Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Of Plans - New Questions

Hello NG Forum Friends!

As I am on the cusp of Phase 0 for traditional OCS, there has been an unexpected change of plans.

I have been training pretty hard in preparation for OCS and as such have managed to slightly tear a ligament in my arch! I am told by my podiatrist I will be fine by June, but am off running a minimum of 6 weeks, putting me out of the 'running' (no pun intended) for Phase 0 for my traditional OCS. Unfortunately, I cannot attend Phase 0 next spring as come February 2013 will be my 2 year enlistment anniversary and I must be MOSQ's in 'something'.

I am told my only option to retain my enlistment and service in the Guard is to attend AIT THIS summer for my 'back-up MOS' in my contract. I was a bit discouraged at first but as my ultimate goal is too serve, I have no problem doing that as an enlisted soldier, hopefully an NCO someday.

My MOS is 25U and I would be part of a fantastic aviation unit here in my town and I am actually looking forward to it as I am pretty computer savvy, so I welcome the challenge.

I have searched the forum for all of the information I could find on attending Fort Gordon as a 25U, as of right now it will be June-September (I believe) since it is 16-17 weeks long.

I am curious how much it is like or not like BCT? Screaming and smokings or more of a learning environment?
    Am I allowed to take a laptop? (for later use....I know it is restrictive at first)
    Does anyone (who has been there) have any recommendations on what to pack? (aside from my typical ACU's, etc...)
    How many people are housed in the bay/barracks? (I've got to say, at 37 BCT (38 now) w/50 females was like the 'slumber party from he11) LOL

As I have now thoroughly studied many FM's for OCS I have the doctrines of war, D&C and some others pretty well down, so I hope that will help.

I was disappointed at first, but in the end all I want is to serve AND to lead and I'll be just as proud to have that opportunity as an NCO. Thanks for everyone's support over the last couple years!

Re: Change Of Plans - New Questions

I can't offer you a lot of info about AIT, but I will say that you do want to make sure you get AIT done before 24 months. I see so many OCS enlistments end up discharged because they never went to AIT and then OCS doesn't pan out. Also, you can always do OCS after completing AIT, so its not gone forever.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      I can't offer you a lot of info about AIT, but I will say that you do want to make sure you get AIT done before 24 months. I see so many OCS enlistments end up discharged because they never went to AIT and then OCS doesn't pan out. Also, you can always do OCS after completing AIT, so its not gone forever.
      My MSG says as long as I am 'in' AIT, I'd be fine, but if I go this summer, I will complete it 4 months before my 2 year anniversary anyway. I didn't think with my age that I would be eligible for OCS anymore.

Comment

I was just looking on our states OCS site and it says, "no age waiver past age 41" so you should be good to go. Aren't you just 36?

Comment

That was when I first signed up here...lol

I'm 38 now.

Comment

lol...I forgot we have had quite the long journey with you here. But that still gives you time to do OCS.

Comment

Well, regardless of still having a shot at OCS in the future, I am still off to Fort Gordon as a 25U....so if anyone has any advice or experiences to share, I'd be very interested in hearing them!

Comment

PM me your info and I like you up with tons of 25Us.

I like the area.

Comment

Just returned from a meeting with my OCS recruiter. Her recommendation is to 'heal up' and train this summer, do AOCS in December.

If I'm not fit by December for OCS, then I'm not fit for AIT either so I might as well go for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X