X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the other services get NCO swords

Since I know there are a lot of former Marines on here and there are certainly lots of soldiers, I should be able to get an answer here.

I remember learning in Marine boot camp circa 1998 that the significance of the Marine NCO sword is that Marine NCO's are the only NCO's in the U.S. armed forces authorized to carry a sword. All others are officers.

Well, as I was shopping for the ASU on Marlow White's website, there are swords for NCO's of other services too. There were Army NCO swords, Navy Chief Petty Officer swords and an identical Cutlass that appeared to be for Coast Guard enlisted.

Has all of this been instituted since 1998 or did my little green bible lie to me?

Re: When did the other services get NCO swords

OK I just found the answer to the Naval cutlass. It doesn't really appear to be authorized. More of like a collector's item. It was designed recently by Marlow White and some Master Chiefs.

Comment

Army NCOs got a sword in 1840. What you were told is just one of the ways Marines try to make themselves feel superior.

http://www.army.mil/yearofthenco/history1.html

Comment

[QUOTE][just one of the ways Marines try to make themselves feel superior/QUOTE]

There you going flaming again. Trust me there is no "try". You have heard second to none? Well it is NONE.

Comment

Department...of...the...Navy

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Lowe
            Department...of...the...Navy
            GI beans and GI gravy...GI wished I joined the Navy... I'm proud of our Naval hertiage.

I'm a roaming soldier of the seas. I'm self centered, cocky, and overbearing; And I can put a round in a ticks a-s-s at 500 meters.

It has been said those who kill for money are mercenaries, and those who kill for fun are sadist. But those who kill for both are United States Marines.

Comment

Naval gazers maybe. I can't believe you didn't say, "The men's dept." At least in the Army we can properly quote others' posts.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
                Naval gazers maybe. I can't believe you didn't say, "The men's dept." At least in the Army we can properly quote others' posts.
                I didn't want to sound cliche'....LOL

Comment

Army NCOs got a sword in 1840. What you were told is just one of the ways Marines try to make themselves feel superior.

http://www.army.mil/yearofthenco/history1.html
                  Well, maybe that's true, but since you went there, I have yet to see an Army NCO who knows the history of his sword - let alone how to use it.

Comment

I've never seen an NCO with a sword, but I haven't been around many events that would call for their use.

Comment

I've never seen an NCO with a sword, but I haven't been around many events that would call for their use.
                      Marine Corps uses swords for D&C.

Comment

The NCO's make a sword arch at the Birthday Ball. Drill instructor routinely drill their platoons with sword in hand. Every Corporal learns how to use it at Corporal's Course. Occasionally, you will see a sword arch at a wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by AmPat
                          The NCO's make a sword arch at the Birthday Ball. Drill instructor routinely drill their platoons with sword in hand. Every Corporal learns how to use it at Corporal's Course. Occasionally, you will see a sword arch at a wedding.
                          +1 The SgtMaj uses it to cut the cake at the Birthday Ball. PL and PSG uses them during COC, retirements, and at the PME academies.

Comment

I bow to the Corps' superior use of the NCO sword.

Comment

M4 > sword

Your age is showing 7011.

Comment

Working...
                              X