X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASVAB Scores

The differences between National Guard and Reserves are astounding when I listen to the recruiters of each. I'm looking at signing up for one or the other also looking at going Warrant Officer. I last served active duty in 05/05/97 and have an Air Force re-enlistment code of 1J. The whole Warrant Officer deal is a story in and of itself I may discuss after I see how it all plays out.

My issue right now is the ASVAB. The reserve recruiter points to AR 601-210 (3-6b). Chapter 3 is for Prior Enlisted and paragraph 6(b) says:
    b. All applicants must have ASVAB scores to enlist. ASVAB results (most recent) obtained from Defense Manpower
    Data Center (DMDC) may be used regardless of test date, provided all line scores are present.

I scored very well when I took the test last with a raw score of 84 and a GT score of 121 which is plenty for warrant officer. The Reserve recruiter is telling me not to retake as since the new score will wipe out my old score which makes me eligible for what I want plus tons more and if I screw up on a retake I could loose all that eligibility.

The guard recruiter on the other hand says I have to retake the ASVAB. He says it is in NGR 600-200, but I can't figure out where. I can't believe a difference like this would exist between the two, but just want to figure out if I am being told correctly? Does anyone know the regulation the National Guard uses and where it is in it? I don't want to take a test for one and risk loosing my eligibility in the other.

Re: ASVAB Scores

Here is a link to NGR 600-200, http://www.ngbpdc.ngb.army.mil/pubs/600/ngr600_200.pdf .

Comment

Hi SilverFox,

Sorry to hear that you are getting two different answers. I found this in the [ARNG FY07 ECM] if you would like to use it as a reference when determining if you eligibility for the Army National Guard. I am sure it will help clear up any confusion you had.

(3) Applicants on a conditional release from any service without verifiable test scores, and PS applicants from any U.S.
      Armed Force with a break in service of more than 10 years from their last discharge, must be re-tested with the ASVAB and
      attain the qualifying score for the MOS in which they will be enlisted per DA PAM 611-21. Applicants that can provide
      documentation that they are qualified in the enlistment MOS may enlist regardless of scores on ASVAB, but must still complete
      the test prior to enlistment to establish record scores.
      b. Applicants will qualify for exemption of aptitude criteria if they have been awarded the Medal of Honor, Distinguished
      Service Cross, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, or Silver Star Medal, or are partially disabled combat-wounded veterans with fewer
      than 20 years of active military service or active Federal service.
      c. When a PS applicant is required or requests to be re-tested, the new scores become official scores for all purposes
      including enlistment, as of that date, regardless of the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Fox View Post
        The differences between National Guard and Reserves are astounding when I listen to the recruiters of each. I'm looking at signing up for one or the other also looking at going Warrant Officer. I last served active duty in 05/05/97 and have an Air Force re-enlistment code of 1J. The whole Warrant Officer deal is a story in and of itself I may discuss after I see how it all plays out.

My issue right now is the ASVAB. The reserve recruiter points to AR 601-210 (3-6b). Chapter 3 is for Prior Enlisted and paragraph 6(b) says:
        b. All applicants must have ASVAB scores to enlist. ASVAB results (most recent) obtained from Defense Manpower
        Data Center (DMDC) may be used regardless of test date, provided all line scores are present.

I scored very well when I took the test last with a raw score of 84 and a GT score of 121 which is plenty for warrant officer. The Reserve recruiter is telling me not to retake as since the new score will wipe out my old score which makes me eligible for what I want plus tons more and if I screw up on a retake I could loose all that eligibility.

The guard recruiter on the other hand says I have to retake the ASVAB. He says it is in NGR 600-200, but I can't figure out where. I can't believe a difference like this would exist between the two, but just want to figure out if I am being told correctly? Does anyone know the regulation the National Guard uses and where it is in it? I don't want to take a test for one and risk loosing my eligibility in the other.
        National Guard uses the ECM(Enlisted Criteria Manual), heres an excerpt pertaining to your situation

Qualifications for Prior Service
        ECM Para 2-17a(7)
        Applicants with a break in service of over 10 years must be re-tested with the ASVAB and attain the qualifying score for
        the MOS in which they will be enlisted per DA PAM 611-21.
        Looks like your taking it again

It does go on to say
        Applicants that can provide documentation that they are qualified in
        the enlistment MOS may enlist regardless of scores on ASVAB, but must still complete the test prior to enlistment to establish
        record scores.
        So if you wanted to enlist in the same job you had previously then it wouldn't matter what scores you got on the second time, but it would matter if you were trying to go warrant or something else.

Comment

Thank you RSP NCO. I found the Army National Guard Enlistment manual ( http://tubberville.com/FY07ECM.pdf )and the paragraph you mention. I also discussed this with both the local National Guard Recruiter and Active/Reserve Recruiter. According to the NG ECM to join the National Guard I will have to retake the ASVAB. That manual also is only applicable to enlistment in the National Guard. With that said AR 601-210 would be the reg used for entering the Army Reserve. Per that reg the scores on my REDD report from 1991 are still good for reserve and active army enlistment since I am prior service.

Comment

I won't disparage another branch, but I will tell you my experience. I spent 8 years in the Army Reserve, had a break in service, and decided to come back in. The guard and reserve offered the same MOS, same rank, everything else was equal. But, the reserves offered me a $10,000 bonus, and the guard offered nothing.

I joined the guard. 'Nuf said?

Comment

Working...
            X