X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should I wait

I am prior service for the Army. I got out in 2007 and have been working on getting into the Army National Guard for the last 6 or 7 months. It seems to be one thing after another. Here is a break down of my speed bumps.

March 2010 to pres-Call recruiter-he comes and does my packet-I have everything in order and give him copies of DD214, medical papers, letter from doctor and so on. MEPS says no they will not do a physical so we take a different route. We go to the state surgeon General and he says they will do physical. Had to get a waiver for a physical from the unit I want to go to. Got that and finally went up in August for my physical. I was told it should only be a few weeks and I would be in. MEPS doctor cleared me and said I was good to go. Now here is the fun part. My recruiter went off of active guard duty and my stuff was shifted to a different one. My new one calls and said NGB can't read my DD214 and they need another copy. So I send that to the recruiter right away. About a week later he calls and says the NGB needs my ortho paperwork from my doctor. So I get that sent right away. Now here I am still waiting to get in. I went down to the unit I will someday be in and kindly talked to them. I asked them if I could get a copy of a drill schedule so my husband can plan his vacation around drill times. I feel like I am never going to get in. I am a full time college student and our next semester registration is coming up in 13 days. I don't want to register and then have to drop classes. Annual training is in april which is in the middle of my semester. I still need to go and do my reclass once I get in so that will happen during next semester. I am almost to the point of saying NO!!!!! But this is what I want and I don't want to give up. I just wish I could get some darn answers. But when your recruiter is over an hour away that is kind of hard.

Re: How long should I wait

I feel your pain.

I was accepted into a Physician Assistant program in January and found out about the "suspended" ASR program in February. Early March, I contacted an AMEDD recruiter.

I am also prior service.

I completed all of the requested paperwork and submitted "every" document they requested on May 1st and my physical and Degree completion documentation was received on June 1st.

I contacted them every week from June to September to see how my package was proceeding. It took then two weeks from June 1st to "load" my package. Every week they said they were working on it (not sure what that means).

When I asked them at the beginning of September what was taking so long, they sent me a "package time-line" showing it could take up to 6 months to complete the process after you contact a recruiter. After that, it seemed like every week they needed either a better copy of a document, a document that they could not find (which I just resent them), a form they forgot to have me fill out, or repeat a drug screen that they could not find from my May physical.

I stayed on top of them weekly until I finally received my direct commission at the end of September.

If you want it keep trying.
    Last edited by GaEMTDiver; December 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: time line errors

Comment

I can relate! I have been in the process of submitting paper-work for a clinical social work position. It can be very disheartening. But weigh the options and choose the one that is of the greatest benefit. Good luck

Comment

First post parade!

Keep at it. If you really want it, you'll get in.
        What rank are you coming in as? What MOS? Infact, what unit if you don't mind sharing that information?

Comment

Working...
        X