Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Nurse

Hi,

I am a 2LT Active Duty in the Army Nurse Corps. I am trying to decide whether to stay Active or go guard after ADSO is completed. I want to go back to school for my Master's as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant. I would live in NJ and join the NJ Guard so I would be able to go to a state school for free, but was wondering if there were any other scholarships for master's in nursing or physician assistant studies? I want to go to school full-time and would need money for monthly living expenses. Also, would I be able to keep my rank as I would be a 1LT by then, and is there a need for nurses or PA's in the Guard?

Thanks in advance

Re: Active Duty Nurse

Welcome. I just enlisted as a medic in the ARNG and when I get back from AIT will finish nursing school. I would love to hear about your experience as an Army Nurse as I have to decide whether to go active or guard when I join ROTC in 2011. Pm me please.

Also if you go Guard you may look into getting a VA job, they have scholarships for nursing students and the Guard gives I believe a $10,000 bonus a year for BSNs according to this website.

Comment

Hi Randy tried to PM you, but it said you exceeded your quota and that you must clear your messages first.

Sorry.

Basically this is what I said, LOL:

Hi Randy,

I just started my Active Duty career. I am stationed at Fort Bragg and will head to BOLC in July and return back to Ft. Bragg and begin the residency program. I will keep you up to date with the process. So far so good, but I will let you know how the residency program goes for new nurses.

Comment

I cleared some space. Let me know how bloc goes. I didn't know the army did a residency for nurses, that is really awesome. In the civilian world it's typically sink or swim for new nurses. I wish you all the luck in the world.

You may be able to get the Guard to send you to np school, they have a program for it through one of the Universities of Nebraska stationed out of San Antonio and would pay you enough to live on while you go to school.

Comment

Yeah the Army Nurse Residency Program, but I think the name is being changed to Nurse Transition Program. You have a preceptor for 6 months and then you do rotations in different areas. After your first year of nurse if you are CONUS you have a Course Guarantee in which the Army offers you a 16 week course. The choices are Critical Care, Perioperative, Psych, and OB/Gyn. It's a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for the information about NP school I will definitely check this out as I am trying to figure out what my next steps will be after I complete my 3 years. I don't want to leave the Army, but I also don't want to stay a bedside nurse more than the 3 years. I want to be completed with all school by the time I am 30 to start a family afterwards. I am 24 so time is definitely ticking away.

Comment

IPAP, this is the Physician's Assistant program. Check it out, everybody says it is highly competitive and be prepared to not have a life for 2 years, but you're on active duty the entire time. I think they start a new cycle every summer, so you've got plenty of time to get your application together for next year.

Comment

Just realize nps can work independtly with just a md a phone call away in most states while pa's must always work under a doctor. If you want your own practice one day it may not be the best move, if not, good career choice.

Comment

I have very little knowledge of the medical field, but I do know that there has been a PA AGR spot advertised in MS for almost 3 months now, and every time the time frame expires it has been reposted.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                  I have very little knowledge of the medical field, but I do know that there has been a PA AGR spot advertised in MS for almost 3 months now, and every time the time frame expires it has been reposted.
                  A PA can earn 100K-200K per annum. Difficult to lure a season PA to a AGR position as an 03/04 unless there are major incentives and bonus'.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                    A PA can earn 100K-200K per annum. Difficult to lure a season PA to a AGR position as an 03/04 unless there are major incentives and bonus'.
                    Makes sense, guess that is why the initial posting was for an 02-04, but has been changed to an 01-04.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. I would like to work independently someday, but I also want to have a 20 year career at least in the military. I noticed that PA's are able to do more on the emergency medicine side of things while NP's are in the family practice clinics and on the floor of medical centers. This is just what I have observed in the Army. I am a female, but would love to be able to experience more combat injuries. I am a fast paced person, which is why I am looking into the PA career field. I would love to stay on the nursing side of things, but it doesn't seem as though the same opportunities are offered to NP's and PA's in the military like the civilian world. Has anyone else experienced anything different?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X