X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisted - ROTC/SMP - Commission

I have considered enlisting in the National Guard on my way to an Officers Commission through ROTC. My main motivation is the added educational benefit, as I will be in school for at least three years.

My thought was to enlist in February and graduate from AIT around August 2011, begin school in September and contract with ROTC in September 2012.

So at this point I have been told I would be "promoted" to E-5, and shadow an officer in my unit. Upon college graduation, I would rank my Officer MOS choices, and be assigned based on the needs of the Army and my college and unit performance.

My questions revolved around the SMP experience...

1. Can I be assigned to a particular unit, and not receive a commission in that field...but a different one?

Say if I chose an enlisted MOS based on an enlistment bonus, like 88M Motor Transport Operator, I would be in a Transportation unit close to my home for a year before I contract, and then I would be in SMP...
    Military Police and Air Defense Artillery Interest me the most. However there is either no bonus or very lengthy training that would interfere with my school schedule.

2. Would a Military Police or other type of unit other than transportation allow me to do SMP for two years although I had previously drilled in a Transportation Unit as an AIT graduate?

Basically I would go from I'd say an E-3 with my unit to E-5 due to SMP and then I would want to go do SMP with a Military Police Unit not my transportation unit as I would be shadowing a transportation officer and my goal is Military police...

3. Worse case scenario after SMP with the transportation or whatever other unit I had enlisted into...can I be guaranteed Military Police, or Air Defense Artillery...or am I basically left with less options as a previously enlisted man.

I know if I went to BCT, and BCT alone, I would get to choose my unit, correct me if I'm wrong. And this Iím sure would allow for a much easier transition into this unit and then obviously the possibility of being granted the main MOS of that Unit (MP)

This is what I want to do, is this possible.

Re: Enlisted - ROTC/SMP - Commission

Originally posted by SeanR87
    I have considered enlisting in the National Guard on my way to an Officers Commission through ROTC. My main motivation is the added educational benefit, as I will be in school for at least three years.

My thought was to enlist in February and graduate from AIT around August 2011, begin school in September and contract with ROTC in September 2012.

So at this point I have been told I would be "promoted" to E-5, and shadow an officer in my unit. Upon college graduation, I would rank my Officer MOS choices, and be assigned based on the needs of the Army and my college and unit performance.

You won't be promoted. It is an administrative advancement for pay only. Your rank will become cadet while contracted with ROTC.

My questions revolved around the SMP experience...

1. Can I be assigned to a particular unit, and not receive a commission in that field...but a different one?

Say if I chose an enlisted MOS based on an enlistment bonus, like 88M Motor Transport Operator, I would be in a Transportation unit close to my home for a year before I contract, and then I would be in SMP...
    Military Police and Air Defense Artillery Interest me the most. However there is either no bonus or very lengthy training that would interfere with my school schedule.

Yes. Enlisted MOS has nothing to do with officer branch. Be careful with bonus plans. Be sure you time everything right. Talk to your ROO about it.

2. Would a Military Police or other type of unit other than transportation allow me to do SMP for two years although I had previously drilled in a Transportation Unit as an AIT graduate?

Basically I would go from I'd say an E-3 with my unit to E-5 due to SMP and then I would want to go do SMP with a Military Police Unit not my transportation unit as I would be shadowing a transportation officer and my goal is Military police...

The commander will have to agree to accept you. That is part of the paperwork for SMP. It's routine and won't likely be a problem.

3. Worse case scenario after SMP with the transportation or whatever other unit I had enlisted into...can I be guaranteed Military Police, or Air Defense Artillery...or am I basically left with less options as a previously enlisted man.

No gurantees for active duty unless you are top 10% nationally, ARNG works differently from AC and state to state.

I know if I went to BCT, and BCT alone, I would get to choose my unit, correct me if I'm wrong. And this I’m sure would allow for a much easier transition into this unit and then obviously the possibility of being granted the main MOS of that Unit (MP)

Not really. Your phrasing is a bit confusing, but you always enlist into a specific unit when joining the ARNG. That unit may not have any slot available for 2LTs when you commission. It all depends.

This is what I want to do, is this possible.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

As far as there being no guarantees for active duty, when it comes down to choosing a branch for the National Guard, what are my options?

I was told I rank my choices.

Comment

The biggest determination as to what you get component-wise is if you accept a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Contract or not.

If you do, you are going to go NG or AR. Period. No way around it. If you don't, then you can compete for an Active slot. At my school, out of last years commissed class of seniors, 4 out of 40 got shafted on thier choices. Everyone else got thier component of choice.

So, just something to think about when you take this plunge. In my case, I am guard and I am contracting w/ ROTC as a non-scholarship cadet (grad student) with the intent of going active. I am paying for grad school using FTA & STA.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701
          The biggest determination as to what you get component-wise is if you accept a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Contract or not.

If you do, you are going to go NG or AR. Period. No way around it. If you don't, then you can compete for an Active slot. At my school, out of last years commissed class of seniors, 4 out of 40 got shafted on thier choices. Everyone else got thier component of choice.

So, just something to think about when you take this plunge. In my case, I am guard and I am contracting w/ ROTC as a non-scholarship cadet (grad student) with the intent of going active. I am paying for grad school using FTA & STA.
          I think he is asking about branches not component. For branches, cadets do rank their choices and their performance determines how likely they are to get what they want. Branch assignments are based on a nation wide OML.

Branch choices for the NG depends on how your state does business. In Mississippi I was given a list of all the empty 2LT slots in the state, and I could have whichever I wanted as long as the commander would agree to have me. I don't know how your state does it. Find out who your Officer Strength Manager (OSM) is, and he can tell you.

Unrelated, if you are commissioning through ROTC why do you have an OCS avatar.
          Last edited by cyall; August 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Cyall is right I was talking about Branch but this lead me to thinking - Am I also not guaranteed a component?

Going to BCT for the Guard, and doing SMP with the Guard if this is not something that I can just ask for, but rather compete for, can I still be selected for the Active Army when my desire and request is the National Guard?

Also, just curious what's this "OML"

Comment

OML = Order of Merit List. All it is is a national ranking of cadets by performance.

Active Duty is competitive. As jmclaughlin1701 said as long as you don't sign a Guranteed Reserve Force Duty Agreement you can be an SMP cadet and still compete for an active slot. There were 400-500 cadets that wanted active duty force accessed into the reserve component because the active army has nowhere to put them. (Some ROTC programs are screwing others by exceeding their missions for accessions.) If you want reserve component you can have it by asking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
                I think he is asking about branches not component. For branches, cadets do rank their choices and their performance determines how likely they are to get what they want. Branch assignments are based on a nation wide OML.

Branch choices for the NG depends on how your state does business. In Mississippi I was given a list of all the empty 2LT slots in the state, and I could have whichever I wanted as long as the commander would agree to have me. I don't know how your state does it. Find out who your Officer Strength Manager (OSM) is, and he can tell you.

Unrelated, if you are commissioning through ROTC why do you have an OCS avatar.
                Been working on that. Sent Super Mod Tuevil a request to change it a while ago. Was going OCS intially (and started the process), but I failed to see the benefit of 18 mos of OCS versus 24 mos of ROTC where I get a master's degree paid for in full by Uncle Sam.

Comment

Nothing wrong with your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall

There were 400-500 cadets that wanted active duty force accessed into the reserve component because the active army has nowhere to put them.it.

At my university, if you did not get Active Duty for your top 5 choices, (say Infantry, MI, Aviation, Field Artillery, MP) you could choose a different branch (such as Chemical, Quartermaster) if you really wanted active duty. There are ways, you just have to be a good soldier and take advantage of the opportunities afforded to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
                      At my university, if you did not get Active Duty for your top 5 choices, (say Infantry, MI, Aviation, Field Artillery, MP) you could choose a different branch (such as Chemical, Quartermaster) if you really wanted active duty. There are ways, you just have to be a good soldier and take advantage of the opportunities afforded to you.
                      Doesn't matter what happened at your University. The fact remains that Cadet Command force accessed about 500 cadets into the RC this year. Don't claim anybody can get AC by being a good soldier. Mainly because many cadets aren't soldiers yet, but also because it isn't true. The AC only needs so many 2LTs, and more than it needs are being produced by the commissioning sources.

Comment

Working...
                      X