Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping to basic training overweight?

Hey everybody,
    I was taped at MEPS and accepted, I ship July 3rd to Ft. Jackson but on June 12th I leave for Europe until June 29th. My question is about arriving at BCT overweight. I was around 206 when I signed but now I've gained about 13 pounds since then (a year ago) I've been trying to lose it recently and I've had some success, I've lost about 5 but I'm really scared about not passing tape at reception. My mile is 9:15 and I can do 30 pushup and situps but I don't want to get stuck in FTC.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me information about what happens if you don't pass tape at reception or don't run the mile in 8:30 or less. I'm just really scared and I'm the first overweight soldier my recruiter has put in so he really isn't sure what would happen either.
    I'm trying to stay positive about being able to drop the weight but I want to know what's ginna happen to me a well if I don't manage it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Shipping to basic training overweight?

Someone with more experience might be able to answer this for sure, however I have been told at my RSP drills that if you can't pass weight or your 1:1:1 then you do not ship.

Oh a side note, if you do not ship out on your assigned date you are in violation of your contract and any bonuses, SLRP or other goodies in your contract can and will be taken away. You might still be able to ship at another date but all the extras will most likely be gone. Thats how I read it in my contract anyway.

Your Europe trip sounds awesome, but I think you are going to be in for a world of hurt at BCT if you aren't in shape.

Comment

I did BCT at Ft, Jackson last May. I was taped the last RSP before I shipped. I was not taped at all during BCT. We did the 1-1-1 at BCT, but failing it didn't get us sent home or removed from our PLT, it just meant we had to work harder. The only test that really counted was a regular APFT a week or so before the last FTX (Victory Forge). If you failed that one, you were not going to graduate (well there was at least 1 make-up).

Even at AIT our weight wasn't checked, it wasn't until I hit my unit that weight mattered.

Of course everything changes daily, and my advice to you is try to bring and keep your weight into standards ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by skyreep View Post
        Hey everybody,
        I was taped at MEPS and accepted, I ship July 3rd to Ft. Jackson but on June 12th I leave for Europe until June 29th. My question is about arriving at BCT overweight. I was around 206 when I signed but now I've gained about 13 pounds since then (a year ago) I've been trying to lose it recently and I've had some success, I've lost about 5 but I'm really scared about not passing tape at reception. My mile is 9:15 and I can do 30 pushup and situps but I don't want to get stuck in FTC.
        I was wondering if anyone could give me information about what happens if you don't pass tape at reception or don't run the mile in 8:30 or less. I'm just really scared and I'm the first overweight soldier my recruiter has put in so he really isn't sure what would happen either.
        I'm trying to stay positive about being able to drop the weight but I want to know what's ginna happen to me a well if I don't manage it. Thanks in advance.

You will be weighed/taped at MEPS the day you ship. If you do NOT meet the standard (26% bodyfat for Non Prior Service) you will NOT ship.

I would be genuinely surprised if you Recruiter/RSP NCOs have not been telling you that.
        Last edited by Mongoose772; May 9th, 2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

the RSP cadre was stressing that they wouldn't send us to MEPS if we didn't meet standards. they said with the army shrinking, those at basic are looking for reasons to drop you, and they wouldn't have anyone in their platoon getting kicked out for weight or PT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            You will be weighed/taped at MEPS the day you ship. If you do NOT meet the standard (26% bodyfat for Non Prior Service) you will NOT ship.

I would be genuinely surprised if you Recruiter/RSP NCOs have not been telling you that.
            I was over when I went to ship, and never got weighed at reception at all. I didn't pass tape when i went to BCT either, but nobody really did anything about it. they figured i would slim down in the first few weeks of that heat.. they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post

This may be the difference, when I shipped I didn't go back to MEPS, I was direct ship from my RSP Armory. We did not do any weighing that day, but I had been weighed/taped a few weeks prior at the last RSP drill I attended.

Comment

No kidding? Normally there is a "pre-ship" checklist that says something like, "Soldier meets height/weight IAW AR 600-9 blah blah blah." I suppose the veracity of the claim is only as honest as the people in charge of ensuring the standard is met. Perhaps there are some states that don't validate the standards prior to shipping. I can say definitively that we send all our RSP shippers back to MEPS prior to flying out from the nearby international airport. Maybe our OP will get lucky, but as I've said before starting a career that close to the edge is an open invitation to a troubled career.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
                  This may be the difference, when I shipped I didn't go back to MEPS, I was direct ship from my RSP Armory. We did not do any weighing that day, but I had been weighed/taped a few weeks prior at the last RSP drill I attended.
                  I'm in the same boat. I asked my recruiter what would happen if I was over and his response was, "They'll make you under".

I'm actually really excited for it and I can actually say, I'm really most excited about becoming more healthy. I've heard so much stuff about how, if you don't pass a 1 mile run in reception in under 8:30 they send you to FTC. And I've heard stuff about Half Rations too. I think I can make it because I really don't feel like I've packed on much, I am just so scared that I would go to FTC and then lose my 68W spot, because thats a huge part of why I enlisted. My run just really needs work.

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                    I was over when I went to ship, and never got weighed at reception at all. I didn't pass tape when i went to BCT either, but nobody really did anything about it. they figured i would slim down in the first few weeks of that heat.. they were right.
                    Really??? So you're telling me that DS Johnson taped you at the preship site and told you that you didn't make it and then still shipped you anyways???

OP, you must make tape before you can ship. If you don't make it, you could look at being discharged for failing to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                      Really??? So you're telling me that DS Johnson taped you at the preship site and told you that you didn't make it and then still shipped you anyways???

OP, you must make tape before you can ship. If you don't make it, you could look at being discharged for failing to ship.
                      Yep, granted I was only 1% over and the way they taped us had us looking up so our necks were small, and holding our breath so our stomachs were as big as possible. Basically, they just didn't let me eat carbs for the 3 days I was there, which was awful, and then by the time i was done reception and the heat had gotten to me, I was back in the limit.

Comment

How much were you over? This is high priority. On my own i have not been able to lose this last 4 lbs! is that enough for them to keep me from shipping?

Comment

Working...
                        X