X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paths to SF for priors?

I'm currently a LT in the Navy IRR, no prior SF training. I'm an officer, so my DD214 says NA for the re-enlistment code.

I want to enlist to get into SF. I contacted NG.com to get directed to an SF recruiter. I talked to that person who was in 20th Group located in Roanoke Falls, NC. He said the North Carolina NG was currently on an enlistment hold, but to call an NG recruiter and see what they said.

Is the path for priors to get to SF: get in the NG, and then apply to SF through your NG unit? Is there something that I could get placed in an enlistment contract to make sure I have a group tryout and shot at SFAS? What other routes are there?

Re: Paths to SF for priors?

Originally posted by jason burnes
    I'm currently a LT in the Navy IRR, no prior SF training. I'm an officer, so my DD214 says NA for the re-enlistment code.

I want to enlist to get into SF. I contacted NG.com to get directed to an SF recruiter. I talked to that person who was in 20th Group located in Roanoke Falls, NC. He said the North Carolina NG was currently on an enlistment hold, but to call an NG recruiter and see what they said.

Is the path for priors to get to SF: get in the NG, and then apply to SF through your NG unit? Is there something that I could get placed in an enlistment contract to make sure I have a group tryout and shot at SFAS? What other routes are there?

There is an SF group here in California. The path into the unit is similar to what you described.

1. Join the National Guard
    2. Get two years experience in a combat arms MOS (combat arms branch for Officers) ie. Infantry, Field Artillery, MI.
    3. Apply to the SF unit
    4. Pass the SFRE

Comment

Or you could go in as enlisted and get the 11X (i believe?) contract, which guarantees a slot in the pipline to try out for SF...

If you fail, they'll make you an 11B/C depending on what they need.

Comment

What is most important to you? If serving in SF is your primary goal, then the path that maximizes your chances is to enlist with the 18X contract (which puts SF training in writing). If your officer commission is most important to you, then you find yourself at a tremendous disadvantage trying to get into SF. First, they don't need many officers. Second, you already have a number of years of service which has not provided the best preparation for SF service. Third, you're Navy, and hence all the prejudices associated therewith.

Comment

You can usually get invited to tryouts before enlisting again. I am prior service and I was invited to tryouts in Redwood City, CA for the SF unit there.

You try out as a civilian, if you pass the tryouts they can work with you in the unit internally to get you enlisted and into their unit. That is how it was described to me by them anyways.

Comment

Working...
          X