Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RE 3 Waivers in CA Guard

Originally posted by Vet1985
    Oh i have an RE4, however MEPS tells me as well as my old reserve recruiter I fall under the RE3 with the Army.

Sooo... lol, what they are saying is, If I were in the Army and was discharged with the same reason I would have Gotten an RE3. I probably did deserve the RE4. I take responsibility for what I did in the Navy. My record for performance and behavior was still great I just messed up financially.

I have taken care of all of the and am still pursuing to be the best as I was before my incident with my finances in the Navy. I am stable with a clean civilian record, just in hopes I can return to the Armed Forces, Highly unlikely but maybe I have proven that even though I was careless with my personal responsibilities I have shown that with a bit of time I was able to correct it, and move on. Its tough, job wise, but I have a family to feed so thats what keeps me going.

I have been at this for almost 4 years so lol, and I cannot thank the Major enough for even considering helping me out.
    4 years huh? I would think 2005 would ahve been your best year or chance at getting back in

Comment

i got out in 2006 have to wait 6 months i believe before you can start trying,
      Last edited by Vet1985; February 3rd, 2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Oh ok yes thats true

Comment

It easily gets confusing when States administer the rules differently. Being overstrength in so many areas, each state has to figure out where to "raise the bar". Waivers and re-enlistment codes are the easy choice.

Comment

yea I am still keeping my fingers crossed that CA is taking RE waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Vet1985
              yea I am still keeping my fingers crossed that CA is taking RE waivers
              Well what has your recruiter said to you so far? I mean does he seem positive about you being able to enlist?

Comment

no all locals are telling me that I need a Guard Waiver, and CA is only taking state. The major on here is taking a look at it to see if thats the case, but I think it is so I am either going to play the waiting game again or give up. Its been a long time and honestly Im exhausted with trying and doing everything possible. I did this to myself so if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.
                Last edited by Vet1985; February 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I'm sort of in the same boat. I was discharged back in late '99 with a medical discharge, honorable, with an RE-3. Medical was for bilateral stress fractures, nothing serious in my book considering it was the only injury I've ever sustained in my life that was even close to a break even though I've been highly active all my life.

About 6-7 months after I got out I moved from Oregon to Texas, where I was recommended to file with the VA. I filed, and they were going to process my claim. Well, about 2 years later with no reply I finally moved back to Oregon. About a month after I moved back, I got a letter in the mail from the VA saying my claim was approved, and I had a 30% rating with disability pay, along with a back-pay check covering the time since I got out.

I had tried reenlisting into the Texas guard unit while still in Texas, before I had received any VA rating. I went to MEPS and was cleared healthy/fit for service, but they wouldn't let me in because of the RE-3 and claimed it was too soon after my injury to be certain it wasn't permanent or not.

After moving back to Oregon, I tried reenlisting into the guard unit here. In fact, when I first enlisted into the military back in early '96 it was into the local Oregon Army Guard, the same unit I was trying to reup into. I went on drill with them monthly under the "Guard for a day" program, showing them that I still had the physical capabilities necessary for duty. They even had a medical officer come and give me an inspec physical, which he cleared me. But at the time, MEPS wouldn't see me because back then they weren't letting anyone in with a VA rating.

Times have changed, and lately they are letting more and more people into the military even with an active VA rating as long as it's below 40%. But my first recruiter was the laziest SOB I've ever seen wearing a uniform. For nearly 2 years he slacked off, never returning calls or processing anything. I sat by and watched other guys shipping out while I was stuck at home. Finally I have found another recruiter who, although fresh out of schooling, is still working at getting my stuff done.

I've filled out all the paperwork, which seems like a ton more than when I first enlisted, and he's working on the waiver now. He sent a waiver request off a couple months ago, but it was denied because they said it lacked sufficient paperwork. I have had to gather up a few letters of reference, and write my own letter requesting waiver approval. Hopefully the waiver can be accepted within the next week or two.

And yes, your assumption is the same as mine. Those of us that are prior-service that meet the physical/mental requirements for enlistment should be given priority over fresh meat. We already have the training, experience, discipline, and proper attitudes necessary for being a successful warrior. Times have changed, and so has the standard of training. No offense to the newer soldiers, but you have to agree that training in general has weakened in the past decade or so. What could make a recruiter look down on a hardened vet while being so eager to bring in some new kid that might not even pass BCT?

Comment

I feel for you buddy. I got out in 1995 with General under honorable and also given an RE-4. After 15 yrs being out and 40 yrs old, I want to serve again. Was working with a recruiter in Abilene, Texas and was going well, took ASVAB test again, got 3 letters 370's etc....actually was talking abiut when we can go to Ft. Sam Houson San Antonio, Texas MEPS and then he decided to tape me, well, I was like 1.5 inches over in my waist which I was working on, then....everything started falling down, recruiter claimed all along that he could still get me in under ETP Exception to Policies thing but then he finally admitted that the Texas Guard is no longer accepting RE-4 codes at this time. And...he also said that the asvab test that I took and scored a 46 on, which I was NOT happy with at all, but he said that now the Guard requires a score of 50 or above now.

Now, what to do? I know that I can retake asvab test and make them 4 points up, but now recruiter is not wanting to work with me due to he is volunteering to go to Afghanistan like next month. I cant blame the recruiter I guess, but only wish he could have been more honest with me. He said that as recruiters, we dont always tell everything and he was hoping that they Guard would again alow RE-4's back in and if he had told me from the start that rhey were not, most people leave and never come back to the recruiter. Not sure if that is true or not but that is his story and he is sticking to it.

If anyone knows and recruiters in Texas, Oklahoma that will work with me I guess when the Guard starts taking RE-4's please let me know.

Jeff Miller

Comment

Originally posted by David88M
                      I'm prior service Cali. Guard with a General, Under Honorable Condition, RE 3.
                      Trying to reenlist, but all Bay Area recruiter are too lazy to put in the paper work for waivers. Has anyone gotten back in with a RE 3 lately, and who is your recruiter? Just want to serve again. Seems like us prior service soldiers
                      are being treated with no respect by recruiters. They just want fresh 17-year old high-school kids.
                      It's not that we "just want fresh 17-year old high-school kids," but a 17 year old high-school kid is less likely to have all the baggage that will disqualify him/her. Recruiting is tough these days not due to the lack of those willing to join, but because the requirements are getting tougher again. California is at roughly 12% unemployment (18% from some unofficial sources) and there are many who are willing and ready to join. CA ARNG is also overstrength, so the "open production levers" as we call them are few (read my post on requirements to join in California). We are not even taking fresh 17 y/o anymore (no more training seat for HS Juniors).

Comment

Working...
                      X