• Reentry Code Question, please decipher this

On my DD-214 states
    block 23: Release from Active Duty
    block 24:Character of Service: Honorable
    block 25 says: AR 635-200, PARA 5-16
    block 26: Separation code: MCF
    block 27: Reentry code 3
    block 28: Narrative reason for Separation: ATTEND SCHOOL

Why do I get a Reenlistment code 3 for this? I served a four year contract, returned from a deployment and rather than doing my 90 day physical and sitting around I did the early release program for school so I could make my semester. I was in no way informed this was a negative thing. Also my DD-214 says 3 years 6 months, when I did 3 years 9 months if you count the 90 days early for school.

Do I need to appeal to have this changed?

Thank you in Advance

Re: Reentry Code Question, please decipher this

Have you spoken with a recruiter to see if you can get back in?

Comment

Yes sir, they said it requires a waiver, but my question is why am I in the category of RE-3. Is this normal?

Comment

Probably, it's probably not an issue though. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comment

I would like to find out if it is a normal code for my situation. RE-3 is for " Individuals who are not qualified for continued Army service, but the disqualification is waiverable. Ineligible for enlistment unless a waiver is granted." While it might not seem like a big issue, it personally bothers me. Thanks

Comment

Why didn't you bring this up when you signed your 214?

Comment

Ssg, at the time I had no idea what a reenlistment code even was. Everything else, to my knowledge, on my DD-214 is correct other than that. Only recently when I looked at going back in the military did I find out I needed a waiver and this came to my attention. I out-processed from the Army by myself and did not have anyone to guide me through the process. I will make no excuses other than the fact that I did not know. Hind sight is 20/20 I am just looking to get this fixed. Anything you can tell me will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by romanoga View Post
                On my DD-214 states
                block 23: Release from Active Duty
                block 24:Character of Service: Honorable
                block 25 says: AR 635-200, PARA 5-16
                block 26: Separation code: MCF
                block 27: Reentry code 3
                block 28: Narrative reason for Separation: ATTEND SCHOOL

Why do I get a Reenlistment code 3 for this? I served a four year contract, returned from a deployment and rather than doing my 90 day physical and sitting around I did the early release program for school so I could make my semester. I was in no way informed this was a negative thing. Also my DD-214 says 3 years 6 months, when I did 3 years 9 months if you count the 90 days early for school.

Do I need to appeal to have this changed?

Thank you in Advance
                And you didnt have to sign a form understanding why you were getting this code? They didnt tell you the repercussions for exiting out of your contract? Did you have 90 days of leave on the books to take terminal leave?

Did you get article 15s along the way? Or any other adverse administrative action? Years ago, I knew two sergeants (E5s) that beat stop-loss to go to school. I wonder what their dd-214s codes are.

Comment

No, I did not have to sign anything saying I was getting a code. I never had an article 15, I have on my DD-214 the Good Conduct Medal for my time in service. I did have 90 of leave on the books. The program is called Early Separation to Further Education. I wan't getting out of anything. I was even jumping out of airplanes the week before I ETS'd, and can prove it on my jump log. If you look at the AR 635-200, Paragraph 5-16 it states that:

5–16. Early separation to further education
                  Soldiers may be discharged or released from active duty for the convenience of the Government, up to 90 days before ETS, in order to attend a specific term at college, university, vocational school, or technical school.
                  a. Soldiers serving initial enlistments of less than 3 years, members of the ARNGUS or USAR serving on ADT, and former senior ROTC cadets ordered to active duty because of breaches of contract are ineligible for separation under this paragraph.
                  b. To qualify for early separation, eligible Soldiers must— (1) Not be mission essential to their assigned organizations, as determined by commanders concerned. (2) Clearly establish that the specific school term for which they seek early separation is academically the most
                  opportune time for them to begin or resume their education, and that delay of school enrollment until normal ETS would cause undue personal hardship.
                  (3) Provide a statement from an appropriate school official (for example, a registrar or director of admissions) indicating acceptance for enrollment (without qualification or in a probationary status) in a full-time resident course of instruction. The statement must also reflect that the latest acceptable registration date for the school term falls within the 90–day period preceding the Soldier’s ETS.
                  (4) Show that they are able to pay, or have already paid, school entry fees.
                  c. The college or university must offer courses of instruction leading to an associate, baccalaureate, or higher degree and must be approved by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. The vocational or technical school must offer a course of instruction of no less than 3 months’ duration and must be approved by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
                  d. The effective date of early separation under this paragraph normally will not be earlier than 10 days prior to the date classes convene, except when Soldiers may be separated up to 30 days prior to the date classes convene if evidence is submitted that the 10-day period is clearly insufficient. This is not intended as authority to permit separation a full 30 days prior to class starting date in every case but to provide a reasonable latitude in justifiable cases to authorize separation on a date that will give the Soldier adequate time to register and enter the school on time. Examples include Soldiers returning from overseas and those who must move their families to the school location.
                  e. Accrued leave will be used to the maximum extent possible, as transition leave, in conjunction with early separation under this paragraph.
                  f. For characterization of service, see paragraph 5–1.
                  g. Commanders specified in paragraph 1–19 are authorized to order separation under this paragraph. The criteria in chapter 1, section VII, will govern whether Soldiers will be released from AD with transfer to the IRR, or discharged. h. Combining this paragraph with other early release programs to effect separation more than 90 days before ETS is
                  not authorized.

Comment

What I interpreted at the time is that I just came in from a deployment, and either I sat around or I started school and better myself faster. Most guys ACAP for 90 days and can't even PT after the physical. I went direct to college, left the Army in Georgia on a Friday and was at school on Monday in New York. If there are any moderators I will send them a copy of my DD-214, I promise I am not making this up.
                    Last edited by romanoga; December 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by romanoga View Post
                      What I interpreted at the time is that I just came in from a deployment, and either I sat around or I started school and better myself faster. Most guys ACAP for 90 days and can't even PT after the physical. I went direct to college, left the Army in Georgia on a Friday and was at school on Monday in New York. If there are any moderators I will send them a copy of my DD-214, I promise I am not making this up.
                      Are you currently in the IRR?

Comment

No my IRR time finished this past summer, and I was mailed my Honorable discharge certificate to further prove I did nothing wrong.

Comment

Here is a good site to look at http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/

Are you in the IRR?

Comment

Not in the IRR anymore, Thanks for the site. I guess ultimately it doesn't matter I can get a waiver and anyone that looks at my paperwork will understand I did nothing wrong. I will still work on having it changed for peace of mind. I might try to send it all in when I get home and see what they can conclude.

Comment

The RE3 code generally means that a Soldier has a situation or condition (not due to misconduct) that affected or prompted his discharge. The regulation requires a waiver to demonstrate that your situation or condition has changed, and no longer affects your ability to serve. Don't take this RE code as a personal insult.

Comment

Working...
                              X