X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Option BCT AIT

Hey just trying to get a little more information on split option BCT/AIT. I'm a high school junior and I know I'd go this summer for BCT then next summer AIT before college,
    • What type of pay would I be getting (My eagle scout and 3 years JROTC get me E-3)?
    • Would I still attend monthly drill?
    • If my hopeful MOS is MP's would I be assigned to a MP unit rather than the engineers in my county?
    • Would i have to wait until after AIT to work on promotion to E-4?
    Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance- R. Freeman

Re: Split Option BCT AIT

1. should get E-3 if that is what everything says. I am not sure, I got my E3 from college credit, but I know guys who had at least E-2 from being Eagle Scouts/jrotc
    2. yes, RSP, which is pre-ship drill. you would get put in the AIT group when you got back, and probably have a little bit more responsibility in leading the newer guys, as well as taking a full 2-2-2 pt test instead of the pre-ship 1-1-1.
    3. You will get put wherever there is a slot in your MOS. that might mean that you will have to drive 4 hours after you get to your unit to get to drill. your RSP site should be somewhere close though, depending on the state, there tend to be a lot of those.
    4. No, e-3 to 3-4 comes from 24 months time in service. so if you signed up may 1 2012, you will get orders put in (as long as you arent a screw up or a fat-body) for e4 come may 1-4 2014

Comment

That sounds great, thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

now i had a buddy go through basic last year (Ft. Jackson) with a cell phone pretty much the whole time but I see that its contraband on the packing list, whats the deal there?

Comment

Those policies change all the time. It means your cell phone will be confiscated while you're there and returned when you're done.

Comment

Cool beans. Thanks for that.

Comment

chances are that you will get to make a few calls while you are there though, on a sunday for 10 minutes or so.. no guarantee, but i haven't heard of anyone going through, especially outside of benning, who didnt get at least one call while they were there.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Another question. I was looking through training dates and MP won't work for me. Other things such as cavalry scout require OSUT. Can I do split op and OSUT or is there no way to do that?

Comment

you can do split op for some OSUT, i am not sure about Cav Scouts though. I would imagine it is possible, as it is also at benning and they do a split op for infantry. talk to your recruiter about it, he would have concrete dates. I wish i knew someone who did a split 19d but the only ones i know of doing it were 88m, 11b, and MP

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

You can do split op with any mos. if you want to ship this summer you need to talk to your recruiter quickly because slots are filling up fast for split ops right now.

Comment

Well thats my plan but how does osut work with split op?

Comment

they have units dedicated to the split ops. for instance, you will go to basic training at benning in... lets say Aco 1/50 and then come home after the 9 weeks. you will then go back the next year into either a company dedicated to split ops (depending on when you go, summer generally has these), which will start you around week 7 of basic and then go through to AIT, just to remind you that you are back in basic again.. or, if you go in an off-peak time, they will simply throw you in with in osut company that is in week 7 or 8, and you will go on their 36 hr pass, and then be with them through the AIT portion. I have friends that have done it both ways

Comment

Ok cause my recruiter said that cav scout might not work. I dont know for sure and wont until meps i figure. I just didnt know if they would split osut like that or not. It sure makes sense to.

Comment

Working...
                              X