RyCass.

Go get a special (or General) power attorney for your spouse to handle your matters while you are away. She then can act and decide on your behalf. Dont they do anyway?

Comment

The drill Sgts are surprisingly human also. They won't be all like "You need to call your mortgage company guy so your family can have a roof over their heads on a Tuesday when all we are doing is cleaning rifles and your rifle is spotless, how dare you? Everyone out on the drill pad for some PT."

I remember distinctly drill sgts letting privates register for college classes and what not during CQ duty in their office. You just have to have some situational awareness about it. Middle of the FTX is a bad time lol.

Or just get a POA, I think you can get one from your neighborhood JAG office. Or google it and pay 10 dollars and get it notarized.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
          The drill Sgts are surprisingly human also. They won't be all like "You need to call your mortgage company guy so your family can have a roof over their heads on a Tuesday when all we are doing is cleaning rifles and your rifle is spotless, how dare you? Everyone out on the drill pad for some PT."

I remember distinctly drill sgts letting privates register for college classes and what not during CQ duty in their office. You just have to have some situational awareness about it. Middle of the FTX is a bad time lol.

Or just get a POA, I think you can get one from your neighborhood JAG office. Or google it and pay 10 dollars and get it notarized.
          This is not an inclusive piece of advice. As stated above, it really depends on where he goes to BCT and who his DS' will be. It is wiser to prepare for little opportunity to communicate than to assume he will get the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            This is not an inclusive piece of advice. As stated above, it really depends on where he goes to BCT and who his DS' will be. It is wiser to prepare for little opportunity to communicate than to assume he will get the opportunity.
            +1

Plan on no contact with any one other than your spouse/family during basic. Contacting a mortgage company I'm sure would need to happen during business hours and you can pretty much bet you'll have no phone time during normal business hours.

Comment

Working...
            X