X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to serve again

Hello, I have been lurking on these boards for quite some time now and believe it is time to serve again. I am a 6 year veteran of the Pa air national guard. I did my initial 6 years and then decided to not re enlist due to moving to the Washington dc area and my unit was back in Pittsburgh and the drive was to long after a week of work. I was in the process of joining the MD guard last year under the OCS enlistment option but my wife informed me that she was pregnant with our first child and decided it was not the right time to re enlist. Now that the baby is here and life is getting back to normal I believe it is as best time as any to re join. A little information about me. I am a college graduate with a 4 year degree in IT, have multiple Cisco networking certs to include a CCNA, CCNA security, and CCNA voice, as well as seven years as a IT government contractor. I currently hold a TS/SCI CI polygraph security clearance as well. After doing some research I found the MOS 250N, which is a warrant officer MOS, that seems very appealing to me. I am open to units in the Md, Va, or DC area. I am looking to get back in and serve again more than anything and I joined the Pa Air guard for the wrong reasons and found out that the AF was not the branch of service for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much everyone in advance.

Re: Looking to serve again

I'm in the Virginia Army National Guard. If you're interested in re-enlisting I may be able to point you in the right direction and a decent recruiter.

Your RE (re-entry) code is important in getting you back in. If it was just a matter of you got out b/c the end of your enlistment, then it should be too easy.

Comment

Can anyone tell me when the National Guard will take RE-4's from other branches again? I know we have seen posts on this especially from chaplain4me. But, I have heard that the new fiscl year, the Guard normally changes stuff etc....I know they are still over-manned etc,...but do I actually have to wait until we (US) go to war with say Iran or North Korea to have the Guard lower their standards again and accept RE-4's from the Navy? If I am wasting my time or in a dream world if you will, please let me know, so I can stop thinking about maybe getting a chance to serve again! I am Prior Navy 6 years, got into trouble in last year of enlistment, given General under Honorable Conditions with RE-4 15 years ago. Since then, have been a great person, basically a ******** school boy (lol) and have College Degree. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by xmp View Post
        Can anyone tell me when the National Guard will take RE-4's from other branches again?
        Definitively, no.

Comment

Very True. I've never heard of the Guard EVER taking RE-4's.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            Definitively, no.
            we take RE-4s from other branches......................................

Comment

Originally posted by andrew.tischner View Post
              we take RE-4s from other branches......................................
              My response was with regards to predicting the future.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am sorry I have not logged in for a few days but a little update. I spoke with a WO3 pertaining what needs to happen for me to join and I am being told that since I have a break in service I would need to go to army basic training due to WTC no longer being a option. I have been doing some research on this, mainly from http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...enlmos_af.html, and from what I understand if I were to go and enlist again at my old unit, then apply to become a WO in the army guard, I would not have to repeat basic training? If having to go through basic training again is what stands in my way then it is something that has to be done, but my wife and I have just had a child and I am trying to limit time away from home until I get deployed. I also am curious on how the Army is going to treat a E-5 from the Air Guard opposed from a IET soldier. Just looking for some answers and some good contacts to get this ball rolling. One last question, is information technology something that no one in the army or army guard wants to do? There are three WO MOS's on the site that I provided above that require no feeder enlisted MOS. I thought being a WO means that you were a technical expert, how can an E-5 from another MOS become a technical expert in IT when they have never done it before? Also are the Army/Army Guard hard pressed for signal WOs? I actually hope they are, it would help my chance greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by flanker6 View Post
                  I thought being a WO means that you were a technical expert, how can an E-5 from another MOS become a technical expert in IT when they have never done it before?
                  You still have to have the skills for it, you just dont need the feeder MOS. For example, under 251A it states as one of the prerequisites:
                  Four years of documented practical experience in information systems administration, Army Battle Command System (ABCS) administration, Local Area Network (LAN) administration, and/or Information Assurance/Computer Network Defense (IA/CND).

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    You still have to have the skills for it, you just dont need the feeder MOS. For example, under 251A it states as one of the prerequisites:
                    Many of our 25-series WOCs gain their technical background from their civilian schooling and experience.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's everyone. As a update to my situation, I have been speaking with multiple recruiters both from the National Guard as well as the Army Reserves exploring my opportunities. In Maryland as well as Virginia. Basically all roads lead me to going through Army BCT as a E-5, which is fine, I just consider it a small thing for a lifetime of pride. So I am basically attempting to gain a slot in a Signal unit as a 250N Warrant Officer because of my civilian career and education. One recruiter is explaining to me that since WTC is now over, it is up to the unit to schedule me for BCT. His plan to circumvent this is to shop me around to signal units with my resume, letters of recommendation from past commanding officers, and civilian/military transcripts to gain me a seat into WOCS prior to my BCT date. I guess he is trying to get me through WOCS then I will not have to attend BCT? Can anyone comment on this as I am not up to speed as to how this could impact me in a negative aspect for my future career. All I am trying to accomplish here is to serve my country again, pass IT networking knowledge on to younger soldiers and assist them in expanding their knowledge, and make a difference as the go to guy in a unit and thus improving the Army and feel like my service made a difference. Thanks for the time, just trying to get the skinny before I make a mistake because someone is trying to fill their quota.

Comment

Originally posted by flanker6 View Post
                        One recruiter is explaining to me that since WTC is now over
                        Wait, what? Is that just for your state or is this something wider-reaching? Sorry to go slightly off-topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
                          Wait, what? Is that just for your state or is this something wider-reaching? Sorry to go slightly off-topic.
                          Yup, WTC is gone. Why the military wants to pay much more to send good prior servicemen to bootcamp again is beyond me since it sounds ultimately more expensive.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm, BCT, sounds fun.........

Comment

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
                              Yep, I'm just waiting for my ship date to BCT. I was finally able to re-enlist a month before the last WTC formed up, but there were no openings for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X