Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing to Active Duty Army while under Title 10 orders?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to Active Duty Army while under Title 10 orders?

Is it still possible to change to the Active Duty Army while under Title 10 orders?

I am asking this because I currently in the Guard and want go Active after my upcoming deployment later this year.

Re: Changing to Active Duty Army while under Title 10 orders?

Originally posted by mlmiller1983
    Is it still possible to change to the Active Duty Army while under Title 10 orders?

I am asking this because I currently in the Guard and want go Active after my upcoming deployment later this year.

have to get conditional release from the ARNG to join AD Army if thats your choice, start working up the chain to get started. It's never 100% guarenteed you can do it. Depends on strength / needs of the NG since you at one time had the option to choose whichever branch that you wanted and chose to -->CONTRACT<-- with the ARNG.

- Why not just keep volunteering for deployments with the ARNG, finish your initial obligation
    - hmmm, just saw your currently under title 10, not 100% how that comes to play. My guess (not a recruiter / retention guy) as a solider, is that you have to wait til your title 10 orders are complete before you can do anything.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
      have to get conditional release from the ARNG to join AD Army if thats your choice, start working up the chain to get started. It's never 100% guarenteed you can do it. Depends on strength / needs of the NG since you at one time had the option to choose whichever branch that you wanted and chose to -->CONTRACT<-- with the ARNG.

- Why not just keep volunteering for deployments with the ARNG, finish your initial obligation
      - hmmm, just saw your currently under title 10, not 100% how that comes to play. My guess (not a recruiter / retention guy) as a solider, is that you have to wait til your title 10 orders are complete before you can do anything.

GOOD LUCK
      Thanks! I won't be on Title 10 until a a few months, I know it coming. My ETS date from the Guard is 11 July 2011 (4-6 months before we are to be back from deployment) but I am sure I will have to extend it. I wasn't planning on switching until after or during my deployment.
      Last edited by mlmiller1983; June 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

During deployment, almost positive you can't get yourself off established orders to get a conditional release to join another deployment with another branch of service. also, doesn't make sense since your trading one deployment for another. Also, since your unit is already in lane to be deployed, even more doubt that you'll get a release. AGAIN, i'm not a recruiter or retention guy, just talking about my experiences from being within Guard. GL

Comment

I can somewhat answer this question.

While we were at Camp Buehring, Kuwait back in December, I was looking into doing the same thing, so I visited the Retention NCO for the FOB. I was shown a memo that had come down not too long ago (at the time) that stated that to go active duty, You had to completely DEMOB, then go thru the process of submitting a 368 (conditional release) etc.. Every state has a different process, but the end say-so comes from your TAG. He has the final word on whether you go or dont go. For TXARNG, its a lengthy packet but worth it. For us, we have to submit a 368 60 days out from demob and it goes from there. I already got mine past BN and BDE, just playing the wait game now.

I hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmiranda_Cav
            I can somewhat answer this question.

While we were at Camp Buehring, Kuwait back in December, I was looking into doing the same thing, so I visited the Retention NCO for the FOB. I was shown a memo that had come down not too long ago (at the time) that stated that to go active duty, You had to completely DEMOB, then go thru the process of submitting a 368 (conditional release) etc.. Every state has a different process, but the end say-so comes from your TAG. He has the final word on whether you go or dont go. For TXARNG, its a lengthy packet but worth it. For us, we have to submit a 368 60 days out from demob and it goes from there. I already got mine past BN and BDE, just playing the wait game now.

I hope this helps some.
            Thanks for the info. My ETS date is next July (while deployed) and I don't know the length that I have to extend my contract. I might be in a good situation since I probably won't have that much longer in my contract, even with an extension, come demob next year.
            Last edited by mlmiller1983; June 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

If your ETS is next year, then just dont extend for any time beyond the deployment and then get out and enlist into AD.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                If your ETS is next year, then just dont extend for any time beyond the deployment and then get out and enlist into AD.
                Best advice I've heard in a long time. Research your options before you choose to ETS because with the economy the RA is over strength as well.

Your options may be limited or might have to reclass into a MOS that is at the "needs of the army". FYI cover your six!

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                  Thats the plan!!

Comment

Originally posted by mlmiller1983

1. Until a few months ago, it was possible to go straight from a Title 10 mobilization to the active component Army. The Army G1 has rescinded this policy, because it led to too many problems with individual Soldiers.
                    2. Now, a mobilized ARNG Soldier must demobilize with his unit before exercising a Conditional Release.
                    3. The Soldier may apply for the Conditional Release at any time, with the understanding that he must demobilize with his ARNG unit before he can process into the Active Component.
                    4. Getting the Conditional Release (Form DD368) is only the first step. That form releases you from your ARNG obligation in order to serve in the Active Component, It doesn't mean that the Active Component will take you. There are a hundred reasons why the Active Component might not want you, or might want you in an MOS you dislike, or at one lower paygrade. Look before you leap.
                    5. If you don't get into the AC for whatever reason, your ARNG obligation remains.
                    6. Depending on your contract, the day you enlist in the AC may be the day the Guard attaches your paycheck to recoup some or all of your bonus, tuition assistance, or loan repayment. Again, look before you leap.
                    7. Going to the Active Component is not the solution to all your life's problems. Your problems will follow you on active duty. Don't use an enlistment into the active Army as a way to avoid dealing with your personal issues back home, or as a way to get a full-time job. Those that join the Army as a job tend to make themselves and everyone around them miserable. The Army is far, far more than a job (both in good ways and in bad ways).

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                      1. Until a few months ago, it was possible to go straight from a Title 10 mobilization to the active component Army. The Army G1 has rescinded this policy, because it led to too many problems with individual Soldiers.
                      2. Now, a mobilized ARNG Soldier must demobilize with his unit before exercising a Conditional Release.
                      3. The Soldier may apply for the Conditional Release at any time, with the understanding that he must demobilize with his ARNG unit before he can process into the Active Component.
                      4. Getting the Conditional Release (Form DD368) is only the first step. That form releases you from your ARNG obligation in order to serve in the Active Component, It doesn't mean that the Active Component will take you. There are a hundred reasons why the Active Component might not want you, or might want you in an MOS you dislike, or at one lower paygrade. Look before you leap.
                      5. If you don't get into the AC for whatever reason, your ARNG obligation remains.
                      6. Depending on your contract, the day you enlist in the AC may be the day the Guard attaches your paycheck to recoup some or all of your bonus, tuition assistance, or loan repayment. Again, look before you leap.
                      7. Going to the Active Component is not the solution to all your life's problems. Your problems will follow you on active duty. Don't use an enlistment into the active Army as a way to avoid dealing with your personal issues back home, or as a way to get a full-time job. Those that join the Army as a job tend to make themselves and everyone around them miserable. The Army is far, far more than a job (both in good ways and in bad ways).
                      Thankyou Sir for the info, thats exactly what I wanted to know. Much appreciated!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X