Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMEDD Direct Commission process

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMEDD Direct Commission process

    Hello All,
    I am in the process of a direct commission into the National Guard as a physician assistant. I have no prior military service so this is all somewhat foreign to me. So far I have filled out a small mountain of application forms and past-medical screenings. I am scheduled to go to a MEPS station next week to have a physical. I wanted to see if anyone had insight on what to expect next. Application process.. MEPS..swearing in..future service or anything would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Dave in GA

  • #2
    Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

    Have you talked to SFC Werner? If not, she is a wonderful resource.

    Although I am not a PA yet, I did join the ALARNG as a PA student this summer. I am also from Ga, but since I am going to school in Al I choose to join the AL Guard. From when I submitted my "complete" package with physical, it took 4 months to recieve my commission.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

      It is funny that you mention that. The recruter dropped that name as someone who would be helpful as well. He did not give me any contact info, but might get to meet her after the physical. I figured that the process would take awhile but I should make the deadline for the Dec 7th boards. Looks like you have some previous experience with the military.
      In hindsight I wish I would have joined a service while in school to keep the student loan burden down. So you are making a good decision. Are you at UAB? What year? Good luck with the rest of school and on the PANCE.
      David in Ga

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

        I recently joined with no prior service as a direct commision registered nurse. After the physical, my small mountain of paperwork, and my packet was complete it took a couple of months to get boarded, plus another to get sworn in. Total time was about 6 months. Find someone who can help you with uniforms, and teach you the bare basics about army courtesy, etc. Feel free to pm me if I can help you with anything.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

          Originally posted by peckdr View Post
          It is funny that you mention that. The recruter dropped that name as someone who would be helpful as well. He did not give me any contact info, but might get to meet her after the physical. I figured that the process would take awhile but I should make the deadline for the Dec 7th boards. Looks like you have some previous experience with the military.
          In hindsight I wish I would have joined a service while in school to keep the student loan burden down. So you are making a good decision. Are you at UAB? What year? Good luck with the rest of school and on the PANCE.
          David in Ga
          SFC Werner in one word, awesome. Even though I am in Alabama she has been more than helpful when I needed some guidance with my own package.

          I am at South (university of South Alabama) and I am in my 2nd semester. I start my clinicals in Aug of 2011 and should graduate July of 2012.
          Last edited by GaEMTDiver; November 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

            Just to update. The recruiter failed to send the medical prescreening forms in on time so I missed the scheduled MEPS physical. So now I am being told that a contract physician will be easier and faster. Anyone have any insight into whether or not that is true?
            David in GA

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

              After getting the run around by MEPS in trying to get a physical set up with pre-screen/med review/etc., my recruiter finally get me into the DoDMERB physical pipeline. Once that was going, it was fast and very painless. Super smooth process.

              From the time I heard I was entered into the DoDMBERB system until I had vision check and physical (you have to go to different docs for this) was about three weeks. Most of that was due to the scheduling of the contracted physicians.

              Once you get the word you arein the system, you log onto the Concorde site and then find out what docs they assigned you for your vision and physical exams. The vision exam needs to happen before the physical so schedule that one first. After each exam, the docs upload the exam results directly to Concorde/DoDMERB. You can see where you are in the process online. Vision exam took about 10-15 minutes. Physical was about 30-35 minutes. For the vision exam, the report was uploaded later that morning. The physical was loaded a day or two later (my exam was on a Friday and as I recall the results were uploaded on Monday or Tuesday). Very fast.

              Of course, if you need any medical waivers you can get hung up again. That is where I'm stuck now - waiting on a medical waiver from NGB...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                That sounds exactly like my current situation. I actually received an email today from the DoDMETS system and am working to schedule the exams. Will have to be after the new year. Hope all goes quickly for you with the medical waiver. Hopefully, I will not need any waivers. Only "yes" answers were for glasses/contacts and a broken bone in the 90's.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                  During the physical the doc addresses any yes answers and writes out an explanation in his/her report. The doc looks at what info you included and asks you about it, examines you, makes a note.
                  I broke my nose playing basketball in the early 90s and that flagged a yes (my only break to report). The hospital did not have any records that far back so I made note of that in my explanation. During the exam, the doc looked at my nose, noted that it had a little crook in it and moved on. No issue from DoDMERB when they saw it and the doc's explanation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                    The whole process took me almost a year, did comissioning physical in December 08, swore in Aug 09. Be patient. Get to know the state AMEDD recruiter/technician. He/she is a tremendous asset. Contact them frequently.

                    If you have any other questions feel free to post them. Your experience will vary greatly depending on what type of unit you are assigned to. I'm with an infantry battalion and drill with them (although currently deployed with a different state). Med Det PA's do physicals, PHA's, SRP's, etc...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                      I'm a prior service enlisted medic (68W/68S), with 17 yrs service. I now possess a masters in public health and am more than half way done the PhD in emergency management (concentration in public health). I'm 41 yrs old, good on ht/wt & health. I'm not having any luck local with regard to a 72D commission, specifically due to the lack of vacancies. It seems there is a lack of "slots" in PA, therefore, I'm looking for help locating positions either in NY or Delaware NG. I'm also very open to other suggestions for slots.

                      Thanks in advance for any help on this...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                        Aside from contacting the AMEDD recruiter in those states, I cant offer much more. The 72D AOC is a fairly small one in the Army, and especially in the ARNG where you dont have much for medical assets.

                        I know it may be a suggestion that isn't possible, but active duty has a good amount of openings.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                          I'm a SMP ROTC Cadet looking at changing a few things and becoming a PA. Being in ROTC, does anyone know if this will this extend my service obligation or how this will affect me ? I was just told about a $20,000 per year bonus for commissioning as a PA. To receive this or the slrp that comes with the PA commission does it matter if you commission rotc or direct commission ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                            Originally posted by Wayne09 View Post
                            I'm a SMP ROTC Cadet looking at changing a few things and becoming a PA. Being in ROTC, does anyone know if this will this extend my service obligation or how this will affect me ? I was just told about a $20,000 per year bonus for commissioning as a PA. To receive this or the slrp that comes with the PA commission does it matter if you commission rotc or direct commission ?
                            1. ROTC will commission you as a basic branch officer.
                            2. Commissioning as a PA in the Guard is an entirely separate, additional process. This is true whether you're already in the Guard, or a fellow off the street.
                            3. First decide what you want to do, and then figure out what it will cost (and if you don't like the cost, adjust your plans). I'm not getting a sense that you're clear about your goals. Be advised that you are welcome to serve as a basic branch officer in the Guard while serving as a civilian PA during the week. You have no obligation to serve as a Guard PA just because you're otherwise qualified.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: AMEDD Direct Commission process

                              Originally posted by bpasquale416 View Post
                              I'm a prior service enlisted medic (68W/68S), with 17 yrs service. I now possess a masters in public health and am more than half way done the PhD in emergency management (concentration in public health). I'm 41 yrs old, good on ht/wt & health. I'm not having any luck local with regard to a 72D commission, specifically due to the lack of vacancies. It seems there is a lack of "slots" in PA, therefore, I'm looking for help locating positions either in NY or Delaware NG. I'm also very open to other suggestions for slots.

                              Thanks in advance for any help on this...
                              Did you get anymore information about the 72D billet? I am currently finishing my packet with a medical recruiter in Virginia for the 13Oct 11 DCA selection panel. I am applying to active/reserve side though because the Virginia guard is hard to find. I would love to be a part of the Va guard if I could. I have a master's degree in Industrial Hygiene. Can someone here please tell me what to expect with the upcoming board? what does the board look for in an applicant? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X