Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asvab score for prior service?

Hey Guys,

My friend is prior service and asked me a question. He scored a 48 on his asvab when he went active duty 6 years ago. He is considering joining the guard like I am but I told him the guard has a minimum score of 50 on the asvab. Is this true for prior service as well? He just got off IRR Feb of 2010. He is obviously MOS Q'd (11b) so the guard wouldnt spend money on him for schools. Thanks.
    Last edited by radius; March 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM.

Re: Asvab score for prior service?

what state are you in? Every state I've ever been too uses the same guidlines as active duty... The minimum ASVAB score is 21 or so, and that limits you to infantry. The higher you score, the more jobs that are open to you. He also has the ability to retake the test if he wants. hope this helps

Comment

Minimum use to be 31. But it has been raised to 50.

Comment

So the minimum is 50 even for prior service? I guess I can call a recruiter for the for sure answer. He is in TX by the way. Thanks for the quick responses.
        Last edited by radius; June 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
          Minimum use to be 31. But it has been raised to 50.
          I am in constant contact with my recruiter in my unit and the minimum ASVAB score is still 31 for certain jobs(such as 12L), but 50 for others(11E). To be infantry you must have a minimum score of 50, but with a waiver it can be as low as a 31. For prior service soldiers, they have no problem giving waivers. He shouldn't have any problems getting in the guard if he has a clean record.

Comment

No waiver needed. No minimum score. Must have qualifying line scores for the mos they are enlisting for.

Comment

Originally posted by james.wilson55
              No waiver needed. No minimum score. Must have qualifying line scores for the mos they are enlisting for.
              Good deal! Thanks for everyones replies! Cant wait to get back in! We both are missing it bad.

Hooah!

Comment

Originally posted by james.wilson55

Hey James-
                I scored 46 on ASVAB and was still told by my recruiter in Texas that can not give waivers for ASVAB score and I still needed to score 50 or above to get in the National Guard. I dont know what to beleive anymore, seems like the recruiter tells me what I want to hear. Not bashing other recruiters, I was just one of the lucky ones, and got a pos for a recruiter I guess.

Comment

I was prior Navy, has scored a 33 on ASVAB. Went into guard as an 11B. I had to have a score of 50 as a line item for combat. I did a retake for the ASVAB and scored 60 in combat. Your line items is what helps you with you job for prior service guys. I just went through all of this about 3 weeks ago. hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by radius
                    Hey Guys,

My friend is prior service and asked me a question. He scored a 48 on his asvab when he went active duty 6 years ago. He is considering joining the guard like I am but I told him the guard has a minimum score of 50 on the asvab. Is this true for prior service as well? He just got off IRR Feb of 2010. He is obviously MOS Q'd (11b) so the guard wouldnt spend money on him for schools. Thanks.
                    score don't matter I belieeeeeve for PS if their doing it the same way, it's the line scores that matter. Whatever job your AIM'ing for needs X,X,X, etc line scores. if you have them, your golden

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                      score don't matter I belieeeeeve for PS if their doing it the same way, it's the line scores that matter. Whatever job your AIM'ing for needs X,X,X, etc line scores. if you have them, your golden
                      We both got back in. He joined the TX guard and I joined the OK guard. His line scores was what they looked at. He had no issues, neither did I. Easy enlistment compared to going active.

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by radius
                        We both got back in. He joined the TX guard and I joined the OK guard. His line scores was what they looked at. He had no issues, neither did I. Easy enlistment compared to going active.

Thanks for all the info.
                        grats and thanks for the service! now s_uck up uncle sam's sugar for yourself

Comment

Working...
                        X