Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE-4 (not asking for help just a question)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE-4 (not asking for help just a question)

So I’m actually getting somewhere with getting into the guard. All i had was RE-4 ELS Erroneous enlistment. There was no narrative reason for why i was separated, anywhere, the recruiter looked into it for me. Anyways on to the real question. I was wondering that if and when i got into the guard and served my term without issue, and trust me there will NOT be any issues. Will the time in the guard convert my RE-4 to something else like RE-1, or even an RE-3 for medical because of what happened the first time, something that will allow me to rejoin the navy?

Re: RE-4 (not asking for help just a question)

Originally posted by Forrian View Post
    So I’m actually getting somewhere with getting into the guard. All i had was RE-4 ELS Erroneous enlistment. There was no narrative reason for why i was separated, anywhere, the recruiter looked into it for me. Anyways on to the real question. I was wondering that if and when i got into the guard and served my term without issue, and trust me there will NOT be any issues. Will the time in the guard convert my RE-4 to something else like RE-1, or even an RE-3 for medical because of what happened the first time, something that will allow me to rejoin the navy?
    So you want to use the Army National Guard to eventually enlist in the US Navy? That sounds erroneous to me

Anyway, once you fulfill an enlistment contract honorably without issues, you can receive an Re-1 or if you are able to transfer to another service/branch in mid-enlistment as well.

Good luck.

Comment

Lol thanks make me feel worse than i already do for even considering it. I just wanted to know if it's an option, i really have no issue with the NG, my father retired after 20 years serving. I just really enjoyed the short time i had spent in the navy. Looking back i still think that it wasn't the right time for me to enlist, but if i could do it all over again i wouldn't change a single thing, it helped me become who i am today and gave me a deep respect for those in the armed services, i'm glad i even have a half of a chance to get back in. Who knows i may enjoy the guard more than the navy and decide to stay in. All i know is that when i get in i'm going to fight tooth and nail to stay in.

Comment

Oh also i forgot to add something since i'm on the topic, if i were to transfer mid term or reenlist to navy would i get to repick my job or would it have to be related to what i was doing in the NG?

Comment

My personal opinion is that obtaining a favorable discharge from the NG will not have a lot of influence with gaining entry back into the Navy. My thought is that when you're discharged from the NG you will be given an NGB-22 (I believe that is that correct document info), not a new DD-214, and the Navy will not put as much weight on this document as your RE-4 DD-214. I'm absolutely not trying to disrespect the NG as I have great respect for all military members, that's just my opinion on how it will be viewed. You should check with a Navy recruiter before pursuing any avenue outside the Navy to make sure you're not wasting your time thinking you'll get back there.

Comment

Originally posted by tfritz28 View Post
            My personal opinion is that obtaining a favorable discharge from the NG will not have a lot of influence with gaining entry back into the Navy. My thought is that when you're discharged from the NG you will be given an NGB-22 (I believe that is that correct document info), not a new DD-214, and the Navy will not put as much weight on this document as your RE-4 DD-214. I'm absolutely not trying to disrespect the NG as I have great respect for all military members, that's just my opinion on how it will be viewed. You should check with a Navy recruiter before pursuing any avenue outside the Navy to make sure you're not wasting your time thinking you'll get back there.
            You right on the discharge type.

The NGB-22 is the NG equivalent of the DD214. I used that document (had a RE-code of 1) when I went to the regular Army.

The recruiter cares about the code; not so much of what branch or component you are in. With your notion, a Reservists gets a DD214 so his service in the reserves weighs more than a Guardsman in the Guard because of that document?

Off-beat writing with my rhetorical question but I think it clearly makes the point.

Comment

I forgot to add that your other service documents will come into play when trying to re-join another service (meaning he will need that RE-4 DD214 when they establish your service times) but what counts is that last discharge document re-code that supercedes the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                You right on the discharge type.

The NGB-22 is the NG equivalent of the DD214. I used that document (had a RE-code of 1) when I went to the regular Army.

The recruiter cares about the code; not so much of what branch or component you are in. With your notion, a Reservists gets a DD214 so his service in the reserves weighs more than a Guardsman in the Guard because of that document?

Off-beat writing with my rhetorical question but I think it clearly makes the point.
                I'm in no way saying that a DD-214 should hold more weight than an NGB-22, or that any component whether active, reserve or guard should be any different either. However, I'm also previous Navy with an RE-4 and considered joining the guard to get my situation corrected so that I could re-join the Navy and was told by Navy recruiters that the NGB-22 from the Guard would probably not help with me getting back to the Navy. That was just my personal experience with the particular recruiter that I talked with a couple years ago. I was just trying to say that if the only reason he's considering the Guard is to get back to the Navy, he should make sure it's going to work before investing his time.

Comment

I understand. But I have to say that the other services are more stringent with prior-service recruiting overall than the Army and its reserve components.

Comment

I have not read the entire thread. But if you ever did try to reenter the Navy they would consider ALL periods of service. An RE4 thus remains an RE4.

The Army is soo much more HOOAH!!!

Once you go Green, you'd never want to go back.

I'm telling you from experience. The Army leads the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      I have not read the entire thread. But if you ever did try to reenter the Navy they would consider ALL periods of service. An RE4 thus remains an RE4.

The Army is soo much more HOOAH!!!

Once you go Green, you'd never want to go back.

I'm telling you from experience. The Army leads the way.
                      i could of sworn it was xbox leads the way.. nfl or something to that effect i dont know lol rangers? something time to see what the official word is on wikipedia hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
                        i could of sworn it was xbox leads the way.. nfl or something to that effect i dont know lol rangers? something time to see what the official word is on wikipedia hahaha
                        What??????

Comment

i was trying to play off off chaplain's army leads the way when you look on here you'll see chaplain loves to crack jokes.

Comment

There is a standing regulation that all RE-4 discharges from any branch of the military CANNOT enlist into the ARNG. This person will have to request a DD214 upgrade before attempting to enlist into the ARNG. He is a NO GO at this station. I do have some good news. I'm working with a former USN enlistee who just had his "Other Than Honorable" DD214 upgraded to "HONORABLE". It had only took him one year. The Navy Records Board is who he needs to make his request to.
                            Last edited by SSG_CONLEY; December 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Well here is what I know. I am looking into joining the gaurd and have an re 4 from the Marines. Now if I can get into the Gaurd and serve a full term of service I can join the army, navy, (I'm to old for the chair, I mean air force) however nothing says the Marines would take me back and not hold on to the re 4 they gave me. I have no plans of going back, but if I wanted to and had a new shiny re 1 would'nt mean anything. I want to advance myself in healthcare and those I've talked to say the gaurd is good way to do it. okay rambling now. best of luck and god bless america.

Comment

Working...
                              X