X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Infantry

I am a prior service Marine and I have been out since 2001. I am planning on joinging the NG in VA and I have been looking at Infantry and Cav. units. I am looking for something close to Richmond. I have talked to a recruiter but would like an inside scoop on which units are best.

I have an organization chart that tells me which units are where, however, I dont know what some of the abbreviations mean. for instance, one of the infantry units I'm looking at is CSC/3-116th Infantry in Fredricksburg......however, I dont know what it really means....dont want to join some support unit or be a desk jockey for the infantry.

Any info on Infantry units near Richmond and the 183rd CAV would be great. Thanks in advance!

Re: Virginia Infantry

You may be able to call the unit and ask to speak with some of the full time guys there. They could give you an idea of what you'd be doing.

Comment

Your recruiter can steer you to a true Infantry rifle company. Your closest unit is in Charlottesville.

If you'd prefer, I can take you in my Engineer battalion in Powhatan, Petersburg, or West Point as a Combat Engineer (like an Infantryman who can do simple math, and with a shovel).

Comment

if traveling isn't a problem, A co 116th (bedford, va) and HHC 116th (lynchburg) has scouts. Both great companies and BTN is squared away. They just got back from deployment from Iraq last week

Comment

and for Cav, those units are just a couple hours down the road in Hampton Roads.

Comment

What is the Infantry co. in Fredricksburg? Is it support or not a true rifle company? I know I can call my recruiter and get all these answers but, I just wanted to see if there was someone in these units that could REALLY tell me about them. I appreciate any feedback! I see that there are 4 companies of Cav. in the Hampton Roads area but which is which and what is the difference?

Bedford and Lynchburg is just a little to far, 4+ hr drive for me, but thanks for the info.

Comment

Good luck with the infantry!

Comment

Infantry Hooah.
                Last edited by davidvonyork; September 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joker2001
                  What is the Infantry co. in Fredricksburg? Is it support or not a true rifle company?
                  That's Delta Company, 3-116 Infantry. It's a real rifle company.

Be careful that you don't get into the unit down the hall, the HHC of the BSTB. They have a few Infantryman positions, but it's not a rifle company by any means.

Comment

HHC 29th ID are always looking for 11B to drive the General and CoS around!

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                      That's Delta Company, 3-116 Infantry. It's a real rifle company.

Be careful that you don't get into the unit down the hall, the HHC of the BSTB. They have a few Infantryman positions, but it's not a rifle company by any means.
                      I've got a glorious position with HHC/BSTB. This last AT we did a lot of "grunt stuff", but that's not always the case.

That being said, the people I'm with make it, and it's fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X