Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the minimum enlistment time?

So would prior service only include service in the army or would any branch work? Also would you be able to go to an army school and do the try one?

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver_Josh
      So would prior service only include service in the army or would any branch work? Also would you be able to go to an army school and do the try one?
      Yes to both. I'm a former Marine artilleryman (0844 ,field artillery fire direction controller). I enlisted under Try One as 25U, which is signal and COMPLETELY unrelated to what I did in the Marines. I am not only able to go to school to get MOS qualified, but I'm required to. In fact I'm on the "wait" list to go to school in 2 weeks.

Comment

So would prior service only include service in the army or would any branch work?
        Sigh....I answered this on this very page.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
          Sigh....I answered this on this very page.
          Maybe he is "special"? Clarification maybe needed......"Here's your sign"!

Comment

It is open to all branches. All branches with the exception of the Marine Corps are required to go through Warrior Transition course. http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...on/index.shtml
            If you are not MOSQ you will also have to attend an MOS school. If you are not MOSQ you are nondeployable, and not eligible for promotion. On a one year you are not eligible for some of the educational benefits like the GI Bill, and NG scholarships. I am on a one year contract currently, my enlistment is up AUG 25th, and my MOS school starts Aug 20th. In order to attend I will have to reenlist.

I did the one year for a number of reasons, after a thirteen year break in service I was not sure if I would like the guard or not. The prior service bonus went away while I was waiting on some MOS restrictions to go away, so I did a one year in hopes that reenlistment bonuses would come back. Turns out I love the Guard, I wish I would have enlisted sooner.

The best thing you could do if you are really interested is go talk to a local recruiter, every state is a little different, so you will get the best information from a recruiter in your area.

Comment

I'm on a one year enlistment right now, about 1/3 of the way through it, actually. I joined in March (posted a thread about it somewhere), lucked on an early school slot of MOS reclass, and was MOS-Q'd and consequently deployable, in less than three months.

Like an earlier poster, I took a one year enlistment primarily due to a long (10 years) break in service (prior USMC engineer), and I wanted to stick my toe in the water so to speak. Thankfully I got into a good unit that I am happy with, and am actively thinking about reenlisting early next year.

So yes, the one year tours still exist...at least they did in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk2029
                I'm on a one year enlistment right now, about 1/3 of the way through it, actually. I joined in March (posted a thread about it somewhere), lucked on an early school slot of MOS reclass, and was MOS-Q'd and consequently deployable, in less than three months.

Like an earlier poster, I took a one year enlistment primarily due to a long (10 years) break in service (prior USMC engineer), and I wanted to stick my toe in the water so to speak. Thankfully I got into a good unit that I am happy with, and am actively thinking about reenlisting early next year.

So yes, the one year tours still exist...at least they did in March.
                That's why.

Comment

This is correct...the (1-year) contract no longer exists. You'll have to do the minimum 2-year contract. Anything beyond 1-year doesn't make sense unless you're up for some sort of bonus, or if you're really close to retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    This is correct...the (1-year) contract no longer exists. You'll have to do the minimum 2-year contract. Anything beyond 1-year doesn't make sense unless you're up for some sort of bonus, or if you're really close to retirement.
                    I think the OP got his answer. Not sure why you are resurrecting a 3+ year old thread?

Comment

Working...
                    X