Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40% disabled tring to go Guard

Thanks, it at the med review board
    Last edited by Brian Jansen; May 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM.

Re: 40% disabled tring to go Guard

If you are getting VA payments, you don't really put them "on hold". You get a form from the VA every year that lists how many days you drilled, and they deduct those days from next year's monthly VA payments. But its days and not dollars.

For example, if you drilled a total of 60 days in a year, that equals two months....so the VA will withhold two months of VA checks next year.

Comment

Thank-You sir,
      Are you aware of many Guard members serving with disabilities at this level? It may be a pipe dream but I am hopefull........The skies are clear and you can see forever today here in Anchorage.....Brian

Comment

I've seen a few. The main point is that you must qualify under chapter 2 of the 40-501.

Comment

I am not certain about other States, but here in California we are not taking any person with over 30%.

Comment

Thanks again i checked chapter 2 of the 40-501 on line. I think I'm close...I guess alot of it is subjective? Within reason...I thank everyone for the responses.....Brian Jansen

Comment

What about prior service soldiers with a rating of 30% disability rating (10% back, and 10% for each knee) going active first through the guard?

Comment

im a disabled vet that just went into the guard. i was 40%, i called va and made an appointment with them and told them i wanted in the guard and to reduce my comp to 30. 2 weeks later i got a letter in the mail saying i was 30. i called my recruiter that day and joined. if you want back in bad enough you will make a sacrafice.

Comment

Originally posted by battlebuddyp
                  What about prior service soldiers with a rating of 30% disability rating (10% back, and 10% for each knee) going active first through the guard?
                  active 1st is for non-prior only, not prior

<>

Comment

what if you have a 30% disability rating from the VA for ptsd, can you still join the guard?

Comment

1. By regulation, no one receiving more than 30% VA disability may serve in the ARNG. As a previous post mentioned, you may consider asking the VA to lower your disability rating to 30% if it currently exceeds 30%. I have no idea what implications that has to your long-term situation, and I mention this only as a fact, not as a recommendation.

2. The underlying condition of your disability may itself disqualify you for service or certain MOS, no matter what the percentage rating is. Thus, we may find 30% disabled Soldiers currently serving, while disqualifying 20% disabled Soldiers with a different condition.

Comment

Thank you sir,

I just recently read Ar 40-501 and i think I will be able to join with the ptsd rating. I have contacted a recruiter and will have to submit a waiver, I just really hope it all works out.

Comment

I found the following quote from the Wisconsin National Guard State Benefits coordinator":

"In accordance with NGR 600-200, Table 2-1, an enlistee must not have more than a "30% disability" to meet enlistment criteria. NGR 600-200, table 2-1 clearly states that a 30% or greater Physical Exam Board rating is not waiverable. A PEB is a military service designation, not a VA disability rating. The two are very different items and are not interchangeable."

The quote can be found at http://dma.wi.gov/dma/retirees/brief...reat_Myths.pdf

As I understand it, the disability rating you have to worry about is the one the Army gave you, not the VA. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Working...
                          X