X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Dollar for First Salute

Not sure if this is the right section to post under, but figured it would work

I commission fairly soon, and am working on gathering up what I will need. My question is on the silver dollar salute. Is there any regulation on what coin, such as series, etc? My first salute will be to a NCO who has been extremely influential both professionally and personally, so I would like to make it as significant as I can without having to take out loans to purchase it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Silver Dollar for First Salute

Times are tough. Go with a Susan B. Anthony or golden dollar.

Comment

Check out the excellent discussion on this topic in this thread (searching the forum is always a good idea).

This is a tradition, not a regulation.
      I've heard of people using a coin with the year they were born or the year they were commissioned.

Comment

In my opinion, Morgan dollars are the nicest ones. They were minted up to 1905 or thereabouts if memory serves. You can get them for $12-15, up to $50 for the most immaculate and rarest examples. Eisenhower dollars are really cheap because they're kinda lame, but they'll certainly work. Peace dollars are good too, second only to Morgans.

Comment

American Eagle Silver Dollar $25-$60

That's the one I used.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
            American Eagle Silver Dollar $25-$60

That's the one I used.
            I didn't even know about this tradition. Great, more stuff I have to buy haha

Comment

This is an older thread but I will add my 2 cents. I commissioned in 2008 and at the time I just went to the bank and bought some Dwight D. Eisenhower dollars. This was an expeditious solution but certainly not the best as any coin you are to buy at the bank, has NO silver content and thus is NOT a real "silver dollar". Since then I have gotten interested in coins and found that real silver dollars are readily available. As far as I can tell, the regs across ALL branches of services imply that a REAL silver dollar is to be used for the first salute. The silver in these coins really represents a fidelity to a standard, and contributes to this portion of the ceremony as the start meaningful endeavor. If you want to present a coin that really packs a punch, check out

http://www.silverdollarsalute.me/

It is reputable and Veteran owned. How do I know? I started the company.

Comment

Originally posted by USAVET View Post
                This is an older thread but I will add my 2 cents. I commissioned in 2008 and at the time I just went to the bank and bought some Dwight D. Eisenhower dollars. This was an expeditious solution but certainly not the best as any coin you are to buy at the bank, has NO silver content and thus is NOT a real "silver dollar". Since then I have gotten interested in coins and found that real silver dollars are readily available. As far as I can tell, the regs across ALL branches of services imply that a REAL silver dollar is to be used for the first salute. The silver in these coins really represents a fidelity to a standard, and contributes to this portion of the ceremony as the start meaningful endeavor. If you want to present a coin that really packs a punch, check out

+1. That is what we did. We just went to the bank and brought a roll.

Comment

Reg's across all branches? LOL give me an AR number and paragraph.

Comment

Sounds easy enough if you give one to the first enlisted that salutes, but if you want to go the NCO who helped you the most route - then how does that work for DCOs? Is it bad form to wait for our 5 months of training and decide then?

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                      Sounds easy enough if you give one to the first enlisted that salutes, but if you want to go the NCO who helped you the most route - then how does that work for DCOs? Is it bad form to wait for our 5 months of training and decide then?
                      Supposed to be for the first 20. So hang low for 4 months; avoid walking around base and then you be able to get that NCO to be one of the first twenty to salute you.

They don't call it tradition for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        Supposed to be for the first 20. So hang low for 4 months; avoid walking around base and then you be able to get that NCO to be one of the first twenty to salute you.

They don't call it tradition for a reason.
                        Maybe I missed the AR but I thought it was for the First Salute or for the NCO that meant the most in your development.

You buy the first salute and earn all the others, is what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          Maybe I missed the AR but I thought it was for the First Salute or for the NCO that meant the most in your development.

You buy the first salute and earn all the others, is what I heard.
                          You right but my senior TAC suggested we get a roll. After our graduation; many military members formed outside with us taking pictures (giving salutes) so we had more than one to give. And it is actually the first one that salutes you.

I am going to try to get that video for you. Here is something you are familiar with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIDfw87N-Y

http://www.minnesotanationalguard.or...x.php?item=114

http://www.joelscoins.com/silversalute.htm

http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq/f-coi...st-salute.html
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 24th, 2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                            Reg's across all branches? LOL give me an AR number and paragraph.
                            Well, I didn't man to write "regs" but rather "recs for" recommendation, thanks for pointing that out.
                            It is recommended across all branches that a "silver dollar" be used for the first salute as part of a long standing tradition.
                            Not to split hairs but in my opinion a dollar coin that has no silver content is not really a true silver dollar.

Morgans are a great choice and are a very popular American coin. The 40% silver Eisenhower "Ike" dollar is much more affordable but you can't get them at the bank as they were never released for general circulation. All coin shops will have them and are readily found online as well.

There are also some very prized commemorative coins produced by the US mint, like the 230th Anniversary of the United States Marine Corps commemorative or the Army commemorative coin but they are nearly 70 dollars.

At any rate, it is a once in a lifetime event but affordability is certainly a factor.

Comment

Well, I didn't man to write "regs" but rather "recs for" recommendation, thanks for pointing that out.
                              It is recommended across all branches that a "silver dollar" be used for the first salute as part of a long standing tradition.
                              Not to split hairs but in my opinion a dollar coin that has no silver content is not really a true silver dollar.

Morgans are a great choice and are a very popular American coin. The 40% silver Eisenhower "Ike" dollar is much more affordable but you can't get them at the bank as they were never released for general circulation. All coin shops will have them and are readily found online as well.

There are also some very prized commemorative coins produced by the US mint, like the 230th Anniversary of the United States Marine Corps commemorative or the Army commemorative coin but they are nearly 70 dollars.

At any rate, it is a once in a lifetime event but affordability is certainly a factor.
                              Dont pay any mind to Chaplain. He is just sore because when he gave a silver dollar for his first salute; the salutee threw it back at him. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X