X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service Marine

Welp, I did a 6x2 in USMC resereve. Got out in 2000, now want to get back into reserves. Too old (40)for the Marines says the prior service recruiter. So now I have filled out the "packet" as prescribed by the local NG recruiter.
    Waiting on seperation papers from HQ USMC, DD214 perhaps and some other papers. Hope this dont take forever.
    Do Marine reservist even get a DD214 after fulfilling contract?
    All I ever got was a certificate that says honorable discharge with name etc on it.

Anyone on here in the units from Huntsville, AL?

Re: Prior Service Marine

The DD214 covers periods of active service, which you won't get for your discharge from the USMCR. You must have some sort of discharge document, but I have no idea what it would be called in USMC/USN language. It may even be just a memorandum, with a statement of service.

Comment

thanks for the input, I'm gonna carry my Honorable Discharge Cert. to the NG recruiter and maybe he can check into it further so I can get the ball rolling.

Comment

for those of us in the army, we have AKO (army knowledge online), i'm not sure what the marines have, but in there you can access your IPERMS which has all your paperwork throughout your career (pcs orders, awards, etc). don't you guys have something setup similar? we didn't used to need our cac card to gain access but now we do. well in the IPERMS (or whatever the marines call theirs) you should be able to download/view your discharge paperwork.

Comment

I was a Marine reservist for some time and left there to enter the IRR. In my case, I never received one slip of paper from the Marines at that point.

When I signed up for the guard, my recruiter was able to pull my REDD (help me out recruiters) form, which documented my periods of service in both AD and reserve. This seemed to be the one conclusive document that would satisfy the guard in determining my TIG.

If you are close to your former reserve unit, check in with your S1 there to see if you can roll up your paperwork from that end. They had to send it somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by seangworld View Post
            for those of us in the army, we have AKO (army knowledge online), i'm not sure what the marines have, but in there you can access your IPERMS which has all your paperwork throughout your career (pcs orders, awards, etc). don't you guys have something setup similar? we didn't used to need our cac card to gain access but now we do. well in the IPERMS (or whatever the marines call theirs) you should be able to download/view your discharge paperwork.
            It's called MOL (Marine OnLine), and there isn't really anything like IPERMS in it. The data is in there, but not actual scanned documents like in IPERMS. I needed a combination of my BIR, BTR, REDD, and a few other sources.

Comment

update 11 Oct.
              I received a letter from USMCHQ basically stating that a DD214 was not given to reservist. In the same letter it also stated that my DD214 was illegible and they had a unit that will "rebuild" it.
              The letter also states my time of service and seperation date as well as my re-enlistment code.
              On another note, I do have the REDD report. The NG recruiter pulled me up in the "system" at his office.
              Gonna give him a call this week and see if this letter is accecptable. I know policy is policy but, I have all my promotion warrants, Honorable Discharge certificate, a couple of old pay stubs, the letter I mentioned as well as the REDD report.
              Not sure what the form will say that will further confirm who I say I am or how and where I served?
              will advise ....standby to standby

note to 0844, that was my MOS also... good ole FDC
              Last edited by akins; October 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

I'm not in a unit in Huntsville, but I live here, along with a couple other guys from my unit. We drill with a FA unit in Greenville (~4 hr drive). I don't know if you're set on a particular unit, but if you wanna stay FA, we could use you. We can work out a carpool.

Comment

to lance13d, will keep that in mind. I gotta get my paperwork done and get to meps, then I can work on that problem. Not sure I would want to do FA again, especially FDC. It can get hairy and stressful at times as you already know. shoot move, shoot move, etc.

Comment

Yeah, but in the NG, we pretty much stay at a firing point when doing live fire. We have M777A1s, but don't really do shoot and scoot for training. It's an option, though, and we're looking for FDC as well as string pullers.

Comment

Originally posted by akins View Post
                      to lance13d, will keep that in mind. I gotta get my paperwork done and get to meps, then I can work on that problem. Not sure I would want to do FA again, especially FDC. It can get hairy and stressful at times as you already know. shoot move, shoot move, etc.
                      What could possibly be more fun than emplacing, throwing up the OE-254's and cammie nets, setting up the AFATDS and charts and darts, and establishing full fire mission capability just to have to pack it all up, roll out, and do it again somewhere else?

Seriously, though, next time I see a tabular firing table, I'm going to puke, lol.

Comment

spoke with NG recruiter earlier this week. he said that MEPS will not accept anything but a 214. so I calle HQ again today and ask them to send the copy they have illegible or not.
                        the lady I spoke with said it could take months for them to reconsruct a 214...wth? this is killin me. im gonna pack up all the following once I get that 214 in hand.
                        she also said that MEPS could contact them directly and they could give verify my info.
                        214, promotion warrants, honorable discharge cert., b.cert., ss card, d. lic., marriage lic., HS diploma, kids bc and anything else I can find that looks important.

any thoughts or help?

Comment

You may wish to raise this issue with your Recruiter, and ask him to involve his NCOIC. I find it hard to believe that you're the very first Marine Corps Reservist in history who has tried to get back in service. The MEPS folks can sometimes lack perspective or awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                            You may wish to raise this issue with your Recruiter, and ask him to involve his NCOIC. I find it hard to believe that you're the very first Marine Corps Reservist in history who has tried to get back in service. The MEPS folks can sometimes lack perspective or awareness.
                            rgr that, I will do just that once I have my trash together. I understand business is good for recruiters right now and they don't want to be bothered with a PS Marine. hurry up and wait...
                            Last edited by akins; October 18th, 2010, 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

all I can say is WOW! still no 214 in the mail. Called HQ today and ask what status was. Lady put me on hold for a while, said she wasn't sure and would have to call me back. She also said it could take a while to re-construct, which I replied "that is what you said a couple of months ago". what gives? I guess I have a new hobby, calling them every other day till they get me hooked up.

Comment

Working...
                              X